Chef'n Stem Gem Strawberry Huller
Price:$7.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on August 1, 2011
watch this video.
2424 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
940 of 1,040 people found the following review helpful
on June 29, 2012
This is a remarkable little device that does what I purchased it to do, remove the stems from strawberries. Unfortunately, it works too well.

First, I removed the stems from the strawberries at the breakfast table. All well and good.

Then, I went into the fridge and removed the stems from the strawberries there. Excessive, my wife says.

So I went to the local supermarket and removed the stems from several boxes of strawberries. The manager told me to stop. But he didn't say anything about the tomatoes, which I began to de-stem. The police office was much less friendly than I expected, but at least he didn't arrest me.

When I got back home, I started planting tomatoes. When my yard was full I started planting tomatoes in the neighbor's yard. The police officer was even less friendly, but he was kindly compared to the warden.

At least they let me remove the stems from the tomatoes in the prison kitchen, and with good behavior, I should be paroled in a couple of months.

So if you buy one of these, be careful not to get too excited.
3434 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 15, 2013
Way better than the banana slicer. This puppy really works. Doubles as a nose hair trimmer. No, in all seriousness, it's a great product. Decapitates strawberries in no time.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 12, 2010
This is one fantastic product! Simply push the green button (the stem) down to open the claw, insert into the strawberry, release the button, twist and pull the hull out. So simple! Works like a charm, each and every time. And it is adorable and very easy to find in my gadget drawer. No more poking myself with the cheap tweezer type product or cutting off more of the "good" strawberry than I want to.

Recently tried it on tomatoes and works amazingly well to core cherry tomatoes for stuffing as little appetizers also. What a fun and functional product!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 12, 2012
I could tell when strawberry season was starting by the knot developing in the pit of my stomach. I dreaded what came next, the little green baskets filled with strawberries stacked on each other like animals.
It was bad enough that they were picked before they had a chance to fully develop, to grow, to ripen!

I knew how they felt...their seedy skin bruised by a clumsy truck driver who was too busy texting to avoid a pothole, or the errant assistant produce manager mindlessly throwing these baskets full of ruby jewels of nature up on a display shelf and dropping them on the unforgiving concrete floor. A mindless mother slapping them endlessly for something they didn't do.

There is nothing more shocking to me than consumers who take the time to bathe these beauties properly, then deciding to torture them! Ripping out their stems by the roots, or twisting them like some sort of fleshy wind up toy; each twist making the berry scream even louder! Yes, berries feel pain, and I am cursed with the ability to hear their pain. I hear berry screams. It is worse than the sound a mother makes when she screams at her teenager to stop wetting the bed. Cutting off the stems does not help, as that is tantamount to scalping a man alive, except the Native Americans did not eat the man they scalped.

I moved to the Midwest to avoid getting any fresh berries, and that seemed to help a bit, but I always prayed for a better solution to killing my berry brethren, and Chef'n StemGem was born.

The StemGem's blade cuts through the top if the berry's head, as easy as an icepick through a cerebellum. Berry death is achieved quickly, and humanely. I can tell you the berries feel nervous when you first bring them home, but when they see the StemGem coming for them they believe it is a berry buddy, due to the fact that the StemGem looks just like one of them. A Chef'n brilliant idea. It looks so real, that when I first laid eyes on the contraption, I started to strangle my therapist who showed it to me. I thought he was going to force-feed me strawberries for a week like my mother did back in March of '82. When he kicked me off of him, regained his color and explained to me what the device truly was, I went to hug him. I was stopped by security, who had already arrived and shot me with three taser blasts because they thought I was trying to hurt him again. Idiots.

I highly recommend the StemGem, I only wish I could have one in my current accommodations, but hey, it saved me from getting life!
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 10, 2011
I guess I'm going to be the lone bad review here. This huller may work well for the huge, hard strawberries at the supermarket, but it does not work on ripe local berries, which are the only kind worth eating in my opinion. Local strawberries are smaller than the monsters you see at the supermarket, and are brought ripe to the Farmer's Market or from a U-Pick farm. This huller smushes and destroys those ripe berries, no matter how careful you are with it. I bought this little device to aid in canning strawberry jam, I was really looking forward to speeding up the process of removing the stems. Unfortunately after ruining several berries I went back to using a paring knife.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I am beside myself with glee at the moment. I purchased one of these this week at the store since strawberry season is near. I just hulled a quart box of strawberries in about 5 minutes!! An absolutely awesome and well engineered kitchen item. I've been cooking for over 40 years and have hulled a truckload of strawberries in my life. I'll never go back to a knife for sure. This is an absolute must have for any strawberry lover. Perfect results every time.
on April 24, 2014
After reading all the glowing reviews I purchased one of these from Amazon. I must say, I was looking forward to using this incredible little kitchen tool since I was preparing Strawberry Pies for Easter which required hulling of 8 pounds of strawberries. Well, the device arrived and I proceeded to use it as shown in the videos.

I only made it through 2 lbs. of strawberries before I said to myself, "are you kidding me"? First off you are required to apply force to open the "jaws" of this contraption and then push it into the strawberry through the pedunkle (yes folks, this is what the stem is referred to) and into the pith in order to remove the hull. The problems were as follows: 1.) the jaws open very narrowly and since you are to push into the berry, the curve of the jaws forces them to close so you have to apply some pressure. If you have ripe berries, good luck keeping them from being crushed. 2.) The jaws are not sharp enough to penetrate the pendunkle leaves; same problem as the 1st issue in regard to crushing or attempting to create a deep cavity for stuffing. 3.) While the device provides slip resistance when wet, the shape lacks the ability to provide a natural grip.

Now, being totally frustrated, I made a emergency trip to Bed Bath and Beyond to see what they had and SUCCESS! They had a OXO Good Grips Strawberry Huller like this:

which you can find, here, on Amazon. While this is just a little more expensive than my initial purchase here, it is head and shoulder above in speed and results. You can easily hull any type of berry, no matter how ripe, in a very quick simple motion and the huller does most of the work. The blades easily cut through the pedunkle and, with a quarter twist and pull, the hull is removed. You depress the plunger and the hull is ejected. No springs here and the only force required is pushing the blades into the berry and lightly depressing the plunger once the hull is removed.

I finished off the last 6 pounds in just a little over the time it took me to do the first 2 pounds with this device. You are also left with a berry that is better suited for stuffing if that is what you intend to do. Buy one of these and check it out for yourselves!

Happy hulling this strawberry season!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 20, 2014
I originally bought this tool 2 years ago and it worked perfectly. I lost it and purchased a new one recently and as others pointed out it is of much lower quality and the blades now blend when inserted into a strawberry and they also damage the strawberry. In other words the way this tool is currently produced it is useless.

Either someone is unloading a cheap knockoff on amazon or the product has changed manufacturer and is using a different type of metal which easily bends and makes the product worthless.

So the overwhelming positive reviews on this product reflect the original product which was a definite must have 5 star and the latest negative reviews reflect the latest manufacturing standards. As I don't know which one I'll be getting I can no longer buy this product on amazon.
on June 20, 2012
I bought this tool vs. the Oxo strawberry huller mainly due to seeing the video review here. The person hulling those berries was able to make quick work of it and did hardly any damage to the berry itself.
I brought home almost 8 lbs of strawberries yesterday and nearly all of them hulled in 30 minutes! And just the hulls and stems were taken out, the berries were absolutely unharmed. Really great product!
review image