4.0 out of 5 stars It does what I had hoped for!
Chef'sChoice 464 Pronto Manual 2-Stage Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener

Published on February 27, 2009 by Mr. GW - 1977

3.0 out of 5 stars It works... sometimes
I find it works on lesser steels. My Benchmade model 32 would not sharpen with its D2 tool steel, and neither would my old Buck knife 75th addition. But any pocket knife or anything I have with a softer steel will sharpen up just fine.
Published 13 months ago by Joe R.

4.0 out of 5 stars It does what I had hoped for!, February 27, 2009
This review is from: Chef'sChoice 464 Pronto Manual 2-Stage Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener (Kitchen)
Chef'sChoice 464 Pronto Manual 2-Stage Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener

I've had some good quality German cutlery for over 25 years. However, the 'factory' sharpening steel wore out long ago. I replaced it with a 'diamond' type sharpening rod, however, I just couldn't seem to produce the type of edge I really wanted and needed. Furthermore, after purchasing some new knives that had poorly ground edges, which didn't cut like I knew good quality knives should cut, I decided to reseach various sharpeners on-line to see if I could find a reasonably priced, good quality sharpener to help me get my knives "back into shape". That's when I came across this one. Even though no reviews had been given on this model yet, I purchased it because I liked the fact that the manufacturer specialized in cutlery sharpeners (of many different types) and that this manual sharpener specified it used diamond sharpening wheels that could sharpen serrated knives as well.

The night it arrived at my house I went to work... I resharpened every knife I had in my kithcen (Cleaver; filleting knives; serrated bread knives; 6", 8", 10" cook knives; specialty meat slicing knives; boning knives; and so on...). I began with the dullest of my knives to see just how well the sharpener would work on a knife with a poor edge. Well, it took a few trys and some additional re-reading of the instructions for me to get the feel of the sharpener and to produce the results I desired.

The "bottom line" is... this sharpener will do just what the manufacturer says it will do. Those 28 year old German knives are, once again, in daily use - right along side with my newer knives.

I'm very pleased with my purchase... I also like the compact size of this sharpener which makes it easy for me to take it wherever want, and that it stores conveniently in one of my kitchen drawers (also, I don't need electricity to make it work).

4.0 out of 5 stars knife sharpener, March 19, 2009
I have alway's had problem's sharpening
knife's,and have tried many different
type's of sharpening devises,this does
a better job than the other's,when
i say i have tried a lot of different
one's,i am 82 year's old,so you get
the idea.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, January 27, 2010
I wasn't hopeful when I got this knife sharpener. I'd had a similar-looking sharpener before, and it had done a terrible job. For years I've been sharpening my lives the old-fashioned way, with two different grades of stone and two different grades of steel. Time consuming, but effective. But this sharpener seems to be just as effective and a whole lot quicker. I'd recommend it to anybody. I haven't tried it on serrated knives and am skeptical about what it'll do to one. The serrations pretty much demand a complicated sharpening process that is best done by the factory. But if you keep your straight-bladed knives really sharp, the only serrated knife you'll really need is a bread knife, and they rarely need sharpening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chef's Choice 464, March 1, 2011
Paul Sabella (West Hills, California United States) - See all my reviews
We had a Wusthof that worked well for many years. We also have the Chef's Choice 120 Diamond Hone which works very well. But for everyday use the Chef's Choice 464 manual sharpener is perfect. It keeps the knives sharp longer than the Wusthof use to do. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and easy sharpening, February 2, 2010
One of the fastest and most efficient sharpeners I have ever used. Wish they made an Asian version (15 degrees). But an excellent sharpener for double edged 20 degree Western knives.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sharp Edge, December 13, 2011
I just got this sharpener. It is an excellent deal for the money. It took my very dull Wustof, Henkel and Cuisinart knives and put a tomato cutting edge back on them.
Why get this? If you don't currently have a sharpener and live with dull knives, a sharp knife is actually safer and easier to cut with. It makes chopping and cutting a pleasure again.
If you use a professional knife sharpener service or send your knives out, you are going to save a lot of money and hassle time. If you are afraid that you are going to ruin you knives, don't worry, this sharpener will not do that. I read complaints in these reviews that it scratched up the knife... well I am guessing that the person must have not held the knife vertical, nor parallel to the sharpener direction. Pay attention to the well written instructions and I would expect that you won't run into any problems.
Other nice features are it is compact. It is not electric, meaning no cord and a hassle to store. It is very easy to use. And, I feel it us much better to have a sharpener on hand, so a sharp knife takes a minute, rather then wait for a professional edge.
I liked it so much I just purchased a second as a gift to give to my parents, who own about the dullest collection of 60-plus knives ever, some dating back to the 1950s! I can't wait to tackle their knives with this excellent sharpener.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for home-use kitchen knives, July 25, 2011
We purchased this knife sharpener 6 months ago, and it works well. Following the simple instructions, our basic kitchen knives are sharper than they've been since we first purchased them 15 years ago. We haven't tried it yet for serrated knives but are extremely pleased with how well it works so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chef's Choice 464, January 24, 2011
The product did exactly what the manufacturer's website states. It will produce consistant razor sharp edges in only minutes per blade the first time, and seconds after that. The only negative is that for certain "fat" blades, like sports or hunting knives, the width of the slots will not accomdate the width of the blade, and this can mark up the blade if you push too hard trying to get it to fit in this sharpener.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Little Sharpener, April 21, 2011
My favorite sharpener for many years has been a little old electric model. Since its death I have been looking around while needing a replacement. After reading up on the diamond hone sharpeners I gave this a try. The sharpener seemed a little small & weak but I gave in.
I was stunned as the coarse side easily & quickly worked on the long dulled edges. Then the refining hone was just as fast finishing up.
The only problem is, it does sharpen serrated blades, in the process the points or tips are ground down.

5.0 out of 5 stars diamond hone sharpener, December 22, 2010
This Chef's Choice lives up to the rating of excellent for the best available manual diamond sharpener in the "Cooks" review.
I also bought the other Chef's Choice for asian knives with same results.

Any serious cook must have this as it makes food preparation much easier.

Rate and Discover Movies