5.0 out of 5 stars Great read...wickedly funny...well short of a classic
If you are going to be stranded on an island with only one book, this is not it. If you are in search of literary excellence, you will be disappointed. But, if you are like me, and read books for entertainment, then this book hits the spot like a Grand Slam breakfast at 1:00 in the morning after a hard night on the town.

I would put it a little below David...
Published on December 3, 2010 by California Dancer

3.0 out of 5 stars Least favorite Chelsea Handler book.
Published on April 23, 2010 by Sara S. Rines

3.0 out of 5 stars Least favorite Chelsea Handler book., April 23, 2010
Sara S. Rines (Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida) - See all my reviews
I was very disappointed in the newest book by Chelsea Handler. I read "Are you there Vodka? It's me, Chelsea" and could not stop recommending it to anyone I knew enjoyed a laugh. Funniest book ever. "My Horizontal Life" was pretty funny as well, but this book made me cringe. The first chapter made me nauseated. The rest of the book consisted of emails between the writer and her siblings that weren't even amusing, just plain boring. The few stories that were thrown in had little humor, or point. It seemed she wrote it in a hurry, and didn't bother to check if her stories were up to par. Even the editor seemed lax--I found multiple errors throughout the book. It is a Chelsea Handler book, so that earned two stars right there, and there were a few moments that made me almost chuckle, earning another star. On the whole it was a very lazy attempt to get money out of existing fans. Mission accomplished, by 18 dollars is gone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT buy this book!, November 22, 2010
I love Chelsea's first two books! So funny have read them over and over. One is on audio and listen to it pretty much daily so funny. But this was just bad! Very bad. And I am a Chelsea fanatic! It was obvious to me that she has pretty much given up on trying in these books. This was one of the worst. It was like she was trying to be funny and it just never really connected. A waste of my time and money and I usually love anything Chelsea has to do with and often defend why I love her so much! Unfortunately this book is just a bunch of unrelated crap that honestly made no sense! Still love Chelsea though, but please never buy this book! It could make you hate her!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read...wickedly funny...well short of a classic, December 3, 2010

I would put it a little below David Saderis from an intellectual standpoint, but well above the drunken misfits in Chelsea Goldstein's Hook-Up Chronicles. But, they are all good for a quiet night at the hot tub, or a welcome distraction when sitting around with the parents over the holidays, with nothing to do and nothing more to talk about.

In short, get it, enjoy it, and wait for the next one!

1.0 out of 5 stars It Doesn't Even Qualify as Sophomoric, July 11, 2010
Spring Wilde (California, USA.) - See all my reviews
I never really thought of Chelsea (Handler or Lately) as particularly funny. Humor, (well, smart humor,) is usually rooted in insightful observation, intelligence and tragedy.

The book ("Chelsea Chelsea Bang bang,") is more of what kids talk about and do, when adults are not around. Pranks, silliness, bad English, mocking and calling people names do not make for anything funny, unless of course you are ten years old and in recess. Lack of formal education and typical social vulgarity that had become the norm in many areas of our lives since this guy told us with a straight face that he "Did not have sex with that woman," are prevalent throughout the aptly named "Bang Bang" book.

Chelsea's last book is a testament as to how low our standards for amusement have plunged, when an enormous dose of crude and juvenile humor mixed with some good fortune,(and sleeping with the boss, of course) would be enough to `make' it in Hollywood, and sell books no less!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, January 27, 2011
I had read the other reviews and although most of them were negative in regards to "Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang" I ordered the book. I figured I enjoied the other two books "My Horizontal Life" and "Are You There Vodka, It's Me Chelsea" and figured these people might not relate or enjoy her as much as I do. I recieved it and immediately started reading it. I was more than excited in the begining and found the opening some what amusing, I assumed the beging was just a bulk of silly childhood stories that would set up the rest of the book like in the other ones. I shortly lost interest and found myself forcing myself to read the rest in hopes that it would get beter, it did not. Other than the somewhat funny opening the rest of the book was dull and wasn't very entertaining. None of it had anything funny that was similar to her other books. It lacked the perverse humor and crazy scenarios that made her other novels shine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chelsea's best book!, March 11, 2010
Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang is Chelsea Handler's best book to date. And, if it is indeed her last book, then she's going out with a...bang bang. The best part of the book is that you feel like you are being let in on the joke and can feel good about yourself because she's not making fun of what an idiot YOU are - it's just everyone else, from fat-titted fathers to live-in boyfriends. Fans of Chelsea Lately will particularly like Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang, as it's sort of a behind-the-scenes/candid version of the show with the appearance of familiar characters (Brad Wollack isn't nearly as annoying in print!). It did make me want to lay in bed and eat cheeseburger Lean Pockets while watching Sex & the City... so if you're prone to that sort of lunacy, beware. But damn it if I don't love that hot mess of a woman even more than I already did. Good job, girl.

5.0 out of 5 stars One word: HYSTERICAL!, March 20, 2010
Yes, while it has been said that she can go on and on for an entire chapter about seemingly nothing.... it's absolutely, totally HYSTERICAL! I found myself laughing out loud so many times that it prompted my husband to read several of the chapters. If you watch her show, you can hear her voice in your head, which makes it all more funny. Overall, a great, easy, fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite !!, March 12, 2010
Chelsea is absolutely hilarious! Her boyfriend Ted, her quick wit, spur of the moment pranks & tenderness for large people make this book my favorite of her 3 books. I was laughing consistently, out loud & sharing the stories with my husband because she is so freaking funny =) The relationship between Chelsea & Ted is the best. They are,in some aspects, opposite to the extreme. Somehow that is what makes it work - I truly enjoyed what Ted brought to the book.

Chelsea wants to "help" her driver Sylvan in the love dept., so she decides to take him on vacation. This section of the book - I had to be near a bathroom I was laughing so hard, I thought I might pee. Felt the need to give the heads up =)

There was one section regarding her father that brought me down a little, it just wasn't very funny. I appreciate her sharing it...she was on such a roll, so it caught me a little off guard. She includes a good bit of pictures, without the pics, the book wouldn't have been as funny. It was a nice addition! SO many great stories in this book, definately had to give it 5 stars!! It'll lighten your mood, I highly recommend it....great light read!

1.0 out of 5 stars Kills Brain Cells, April 7, 2010
The first chapter of this book is ugly-not as much graphic as just plain inappropriate, like when you try to tell a joke and it just goes bad. You realize that what you thought was funny, was actually not funny at all. After that opening chapter the book is far more childish and just plain stupid than lascivious as she looks at life and love and daughterhood and dog ownership. Chelsea Handler, whom I had known only from seeing her name on book covers, is clearly desperately immature and willing to do just about anything to gain attention. Her sense of humor, such that it is, is puerile, akin to the kind of nonsense that was so popular on that show Jackass. She likes to mock people through pranks, she likes to laugh about farting, she likes to torment and mock and belittle. It's terribly unsophisticated and, frankly, immediately tiresome. She makes herself so obnoxious that there is very little she could do, I think, to make herself or what she says in any way desirable or lascivious.

Of all the books I've read this year, and I've read plenty, this one is easily the worst. Frankly, I can't think of a single reason I would ever, under any circumstances, recommend it. I can't even understand why anyone, anywhere would buy it. It's not sexual enough to titillate, it's not clever enough to amuse, it's not sophisticated enough to cause reflection. It's an utter waste of time, money, effort and atoms. It is very clearly a cash grab, Handler's attempt to make a few more bucks before her 15 minutes of fame comes screeching to a halt. And I say that this can't happen soon enough.

If you look at the pictures of Handler on the book cover and compare to, say, images of her being interviewed, you'll see that the cover photos are so heavily airbrushed that Handler is very nearly unrecognizable. You can see just the barest hint of her through all the Photoshopping. And it strikes me that this offers a parallel to the book itself. Here Handler gives a very one-dimensional and obviously fake version of herself. It's as fake as her skin in that cover shot. She has constructed a fabricated version of herself that, for one reason or another, seems to appeal to readers. Perhaps her last two books, both of which sold very well, were clever or original or offered something (anything!) to commend them. Not so with Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang. Books don't get a whole lot worse than this one. They just plain can't.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the old Chelsea, but a similarly funny one, March 19, 2010
Chelsea Handler's new book contains all the usual fare: public nakedness, bodily functions, and obsession with the physically less fortunate. The only difference in this third installment of Chelsea's life is her clear ascent to Hollywood stardom and permanent wealth. Most of the time she keeps the pretentiousness to a minimum and makes fun of those who do not.

Like many celebrities, Chelsea sometimes appears to have lost touch with the common man when she refers to her father as not having money despite owning a $700,000 house and a house on Martha's Vineyard. Then there is a tale of her CEO boyfriend embarrassingly landing his helicopter in the midst of someone's wedding ceremony. If only the rest of us had such problems! However, these transgressions comprise only a small part of the book, the rest of which is full of typical Chelseaisms: respecting her dog for refusing to defecate in front of her, detailing intoxicated behavior of herself and close associates, and introducing/reacquainting us with bizarre family members.

Particularly interesting highlights of this book include the introduction of her two brothers, the fake death of a dog and even more embarrassing details of her father's whore-addled bachelorhood. Her CEO boyfriend (and head of the network who owns her tv show) fiqures heavily in none too flattering terms. It's not surprising that their breakup occurred fairly close to the book's release.

Handler fans will love this odd mix of the lewd, witty, and strange. Those who are only familiar with Handler from her E! tv show will be pleasantly surprised by the lack of celebrity references and Chelsea's significant story telling abilities

Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang
Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler (Paperback - September 13, 2011)
$15.99