5.0 out of 5 stars 7th edition 99% just like 8th, except the price!
The Chemistry course I'm taking requires the 8th edition, but my professor told me I could also use the 7th. I saved a ton amount of money purchasing this one, and it 99% the same as the 8th edition (a very small difference in the homework problems, but no big deal.)
Published 14 months ago by Danielle Fortini

1.0 out of 5 stars Get the Older Edition!
For its content, this book is definitely too expensive. The difference between the 6th and 7th edition is that some materials have been moved from one chapter to another. Otherwise, the text is the same and college-level chemistry has certainly not changed from the date that the first edition of this book was published. Don't waste your money, just get the older edition.
Published on September 13, 2009 by LEGO

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Get the Older Edition!, September 13, 2009
LEGO "LEGO" (Marin County, CA) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars What an awful text, July 26, 2011
Brian Knight (Virginia Beach, VA) - See all my reviews
I taught an introductory chem course using this book and I cannot imagine that this book has any real use other than as a paperweight. It was not my choice to use this textbook, and, as such, I felt that I should read the text as I taught the class, since I was not familiar with it. Without dwelling too much on the details, here are some of the problems that I have with this text:

1) The explanations with text are often done poorly.
2) The sample problems worked in the text are not done well.
3) Quite often, terms/concepts/ideas are mentioned or used a page or two before they are properly defined.
4) At the start of the book, several concepts are introduced for a page or two, then we revisit them later, in more detail. This is a waste - I should not have to introduce a topic twice.
5) There is too much 'stuff' which detracts from the material that is essential. Either illustrations/examples or details on the topic at hand. Example: in the chapter that introduces bonding and orbitals, there are a number of figures colored to highlight the change in sign of the atomic orbitals with nodes. Why are they worried about (and discussing) the signs on the orbitals? This is INTRODUCTORY chemistry!

Continuing on the theme that this is INTRODUCTORY chemistry, the authors also include material which, in my mind, does not belong at all:

1) Molecular Orbital (MO) Theory. Valence bond theory & hybridization is difficult enough. In my opinion, MO theory should wait until quantum mechanics has been introduced in p-chem. Not necessarily because of the math, but for the idea that the students should have a good enough understanding of chemical concepts to benefit from learning MO theory.

2) The chapter on carbon (Chapter 10). The authors included a chapter which appears to be a highly compressed course in organic chemistry, complete with a number of reactions. Besides overreaching on the scope of their text, the inclusion of this chapter negatively affects the tempo of the class, as we move from concepts to organic chemistry and then back to concepts.

Get a copy of Zumdahl & Zumdahl. A much better text.

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, low quality, April 23, 2011
Granted, Chemistry is difficult. This book however, fails to make it any easier. On the one hand, the chapters are confusingly written, on the other, the book occasionally spends many pages explaining how to do convoluted halfway calculations that are supposed to make it easier to do the problems. They confused me even more until I figured out they were not necessary.

One other thing really annoyed me. On almost every page of the book, the authors encourage you to buy their online-support package, saying tempting things like "Sign in for a simulation and exercise exploring this topic". I was getting so confused by the book that I bought the package for 150 dollars, on top of the original book price.

The online component is worthless. It is mostly a condensed version of the text from the book with some cheaply constructed video animations mirroring the pictures in the book. I feel pretty ripped off. 19.99 would have been ok, but 150 is way too high.

I can't help but wonder if the book was made confusing on purpose to drive you to buy the additional online piece.

5.0 out of 5 stars 7th edition 99% just like 8th, except the price!, October 6, 2013
This review is from: Chemistry and Chemical Reactivity (Available Titles OWL) (Hardcover)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good text, but missing OWL, February 16, 2009
While the textbook is good in and of itself, it does not come with the OWL subscription I wager all chem courses use. I was disappointed since the copy sold at my school did come with it.

Just something to be aware of if you plan on buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much cheaper than 8th, almost exactly the same, March 22, 2013
big fat heavy book, the spine in the paper back was broken, but whatever it was like 8 bucks. Definitely worth it to buy this instead of spending hundreds on the 8th edition. I cant find a difference! pictures, words, chapters, its good.

5.0 out of 5 stars For what I paid i'm happy, February 6, 2013
For what I paid I'm happy. I did not want to buy the new edition because it is ridiculously expensive. I compared it to my friend's newest edition and the examples and content are the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth sale, November 6, 2011
The condition of the book was just as described, if not better, and it shipped fast.
If the online homework and grading system is not needed, this book actually serves to be a MUCH better value than the Hybrid 8th edition because this book still has the chapter review questions printed after the chapters, where as you would need to sign online to get them with the Hybrid edition. Also, I'm not sure if the question numbers match 100% with the new edition, but I have not found a question where the question number was not the same in each edition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Reference book., February 23, 2014
The information is all in the book. The homework in the back of each chapter help you get the concepts more than anything else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chemistry and Chemical Reactivity, February 18, 2014
The book Chemistry and Chemical Reactivity was as described with no tears few marks and little wear on it at an affordable price

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Chemistry and Chemical Reactivity (Available Titles OWL)
Chemistry and Chemical Reactivity (Available Titles OWL) by John Townsend (Hardcover - February 7, 2008)
Used & New from: $1.37