Chef's Choice 677 Cordless Electric 1-3/4-Quart Teakettle
|Price:||$47.34 & FREE Shipping. Details|
|You Save:||$17.66 (27%)|
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- 1500-watt cordless teakettle quickly boils up to 1-3/4 quarts of water
- Concealed heating element eliminates build-up of mineral deposits
- Automatic shut-off, boil-dry safety protection, and secure locking lid
- Brushed stainless steel housing; water-level gauge; cord storage
- Measures 9 by 7-1/2 by 10 inches; 1-year limited warranty
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Compare to Similar Items
This item: Chef's Choice 677 Cordless Electric 1-3/4-Quart Teakettle
Chef's Choice 681 Cordless Electric Kettle B0058VCYUU
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Color||stainless and black||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel||stainless-gray|
|Material||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel|
|Dimensions||9 inches x 9.8 inches x 9.6 inches||7.5 inches x 8.5 inches x 6.5 inches||9.2 inches x 8 inches x 6 inches||8.62 inches x 9.62 inches x 8.12 inches|
|Item Weight||3.8 pounds||2 pounds||2 pounds||6 pounds|
Please help us improve this feature. Tell us what you think of this feature.
Top Customer Reviews
Time to get something a bit safer while we still had a house! After some research, we ordered this electric kettle (to the joy of my wife's British friends who think we are barbarians for not having one.)
I was astounded at how fast this thing heats water, maybe 5 minutes for a mostly full pot from tap-cold to full rolling boil.
The automatic shut-off works perfectly (and has a small light so you need not guess if it is off or on) and we no longer need to worry about errant gas fumes and whistling kettles.
The kettle is well-made, attractive and seems to be sturdy and definitely works a treat. Get one and you won't be disappointed. Needs a three-prong outlet, so make sure you can use it first. Sides do get hot but the handle stays properly cool and the safety lid works very nicely with no drops or leaks that I have seen.
Update, March 2012: About two years after the original purchase, the kettle died. We replaced it with the same model and that one has been going strong to this day. There's almost never a day it does not get used and other than cleaning it with vinegar once in a while to get the minerals out, it just keeps on chugging.
My wife even does hard boiled eggs in it using Alton Brown's method.
Good stuff, well made and at a fair price.
Two major gripes:
1. If you look inside there are actually silicone(?) fasteners used that touch the water - consequently any water you boil in this one smells and tastes like metal and plastic/rubber, even after you've brewed it into tea. Completely unacceptable. Baking soda doesn't help much.
2. The stainless steel finish is HOT to the touch. Scalding/burning hot. I can't believe this thing is actually a consumer approved product. There is NO insulation whatsoever, yet this is a counter top product. You might as well just use a pot on the stove. Imagine if your stainless steel toaster burned hot on the outside.
Three minor gripes:
1. The lid is not solid and seems like it would break in a fairly short lifespan of use.
2. You pretty much have to fill it by lifting up the lid. You can't use the spout for this, like you can with a lot of models.
3. This thing is heavy. Heavier than a pot you might use to boil the same amount of water. This adds to the risk of burns.
On the plus side:
1. It looks fine.
2. This does boil your water quickly... so if you like the sound of bubbling water and that's all, then I guess you could buy this.
Unhappy buyer - this one's going back. I wouldn't want this if someone gave it to me, let alone pay for it.
As some other reviewers noted, the metal outside of this kettle gets much too hot. Don't do what I did and count on its insulating qualities when the kettle is too close to a plastic bag left on the counter. And don't touch the thing!
Also, the little button that opens up the lid, it don't work so good, so to speak, and if I want to open the kettle I have to pull the lid open with my fingers. That's not good design, dear Chef's Choice people.
I probably bought the wrong kettle. What I really want, and what I'll look for next time, is a kettle that has a separate heating element, so that the actual kettle is just that, a kettle, with a wide top--so I can heat broth in it for risotto (and then be able to wash it) and boil eggs (this opening is too small). I should have looked around more, or perhaps spent more money. Don't get me wrong, I've been pretty pleased with this kettle: if you want a nice-looking appliance to heat water fast, this is it. If you want more, well, keep on looking.
Update (after three years of almost daily use): the other day, the kettle seemed not to turn itself off properly anymore, as if the switch wouldn't click all the way up anymore. I took off the bottom and jiggled the mechanism a little bit, and now it's working properly again. Still, I'm keeping my eye on it and don't fully trust the auto-off feature anymore.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
A very good tea kettle, although I'm disappointed that the base is plastic. Its predecessor, very similar, lasted us for seven years.Published 3 days ago by Elizabeth T. Maupin
We've had this kettle for about a year and it has worked great and we've enjoyed its functionality. it heats water quickly and turns itself off after reaching a boil. Read morePublished 6 days ago by Amazon Customer
Purchased this item here on Amazon for $50 and it worked ONLY for 3 months under regular use. As mentioned by many other unhappy customers now we have to invest more $$ into this... Read morePublished 12 days ago by Sam
Love it... but 8 months in the automatic shutoff switch is flaky and it no longer works reliably.Published 25 days ago by Jeremy Ridout
Our first kettle was leaking and had to purchase another one. Loves this kettle due to the capacity, quick boiling of water, and easy to keep clean.Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
Meh. I've had better. The metal on the outside of this kettle gets VERY hot, like hot enough to burn you. So beware. Also quite noisy when boiling water. Read morePublished 1 month ago by F. Hernandez
The best investment I've made in our kitchen. Use it EVERY DAY!! Multiple times.Published 2 months ago by Tim
Bought this coffee pot years ago and it worked wonderfully for over 10 years. I just bout a replacement in June and it has already broken by end of December. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Kathy N.