5.0 out of 5 stars I took a chance, and hit a homerun!
I've needed a sharpener for quite some time. I knew my knives were in rough shape when I could use a cheap hand held and actually notice a difference.

I really didn't think I could justify an expensive sharpener when all I need to do it correct and them maintain the edges.

I was right, mine were rough!! It took a little more than the instructions...
Published on October 18, 2011 by J. Kennedy

3.0 out of 5 stars Fixed
Published 11 months ago by Ronald J. Rutherford

5.0 out of 5 stars I took a chance, and hit a homerun!, October 18, 2011
This review is from: Chef's Choice 220 Hybrid Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener, White and Brushed Stainless Steel (Kitchen)

I was right, mine were rough!! It took a little more than the instructions said in order to get the edge corrected on mine, but since I did, I've hit them on the manual hone side for a couple of strokes and I'm slicing like a mad man!

For the home casual cook that isn't sharpening blades constantly and only needs to fix then maintain good edges this thing is great and at a price I almost passed on because it was so low!! I thought I'd still need to spend a lot more to get a good sharpener, even for my needs. At first when I realized what they meant by "hybrid", meaning what you use the most is manual, not power, I was disappointed, until I used it. It really does only take a stroke or 2 to touch up the edge and it's easy to do without having to pull it out and plug it in. It's not fancy looking but it's built really solid and easy to use and easy to store.

As the instructions will warn, it may leave faint rub marks on some blades and it did on 1 or 2 of mine. But they're faint and not a problem. It may also be me, using it for the first time.

I'd highly recommend this sharpener.

5.0 out of 5 stars Home cooks answer to the dull knife blues!!!, February 25, 2011
John L Stephenson (Pleasant Grove, UT, US) - See all my reviews
This has been one of the best things I have purchased for my kitchen. I have had my set of sharpening stones and oil for many years. I do enjoy at times spending a Saturday sharpening my knifes and dulling my cares away. However there are those times that I need to sharpen a knife in a hurry and this product fits the bill. It will put a great edge on your kitchen knifes in record time and is easy to store away when finished. Get this especially if you do not know how to sharpen and have just purchased a new knife every time one has gone dull. You will not regret purchasing this sharpener!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp knives, at last!, September 27, 2011
After years of looking for a good knife sharpener at an affordable price, we found this one on Amazon. It absolutely does the job, easily and efficiently. It also works on serrated knives, which is a real plus. Chopping and slicing and dicing is much less of a chore when you have a sharp knife to do the job!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a good sharpener, but can overheat, September 7, 2012
C. Winton "cwinton" (Jacksonville, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This is a very easy to use and effective sharpener, but the bad news is that it can overheat and shut down. The good news is that it apparently has thermal overload protection, which means it will come back to life after it has cooled off. I'm docking it a star because none of that is mentioned in the documentation.

Like many other people, I have a drawer full of old knives that have been set aside because they are just too dull. Over the years I've tried various sharpening devices with noticeably poor results. Perhaps I'm just inept. So imagine my delight when I immediately found that with this sharpener I could get edges like a master. I gleefully put it to use on every old knife I could lay my hands on. I was really going great guns when it all came to a halt after about a dozen knives or so by shutting off. I almost packed it up to send back as defective, but decided to wait and see if it simply had overheated and a thermal overload switch had cut out. After about an hour of cooling off, it worked again, so apparently that is the case. Anyway, I am keeping it and will be a bit more circumspect when using it in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, August 14, 2012
Best sharpener ever! I have a rule I try to live by: never do business with friends or family. Well, I broke my own rule. A family friend started a "knife sharpening" business, and asked if I'd have any knives to help him get started. I have a set of Wolfgang Puck chef's knives (yeah, I know they're not great [read:expensive] knives, but they do the job for me...or at least they DID). I let him take them and "sharpen" them, because they were very dull. They came back worse. I was so bummed. I cook once a week, for the whole week, and for that whole day, I use these knives alot. On a fluke, I saw this sharpener. It had 5 stars, but only 10 reviews. How hard can it be to please 10 people, right? Anyway, I thought I'd try it, and if the reviewers had snowed me, I hadn't lost much..could return the machine & still have dull knives.
Man, was I blown away. 2 half-hour sessions with the 4 knife set has restored them to brand-new cutting ability!!! I bought tomatoes at the farmer's market this weekend...home grown tomatoes...you know the kind I mean: super ripe, very juicy, TOUGH skin. These babies diced those tomatoes like a Food Network chef! Let me say one thing right here: YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO USE THIS FOR SANTOKU KNIVES. Yeah, I read that in the paperwork on the thing. I did it anyway. My knives were so bad, I figured, who gives a flip? They're already ruined, and if they screw up the machine, I'm only out the purchase price. So even though I broke the rules they give, I'm so friggin' pleased I'd hug the guys that built this thing if I knew where they were. THANKS so much for giving me back tools that I use every week, and making them work like they were meant to!! Best sharpener ever!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great knife sharpener, July 15, 2012
I was a little timid at first to use an electric sharpener on my expensive Henckels but after I did, I was impressed with the nice edge it put on all of my knives. The price was very reasonable as well and I would highly recommend this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dexter Morgan Would Be Proud To Own One, July 5, 2012
I know nothing about sharpening knives as if the long metal pole and scraping my knives upon it would do anything but sharpen my headache caused by my dull 600 dollar German knives. I cook every day and use these knives everyday and although they were only a year old, they were duller than a rerun of The Apprentice.
I checked out he reviews on here and 7 out of 7 (now 8 out of 8) peeps gave this a 5 star review. It is the simplest tool to use and sharpens the knives to where I think they are as, if not more sharp (is that English?) than when I got them new.

Great product and a fair price, what more could you ask for, a must for any home chef that loves his knives.

5.0 out of 5 stars great sharpener, May 1, 2012
Bought one of these because my somewhat expensive knives were getting dull. It works great. I tried the "paper test" on an old Henckel knife I had. If you hold a sheet of paper in one hand a sharp knife should be able to easily slice it from top to bottom and you should be able to cut curves. My old knife badly mangled the paper before sharpening and afterwords it sliced with ease. This sharpener is also easy to use. I bought another one for our vacation house.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fixed, January 10, 2014
Out of the box, the unit ran slow and would stop with very little pressure on the knife. Took the unit apart and found the shaft that runs from the motor to the grinding wheels, was dragging on the plastic divider/dust guard. Sprayed some silicon spray on contact point and reassembled. Works great. Would caution purchaser to be prepared to make this small repair on some units.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the knife sharpener to get! Love it!, March 3, 2012
Autism Help Today, LLC "RD" (Chicago, IL, United States) - See all my reviews
FINALLY I found a knife sharpener for all my knives that actually works and is very easy to operate. It took a couple seconds and even my serrated knives were super sharp without wearing out the serration! At once I called all my friends who lived close by to get their knives over for sharpening! Even they loved it. I got lots of comments like "The knives became so sharp, I thought I would cut my finger off.". I have been looking for a knife sharpener for a while, tried many, returned many, but this one is a keeper.
1. Works on serrated knives and straight edge knives