4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little kettle
I did a pretty comprehensive look at the electric kettles, with their reviews, and finally decided on this little kettle.
My major reason was its size, which is just right for my French press when making coffee. It boils very quickly - yes,
Published on February 24, 2012 by Dora

2.0 out of 5 stars Smells terrible when hot
Using it for 2 months now. Size is great, holds just enough water to make a pot of tea. Also heats REALLY fast.
The problem is that the lid, or some part of it, is made from cheap plastic and it gives off a bad chemical odor every time the pot gets hot.
I don't think I would buy another Chef's Choice product.
Published on March 15, 2012 by agardeniaintherain

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little kettle, February 24, 2012
Dora (Maryland, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chef's Choice 673 Cordless Compact Electric Kettle (Kitchen)
it is a trifle noisy at the early part of the cycle but it is not objectionable. And yes, as someone pointed out, it gets
hot. Surprise, surprise -don't put your hand on the metal, since metal gets hot! The only downside is not the kettle, but my wrist and fingers (since they have developed arthritis) and the handle is wide and somewhat hard to grip. I can hardly blame the kettle but a more comfortable handle design would help. Overall, I am very pleased with the purchase.

New comment: Six months have elapsed since I bought this kettle. It has performed flawlessly and I am very pleased with it.

Comment one year after purchase: The kettle is still going strong. I made a good purchase.

OK - it's September 2013. I've used this daily, so that's roughly 600 times since I bought it. No further recommendation necessary as far as I'm concerned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Electric Kettle!, September 6, 2011
The Chef's Choice 673 model holds 1 quart and is smaller than most other electric kettles. It is perfect for a dorm room or for a single person. It heats water fast, shuts off automatically and does not have a hot burner to worry about. It is a well-made, high-quality product with an affordable price, and delivery took less than one week. I'm buying more to give as Christmas gifts!

2.0 out of 5 stars Smells terrible when hot, March 15, 2012
I don't think I would buy another Chef's Choice product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Leaked after a year, February 22, 2012
Below find my original rave review. Unfortunately, I've had to downgrade the rating for this kettle. Why? After only about a year, to my disappointment, the kettle has begun to leak from the bottom. It has only used been twice a day, each time heating up a little over a cup of water. I haven't done anything to abuse it. An electric kitchen product should last longer.
..................................................................
I'd never been interested in electric kettles. Why would I, with microwaves and stovetops to do the job? The Chef's Choice 673 Cordless Compact Electric Kettle came into my life only because I needed something to heat hot water for tea for a class I was teaching where there were no appliances. I mulled over a number of reviews before selecting this product, and even though the price initially set me back on my heels a bit, I'm glad I chose the Chef's Choice.

There is a cord in the base that can be hidden. The interior of the pot, except for a few bits of plastic holding the handle onto the pot, is stainless steel, which I like. It holds about a quart of water, perfect for a couple of mugs of tea or coffee.

I like to make my coffee by hand, one mug at a time, using a ceramic filter holder HIC Porcelain No. 4 Coffee Filter Cone. I'd always boiled my water in the microwave to do this. No longer! The water in this electric kettle boils in an exceptionally fast time, about a minute. There is an easy on-off switch right on the handle, and when the water is heating, a blue light comes on. The appliance turns itself off when the water has come to a good boil. Since the pot lifts right off the base, there are no cords to worry about.

I feel so spoiled with my new electric kettle, and now I can't imagine any other way of heating water for coffee and tea!

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well - until the cap broke off, November 19, 2011
I like this little kettle because of its small form factor and its stainless steel exterior and interior. It boils water quickly and the on/off switch and blue LED light add a nice touch. What I didn't like though is that the hinge for the cover broke off rather quickly. It's plastic and probably broke off due to the heat.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too bad it leaks, August 31, 2012
This is a nice looking, somewhat smaller stainless steel teakettle. The smaller size and construction means it fills a niche that as far as I can tell is otherwise empty.

I should have paid attention to all of the reviewers who said it leaks. I really wanted this to work for me, but as it turns out they were not kidding. On my second use the handle became EXTREMELY hot when I was pouring, then leaked water through the top connection to the pot. A quick look inside the pot showed silicon washers that seem destined to fail sooner or later. If the manufacturer would fix that fatal flaw, they'd have a very good product. I am grateful for easy product return at Amazon, and I will re-initiate my hunt for a small, stainless electric tea kettle.

Update: I found the perfect small kettle. Check out the BonaVita kettle with the pouring spout. Well built, no leaks, and conveniently small.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good so far!, December 11, 2011
Practical, fast, light, and durable (according to friends). I had been looking for a stainless kettle for years (not looking too hard, mostly wishing) and this one has many good points : it has no exposed elements, it has a separate heating base, it is fast, light, and looks good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks like a major design flaw - lid won't stay closed, April 23, 2012
Looks like a major design flaw - lid won't stay closed

I got to see this kettle again, and need to update my review. The box
says that it has "Boil-dry shutoff protection" so maybe it's not a fire
hazard - "maybe", because if their "shutoff" is as good as their lid latch,
the risk of using it could be still too high. Now back to the lid - it's not
only that is opens under pressure, pretty often it pops back open right
after closing - its latch isn't long enough to securely catch on the edge
that is slanted away from it. Nothing is broken or worn out - I've checked
it - that's a design flaw that makes otherwise excellent kettle unusable, as
it defeats it's an all-important feature of automatic shut-off when water
starts boiling. And I think it's rating is still lowest - with this defect it's
no better than a regular kettle you use on a stove.

*** Beware: It's not only inherently defective, but a fire hazard too! ***

I needed a small wireless electric kettle for my elderly mother living alone.
Small ones are almost all plastic - I didn't like this. Most stainless are
bigger, and too heavy to handle for an elderly person. This one looked ideal
- both small and stainless, and quite a nice looking too, sturdy, with controls
conveniently arranged. It worked without a glitch for a month - just enough
time to make a return impossible. But lately when water starts boiling the
lid flips open under a pressure - clearly an inherent design defect. This is
not just a major inconvenience - this is a fire hazard - with lid opened, if
unnoticed, water would all boil out, and then it would continue to get heated
beyond 100C. And it would be a piece of luck, if just a heating element would
burn out without causing flame and igniting things nearby. I had to tell mother
stop using it immediately; maybe I'll still try contact Amazon, as this thing
is defective, and they better should avoid selling it. Unfortunately I can't
rate it lower than 1 star.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tea kettle, November 17, 2011
This is a quality kettle that heats quickly. My problem is my arthritic hands. The handle was too thick and angled wrong for me to lift amd fill it several times a day. I returned the product for this reason.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous, December 23, 2012
Bought this for a older relative as a gift. When I used it after it arrived I found the inside of the handle heats up to 150+ degrees when pouring boiling water. I poured water slowly over a coffee cone filter and was stunned at how hot it got. I tried it the next day just pouring water into a mug and the same overheating occurred. You cannot grip the inside of the handle, especially at the top when pouring. It looks like there are two entry points for the boiling water to get into the hollow plastic handle from inside the kettle. The purpose of this is to display the water level but when the water boils the inside of the handle also gets hot. The design is nice and the kettle does heat water quickly but this item is being returned.

Chef's Choice 673 Cordless Compact Electric Kettle