Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: Audio CDChange

on May 15, 2005
Okay, so the title track was a little overplayed in its day, but the rest of this album should have put Warrant on top of the world. These songs are well-written, well-produced, and loud as hell. They even flow together almost seamlessly, as great albums tend to. The sound quality of the original is fine, but I'd suggest going for the remastered release. It has a couple of extra (forgettable, mostly) tracks, but it sounds even better still.

There seems to have been some venom directed at "Cherry Pie", maybe because of the brashness of the video, or maybe because it made hair metal just a little too popular. Don't let that put you off; most bands of the day would dream of making such a creative, listenable record. I wouldn't give just anything five stars, but this one still stands out as a classic of its genre, as good today as it was fifteen years ago. Don't hesitate to pick up this gem. Just skip the first track from time to time; you've probably heard it enough!
0Comment26 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
It's amazing how quickly Warrant went from being platinum selling megastars to the poster boys for everything that was suddenly wrong about the hair metal scene, but that's just what happened in the early 90's. A lot of that backlash had to come from the title track and video to the band's 1990 album Cherry Pie, a big obnoxious innuendo-laden song about...well, I'm sure you can figure it out. That song came to symbolize the hair metal scene's lack of originality and real meaning, paving the way for Nirvana and friends to clean house.

I think it's unfair to write the scene, band, and album off based on one song though. Sure, it's probably my least favorite Warrant song, but the rest of the album is surprisingly strong melodic rock. Check out the monster guitar hooks on Uncle Tom's Cabin or the power ballad perfection of I Saw Red and Blind Faith. Bed of Roses is a great melodic track, and Song and Dance Man, Mr. Rainmaker and the cover of Blackfoot's Train, Train give the album a dose of Southern swagger. Really, aside from the title track and the closing expletive-fest "Ode to Tipper Gore", Cherry Pie is a remarkably strong album, and one that doesn't deserve the reputation it has since picked up.

If you're dead set against the hair metal era, nothing I say will convince you otherwise. Those of us that grew up with bands like Warrant know a fun rock album when we hear it, and Cherry Pie definitely qualifies.

NOTE: The 2004 reissue of Cherry Pie features digitally remastered sound and a pair of bonus demo tracks - Game of War and The Power, the latter of which appeared on the soundtrack to the 1992 boxing movie Gladiator: Music From The Motion Picture (1992 Film). It's a shame they couldn't have added the cover of Queen's We Will Rock You from that same soundtrack. The remastering alone makes it worthwhile to replace your old version, but the bonus tracks are pretty good too.
on October 31, 2004
"Cherry Pie", Warrant's sophomore album, is lots of fun. All of the songs are good, and the best tracks on this album are "Cherry Pie", "I Saw Red", "Bed of Roses", "Love in Stereo", and especially Warrant's "Ode To Tipper Gore"! That was hillarious, someone out there should play it for her. "Cherry Pie" was first released in 1990, but if you bought the version that was re-issued and re-released in 2004, you will get to hear the bonus tracks on this album: "Game of War" and "The Power". "Cherry Pie" is a very good album, and hopefully Warrant will now record a new album with new lead singer Jaime St. James( the lead singer for the 80's group Black 'n Blue, a great singer and a good guy.
0Comment14 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2004
By 1990 Warrant was ready to release their follow up to their 1989 debut Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich.Proving Warrant was no fluke Cherry Pie topped the charts, and performed as well on the charts if not better than their previous effort.With the title track they had a steamy video featuring model Bobbi Brown, who would latter become singer Jani Lane's wife,so that bought them a lot of exposure. Besides the popular title track,other highlights include Uncle Tom's Cabin,the lovely ballad I Saw Red, A Bed of Roses,and a cover of Blackfoot's Train Train, as well as Warrant's tribute to Tipper Gore, simply titled Ode to Tipper Gore(about a minute of profanity from live performances dedicated to the woman responsible for the parental advisory labels). Like Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich, Cherry Pie has been remastered and has new liner notes, as well as two bonus tracks. Also like Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich, Cherry Pie is an essential album for fans of 80's hair metal. You could always buy The Best of Warrant,but most Warrant albums are strong enough to listen to the whole album.
0Comment13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2004
A long time ago in a stadium far away, a band of longhaired beer - swilling journeymen traveled the byways as the lap-boys for the future hall of famers, "Poison." I was in my 20's at the time thinking that it didn't get any better then this. I knew this band would eventually be their own headliner (although I didn't think it would be in the local bar). Back then, a band would release an album and before they could hit the local stage they had would several radio hits under their belts, Warrant was no exception. Riding high from their first album, DRFSR, Warrant exploded, (yes they were huge) back with the release of single #1 from album two: "Cherry Pie." Oh yea, a song about hot women and backing it up, a video with the hottest, Bobbie Brown. Breaking the mold of releasing a hard-song, ballad, mild-song, they went straight to the jugular with "Uncle Tom's Cabin" as release #2, easily one of the greatest hard-rock crossovers to the female audience there ever was. Everyone loved this song, but that was no surprise. "I Saw Red" was a mildly successful third release but still a great song. Sadly, Warrant released their next album amid rumors of in-fighting and drug use, it never achieved the airplay or success of the first two releases...
on March 3, 1999
I personally like this album better than "Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich", even though I really like that album as well. The songs on "Cherry Pie" are a little more sophisticated. The overall effect of the album is a little more polished. Warrant stayed true to their original sound, which I admire very much. If you liked Warrant's first album you'll definitely want to add their second effort to your collection. I think it belongs in every collection really. It's definitely an example of "metal" at it's best; fun, rebellious, a little bit naughty. For the easily offended, purchase the copy that does not include "Ode to Tipper Gore", which is not actually a song but a vignette of profanities clipped from live performances. The guys in Warrant were clearly trying to make a point about censorship, but not everybody appreciated it. Whichever version of the album you choose, the SONGS deliver! As for other albums you may like if you like this band, well, starting in 1998 and moving forward into early this year there has been a phenomenal amount of activity within bands of this genre. I started cross referencing and came up with some great news! I am happy to report that Sebastian Bach (former Skid Row vocalist) has released his first solo album, and to date it is one I personally would rate as a five star album. Lizzy Borden's last release was 1995, Poison's and Quiet Riot's were 1996 so don't count them out yet. As for the rest...prepare to be surprised. The rest of these bands have new or re-released titles between 1998 and early 1999. AC/DC, Accept, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Bang Tango, Baton Rouge, Bon Jovi, Cinderella, Danger Danger, Dangerous Toys, Def Leppard, Dokken, FireHouse, Great White, Guns 'N Roses, Heavens Edge, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Kane Roberts, Kiss, Kix, L.A. Guns, Metallica, Motley Crue, Mr. Big, Ozzy Osbourne, Ratt, Saigon Kick, Scorpions, Slaughter, Sleeze Beez, Steelheart, Twisted Sister, Tyketto, Van Halen, Warrant and Whitesnake. So, to quote Quiet Riot, "Cum on Feel the Noize". (For those who are unfamiliar, that's how they spelled it on the album!) You can start right here with this album, Warrant's "Cherry Pie"
0Comment8 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 26, 2012
If you asked me 6months ago if I liked Warrant, I would have given you a resounding "HECK NO!!!", I normally listen to heavy metal, not hair/pop metal, which isn't true metal, it's more like hard rock with touches of metal in the guitars here and there. Yet, something happened a couple of months back, I was going through a really stressful time, and was at Goodwill, why I don't remember, but I ended up over in the CD section, for whatever reason, and as I looked through the CD's, I happened upon this one. I thought "Warrant... Cherry Pie? No way, I can't buy that..." But I was so stressed, I needed something to help me blow steam off, and music is one of the best ways for me to do that. Admittedly, I was pretty embarrassed to even buy this... But I did, and I was even more embarrassed to listen to it, but I did. No, I didn't like it right away, but my rule of thumb with ANY album is to listen to it about 3-5x's in a row, if I still don't like it, give it a few month break, then come back to it and listen again, if I still don't like it, chances are, I wont like it, but there are even exceptions to that rule. lol

Well, I listened through it about 4 times that day, and by the end of the day it was fast becoming my favorite driving album, yeah, I drove around a lot that day! Why? Because it's loud, obnoxious, and cheesy, everything a driving album should be! It has its quiet moments in "Blind Faith" and "I Saw Red", but the rest of the album is all hard rock, and by the way, I've never once heard Warrant or Jani Lane (RIP), say Warrant is metal, they always said hard rock or rock in their interviews. Regardless, at first, I thought the album was overblown and ridiculous and the only song I liked was "Uncle Tom's Cabin", was never a fan of "Cherry Pie". Uncle Tom's Cabin is easily the best song on the album, the acoustic intro is great, and then comes in a banjo, and then later the full band, it's awesome. :D Jani Lane was a great story-teller, most of his songs tell a story. It was because of "Uncle Tom's Cabin", I gave the album a further listen.

From there, I began to warm up to "Sure Feels Good to Me", an ode to a lustful relationship, the absolutely silly "Love in Stereo", an ode to threesomes, "Bed of Roses", now probably my favorite song on the album, "Blind Faith", a song of devotion to a loving and faithful partner, which I wish I had at my wedding, I would have hands down sang it to my husband, it's a beautiful song, but only if you like sappy power ballads, which I do. :) The rest of the album grew on my as I listened to it more and more, and as I all ready said, it is now my favorite album to blast in to the car, that and Dr. Feelgood, which I discovered after "Cherry Pie".

I have since gone on to be a huge Warrant fan, of the original lineup with Lane that is, and love their first three albums: Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich , "Cherry Pie", and Dog Eat Dog. Have listened to many of their early interviews, as many as I can find on Youtube, and am sad that they could never really stay together for long after Grunge came along and derailed Pop Metal's dominance on the rock and pop charts.

My advice to anyone reading this is, think of the context this album was made it, they were a trashy LA band, so while they aren't the same as Motley Crue, Quiet Riot, et la, they came out of the same scene, and if you like those bands, it's likely you will like "Warrant". If you are a heavy metal fanatic and wont listen to anyone that isn't serious heavy metal, than skip this, you will HATE it. I love traditional heavy metal Dio and Iron Maiden are two of my favorite bands, but I also love fun music that I don't have to think about, and Warrant fits that bill perfectly! If you are open-minded like me, then give it a few spins, its a guilty pleasure and an underrated album, it is a solid album from beginning to finish, and the "Ode to Tipper Gore", well, that's just icing on the cake. :)

God Bless ~Amy
on March 31, 2011
In 1990, Warrant released their sophomore record "Cherry Pie". The album came out only a year after their debut was released, and catapulted Warrant to superstardom. While opinions differ on Warrant, one thing cannot be denied, "Cherry Pie" is simply one of the genres best offerings.

"Cherry Pie" is actually a very solid hard rock record. Every song on the album was a potential hit, and the musicianship, as always was top-notch. The other thing that seperated Warrant from the rest of the pack was Jani Lane's amazing song writing skills. Lane penned some of the genres absolute best songs, who could argue that "Heaven" and "Uncle Tom's Cabin" weren't some of the best rock songs they ever heard? That's what makes "Cherry Pie" worth listening to in my mind, the great songs keep coming, and no filler ever makes it to the record.

Go buy the album if you don't already have it. After a couple spins, if you can't see why fans of the hair metal scene love these guys, maybe you just don't like melodic rock music.
on August 26, 2008
For me, this is perhaps one of the best albums back from the hair metal era. Lots of memories arise each time I play it... A good sound legacy from a specific musical history moment recorded here, no matter how cheesy it may result, now and then.

Some lucky folks with no past on their lives laugh today when they look back at the band and listen to its songs, no matter if they were the best Warrant fans back on the 80s... lucky that none of them seems to have no past and never liked something like this before.

Worth every penny if you're in it for a bit of cheesy hair metal sound from the 80s. If you're ashamed of it, then just turn back and laugh at it.

The true sound of Warrant, with a couple mainstream smashing hits.
Okay, okay, you may think that Glam Rock is a dead genre. I'm here to tell you, it's not. Witness Warrant's 1990 album "Cherry Pie". This album was released when I was only seven years old, and I have just recently discovered glam rock. Warrant has quickly become one of my favorite bands. Their songs are so refreshingly HAPPY compared to the dreariness of alternative music that has taken over radio stations and CD racks within the last five years. I especially enjoy "Cherry Pie", "Bed of Roses", "Blind Faith", "I Saw Red"... basically every song on there! But, I have to say, no Warrant collection is complete without a copy of "Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinkin' Rich". Now, just screw what everyone else says. GLAM ROCK IS BACK!