5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Homeschoolers
Published on May 11, 2012 by Jennifer

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Primer for High School, but Not College Level
I was disappointed. I purchased it for my daughter who is an undergraduate in pre-vet. Since her background is in art, we thought this book might help her make the transition to a science major, but it turned out to be way below the level that she needs. It was kind of interesting, but not very useful.

For a high school student it would probably be very...
Published on October 24, 2012 by Linda R. Hendrex

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Primer for High School, but Not College Level, October 24, 2012
This review is from: Chemistry for Everyone: A Helpful Primer for High School or College Chemistry (Kindle Edition)

For a high school student it would probably be very helpful, and if the ad had not clearly stated that it is a suitable primer for college level chemistry, I would consider it at least a four star item. However, we wouldn't have purchased it if the ad had indicated how basic it is and we found it to be unsatisfactory for her needs.

As it is, I will read it for myself and probably expand my horizons a bit. My daughter certainly will not be benefiting from this book. I wish the ad had been more accurate about the academic level this is aimed at.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Homeschoolers, May 11, 2012
As anyone with homeschoolers in high school will tell you, Chemistry is one of the most difficult and rigorous courses prior to college. Dr. Suzanne Lahl has created a primer for Chemistry that is perfect for homeschoolers, as well as parent-teachers who may need a refresher on the finer points of the periodic table. Rather than peppering the book with practice questions and experiments, Dr. Lahl has focused on the conceptual understanding that forms the foundation for the course. Using "plain English" (rather than scientific gobbledygook), she frequently uses metaphors to explain many of the basic topics in chemistry in a very relatable way.

The book offers a "big picture" view of chemistry - reviewing fundamental concepts and how those concepts fit together. Even students that perform well on tests and love science can struggle when it comes to chemistry. This can be attributed, in part, to the traditional teaching and learning methods used in the classroom. Most Chemistry textbooks are incredibly technical and read more like a text on mathematics - dry and with little real-world applicability. Rather than promoting rote memorization and "plugging in" numbers into equations, Dr. Lahl wants students to gain a deeper understanding by encouraging learning and applying that knowledge. Using metaphors that make sense to high school homeschoolers, she walks each reader through the basic concepts of the Chemistry course and builds on each one to form a larger picture.

Homeschoolers and parent-teachers will appreciate Dr. Lahl's approach in Chemistry for Everyone. Each chapter is succinct and contains informative illustrations that make complex concepts more approachable for young students. While there are content-based review questions available in each chapter, the problem-solving advice and test-taking tips are invaluable guidance for any subject, not just chemistry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, August 25, 2011
Suzanne Lahl explains why people don't like chemistry and then goes on to show you how you can easily understand chemistry using the right approach. This book is only 79 pages long and introduces High School or College students to basic chemistry concepts. The book includes lots of pictures and diagrams to demonstrate what is being explained. At the end of each short chapter there are 5 or 6 review questions. No answer key is provided but you can easily go back to the materials and check your answers.

I read this book and found that some pages were daunting but by reading the passages and paying very close attention I was able to understand it much more easily. Before reading the section on how to use your scientific calculator I did not know how to do anything on my calculator other than basic arithmetic. Now I feel confident in my abilities to calculate difficult problems on my calculator.

Reading this book has made me interested in learning more about chemistry. I would like to read more books by this author to continue learning more about chemistry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, interesting for an old guy., April 18, 2014
In college and medical school I studied lots of chemistry but that was in the late 1940s and early 1950s, and I was curious about current chemistry concepts. This little book's presentation was logical, grouped topics were treated rather briefly and it would be excellent for what it's touted for--an introduction to general chemistry. I felt like a sneaky old guy, but thoroughly enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful tool even as a quick reference for those further along than high school/college, June 26, 2012
Right just as a disclaimer I am a complete chemistry geek, completed an undergrad in organic/pharmaceutical chemistry, completed a post grad in analytical chemistry and now working in environmental chemistry. I was flicking through different books on offer on Amazon a while back and as this was free I decided to pick it up, if it wouldn't suit me, it could suit my mum, (a high school chemistry teacher).
The book is split into a series of manageable chunks, at the start of each there is a flow chart showing how this section is relevant to the over all picture and the end of each chapter has a series of review questions. Instead of bulking up this review with a run through of each chapter I'll add that on as a comment

5.0 out of 5 stars I knew the best way to start is to begin with a precursor, December 6, 2014
I decided to learn chemistry on my own. I knew the best way to start is to begin with a precursor. This book gives you an understanding of what you need to know to successfully learn chemistry. I am actually reading chemistry for dummies now but it is the same things I have read in this book. I also feel confident to get out the notebook and find a good workbook and learn on more esoteric level. I am accustomed to learning on my own and I read this book thoroughly. It was insightful and entertaining. It was truly written so that anyone can learn from this book. After taking a few quizzes, I would suggest a more thorough breakdown of the periodic table but maybe that's what textbooks are for. All in all, this is the first book that gave me the confidence to continue to pursue chemistry.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good advice but thin, July 25, 2014
I was hoping for more content that would help me get through to students who don't love chemistry, who fear and dread the math, are horrified by constants and ratios, and are fearful and skeptical of homework. Some of that material is in this book, but not enough for me to justify the purchase. The advice is good. Use a scientific calculator, learn scientific notation, use the periodic table as a resource, attempt all of your homework. These things are great but not enough to get students going.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to understand, January 6, 2013
I took gen chemistry last semester and didn't make a grade I was comfortable with due to trying to get into vet school. It had been 6yrs since I had high school chemistry. I read this in hopes to gain a firmer understanding before the spring semester. This book clarified many topics especially two I had struggled with. I think this should be used as an optional pre reading for chemistry students. I wish I could share this with everyone who needs a refresher in chemistry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent supplemental study tool, February 13, 2014
I had bought this for myself as a review tool before taking chemistry as a requirement for my nursing program. My 19 year old daughter ended up using it before I did when she ended up with a chem teacher whose heavy accent prevented the students from understanding much of her 'teaching'. She found this book helpful enough to maintain her 4.0. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a successful year!, June 9, 2014
As a chemistry educator working with college and some high school students, this is a great way to start off in the world of CHEMISTRY! I recommend this book to anyone who will be taking a chemistry class, as I recommend my students to read this book as well. Concepts are presented in basic understandable terms, which allow you to get a basic grasp on the subject before the heavy stuff begins to pop up in your actual course. This means when you start doing calculations and problems it is not the fist time you have encountered the material. Real world examples are also done very well. MUST READ FOR STUDENTS AND CHEMISTRY EDUCATORS!