5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE it! Great capacity!
Published on April 19, 2011 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Plastic top broke after a few uses
The chopper cannot handle anything hard like carrots. The plastic piece on top that rotates the blades broke when I used it to chop carrots. Nice idea for a chopper, but item needs to be made of more solid material and not plastic in order for it to be useful.
Published on December 20, 2011 by Jetster

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE it! Great capacity!, April 19, 2011
This review is from: Chef'n VeggiChop Hand-Powered Food Chopper, Arugula (Kitchen)
We had a chef'n herb mincer which was similar to this product, but a lot smaller. My hubby used it to chop greens for our tortoises and it made the chore a lot easier. He was pretty upset when the herb mincer broke so I went on Amazon to find a surprise replacement. The only thing I found that was close was the VeggiChop. I am so glad that I ordered it! Not only does it hold a lot more of the greens than the herb mincer, but it also chops or minces onions, garlic and just about anything else in seconds! We have even used it to chop tomatoes without turning them into a pulpy mess. I can fit a whole large onion (quartered) in this thing and there are no more watery eyes to deal with! I was curious as to the capacity of the bowl because it oddly has no indication of that in the product description that I saw. I was able to fit 3 cups of liquid in the bowl, so that at least gives some idea of its size.. The plastic circle that is used as the handle to pull the string is very large and easy to grasp. We really love this chopper so much that the only problem we've had with it has been sharing it with each other :)

4.0 out of 5 stars This is AWESOME FOOD CHOPPER for small chopping tasks., September 18, 2011
R. Bob Russell (Colfax WA. United States) - See all my reviews
This a great food chopper! I use it to chop ingredients for salsa. Hard to see in the photo but the bottom blade is plastic and is angled up. The 3 metal blades are like razor blades so be careful. Works great (REALLY GREAT!) for individual ingredients like tomatoes and onions but not so good cilantro. You might consider just using a chef knife to chop the cilantro.

The green color model in "real life" is a much darker shade of green than shown in the photo. I would have preferred the "lighter" brighter green as shown in the photo.

IMPORTANT: There is no way to disassemble the top pull string part to completely clean this chopper! Hence the lower rating! (Obviously, for this reason this chopper cannot be used in a restaurant or commercial food service environments.)

This is AWESOME FOOD CHOPPER for small chopping tasks.

5.0 out of 5 stars efficient, January 22, 2012
I've purchased maybe 40-50 things on amazon, I always check reviews and take great pleasure in buying the best reviewed, most liked items. However, I rarely return the favor and review something myself. This would be an exception, I like this chopper enough to take the effort to do so.

The thing I like most about it is there is no effort wasted. Just pull it fast 4 or 5 times, like you're starting a lawn mower. I was laughed at for that motion, but quickly got over it because it makes short work of anything you put in. I do a whole onion at once that's quartered first, or a whole carrot and it works great. Even shredding lettuce is easy, you just have to jerk it a bit quicker to overcome the weightlessness of the lettuce.

If you're looking at the other choppers, watch 'slap chop rap' on youtube, (click 'helpful' if you thought it was funny!), you can't fit a whole onion in one of those, and I HATE chopping with a knife, it just takes too long and that let's the tears run, but this VeggiChop is just right!

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!!!!!!, April 24, 2011
Ever since my tupperware chopper broke several years ago, I have been looking for an affordable replacement.I loved the mechanical process, and no need for batteries or outlets. As the mother of a large family, I usually avoid kitchen gadget, usually preferring simple knives and pots and pan. However, I often cook soups and stews and like to get those veggies chopped quickly.

Now, I have that replacement...it works wonderfully! Pulling the string activates the spinning of the blades. It has worked on onions, peppers and herbs. I haven't yet tried carrots (this is what broke my last one) but I think it should work. It is sturdy and easy to use and to clean.

highly recommend...who needs a Cuisinart? not me!

I would like the bowl to be bigger - do they make one bigger?

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy product, love its easy in chopping!, May 25, 2012
Reading the reviews, I knew it was a great product, and now I know why.

It arrived promptly as expected in its own little box with instructions.

It is super easy to easy. Make sure you lock it in place before you use it, cos the lid needs to fit snugly so you avoid it flying off. I love the hand-cranking motion, makes you feel like you are doing exercise, and the vegetable gets chopped finely, and I love that it stays inside, not messing up cutting boards, by using graters.

I grate Cauliflower quite often, so I tried it for this, and it worked beautifully, I pulled it apart as florets, and put them in. While 5-6 pulls didn't coarsely grind it like it claims, within 7-8 pulls, it was a beautifully processed finely grated cauliflower, without the mess that usually accompanies it.

We have been finding excuses to cut veges in that, and me and my husband keep vying for a chance to use it before the other gets to it. We even made yoghurt smoothie in that - added some frozen berries, yoghurt, and protein powder, and while it didnt mash it completely like a blender would, it made them really really small, which was interesting and tasty in its own way, cos its like eating and drinking the smoothie.

Only peeves :
Because the blades are quite sharp, I am scared to wash it and leave it outside to dry on the dish rack in case my husband or I can reach to grab a glass, and scratch ourselves with the blade, it has happened yet cos as soon as I wash it, I wipe it with tissue, and put the blade back inside for safety. Something to consider if you have kids in the house, it is a raw edged blade, and very sharp. While washing I scratched myself with the slightest brush against it.

It says 5-6 pulls to chop coarsely, but with that many pulls, depending on the vegetable you are cutting, it cuts unevenly (I tried large chunks of carrots, potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli), and results in shapeless chunks, but that cannot be helped, and if you want coarse chop in a specific shape, you should probably use a knife.

Overall, very pleased with the product, Just adds one more tool to our kitchen tools of mandolin slicer, grater, and chopping board, but I see my family using this a lot more often than some of the other equipment.

Update : (May 29, 2012)
Its been couple weeks since I purchased this, and I have been using it very often. Just yesterday I noticed the first negative about the product.
I wanted to finely chop up some carrots for some salad, and just broke long carrots into 3 pieces (1" dia). The chopper couldn't get through the flesh. It cut thru the carrot piece, and the piece got stuck in the blade. So I got all the pieces out, and cut them into quarters, and then it went smoothly.
And the other negative being that if you are holding down the top with your other hand for grip, and pulling with the other one, steer clear from the exit of the wire, cos it sliced me slightly with the heat it generated. Not really bad, but a singing or whatever they call it. I wasn't too careful I guess. It doesn't hurt today.

If I pull downwards instead of at hip level (If your hand hurts and you are taking a different stand), then black marks appear on the lid. While its aesthetic value is hurt, it still performs great. I will post a picture of the black marks. I think if you did it at the hip level always, it wont happen.

Update : (Mar 2013)

It fell down from a 2 feet height onto tile floor and got a crack on its side. We were careless in handling it. But in spite of the crack, it still functions, so thats cool. However, when it fell down, the inner white portion separated from the top handle, and there was a whole lot of gunk in there like wet fungi that we washed. It was disgusting, and once we fitted it back together, we werent able to open it anymore. That is a design flaw. To get it open, we have to hit it hard against the ground! Wish we had not seen the insides! But still functions, we use it lesser, and I am buying my second one, and another one to gift couples who enjoy cooking like us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfect, February 15, 2011
This thing works perfectly. I use it for mincing garlic, chopping veggies, etc. It's very well designed, durable and works in seconds. Well worth the purchase price, you won't be disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Plastic top broke after a few uses, December 20, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Chopper ever, March 28, 2011
Easiest and most convenient chopper I've ever used. Chops everything evenly and much faster than motor driven choppers. Takes up less space and easier to clean

1.0 out of 5 stars Pitched it after ONE use, August 9, 2012
Cutting is so uneven as to be comical. I put some raw baby carrots in this to chop them a bit for a salad, instead of doing all that fine work on baby carrots with a knife... it jammed immediately. Ended up with clumps of half-cut carrot sticking to the blades. What was cut was ragged and nasty-looking.

I'm at a complete loss to explain all the good ratings here, unless everybody is using it to chop... Jell-o.

Edit, because of a whiny reply: Maybe this thing would work to make salsa, but why not spend your money on something that can chop something a little more substantial than tomatoes and MAYBE onions? I recommend splurging like $1.20 more and getting the "Black & Decker EHC650 2-Speed Food Chopper with 3-Cup Bowl", also available at Amazon, because that's what I've been using for months now.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT CHOPPER!!!, April 15, 2011
I love this chopper. It is perfect for things like onions and such. It helps in not having your eyes burn and tear and makes it so much easier to chop, not to mention SAFER. It is easy to use and to clean, and easy to handle. I wish I had bought it sooner.