Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cherry Valley ANT OFF Plastic Bell Ant Guard for Nectar Bird Feeders Model 5572
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on September 28, 2011
works great! i have used this all summer. have not had any ants get in the feeder with the bell, but the feeder i had the green gaurd (kind with pesticides) statred failing after 2 months. i can reuse the bell for years to come. i don't know why they show the bell in white- i have now ordered 5 and everyone of them has been red.
on September 10, 2012
I bought this for my hummingbird feeder ant problem. I was sold by the claim that it doesn't require messy salad oil or water to work. "Great!", I thought. Sadly, it still requires the use of arguably messier petroleum jelly on the inside of the bell. I end up with the jelly all over my hands while i'm trying to unhook/hook the hummingbird feeder to refill it. However, it does seem to keep the ants at bay, and for five bucks, it's not worth returning it. If I could go back in time though, I'd probably have ordered a simpler ant moat that just uses water.
44 comments|15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2012
Works like a charm for keeping ants at bay. The only negative is the S hooks included with the bell. But they are a significant negative. They are too small to hang directly on a shepherd's hook, so you need to hang them from a larger S hook. That coupled with the fact that it can be difficult to hang a feeder from the bottom one makes the hanging process a real challenge. Making matters worse is that they fall off the bell very easily. The first time I tried hanging the bell with my feeder attached, I not only spilled a significant amount of the hummingbird nectar, I also lost the S hook that hangs from the bell's clanger in the foliage beneath my shepherd's hook. To prevent a recurrence, I tried using pliers to tighten the tiny hooks onto the bell, but that doesn't work either because they are so small. I ended up going to the hardware store and buying larger S hooks to replace the bell's inadequate ones.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 19, 2013
These work exactly as they say they do ~
Spread a thin layer of petroleum jelly inside the bell
and hang it between the feeder & the hanger.
These cute little bells keep the ants away ~ period!

If the layer is quite thin as directed ~ keep an eye on the feeder
that you don't see any ants ~ you may need to reapply 1 or 2 times during the season.

I applied the jelly a little thicker ~ approx 1/16" or so ~ then indicated on the box.
In the heat of summer ~ it dripped a couple times on top the feeder. (feeder is in full sun)
But the layer lasted the entire Hummingbird season with-out any ants.

I used to use Perky-pet ant guard which contains pesticides to work & is colored green.
It looses it's potency in one season, and states precautions how to dispose of it.
I like this guard better in every way ~ works perfectly ~ doesn't contain pesticides ~
and is reusable.

I received the red color which is a plus ~
since Hummingbirds are naturally drawn to red.
on July 21, 2012
Excellent to keep ants out of feeders. This really works so much better than the ones you fill with water.
on March 20, 2013
These kind of ant guards are hard to find, and was happy that Amazon had them. All you do is coat it with Bag Balm, which works A LOT better than Vaseline, and hang it with your feeder; it works alot better than the ones you have to fill with water.
VINE VOICEon June 25, 2012
This is an inexpensive yet effective product that keeps ants at bay. The product description depicts this ant guard as being white. The color I received is red which blends in with the red feeder. This is very simple to set up and even includes S-Hooks. This is an item well worth considering.
on October 3, 2014
Have not had one ant on/in my hummingbird feeder since I started using it! Had some awkwardness with the 'S' hook to begin with because it is small, but have gotten used to it. Just be careful not to drop it into the bushes the first couple of times you use it. Loving the Ant Off! I had such a problem with tiny little ants getting into my feeders and NO MORE!!!!
on August 20, 2011
...and sweet. This item does exactly what it claims. I love it!!! These came in red, which was an added bonus.
on July 21, 2014
I am now into my third season using these guards. Summer before last I had a very great ant problem already in existence when I ordered 5 of these guards. THEY DID NO GOOD FOR MY ALREADY ESTABLISHED ANT PROBLEM. Given the enthusiastic reviews others had given, I resolved to write a review headed "DO NOT BUY IF YOU LIVE IN OKLAHOMA BECAUSE OKLAHOMA ANTS ARE TOO SMART." However, last year I started using them at the beginning of the season and had no problem with ants. This year I did the same, but on two of my feeders some very small ants found the feeder. I replaced the bell ant guards with a moat type guard for a couple of weeks and then returned to using the bell guards because, due to evaporation, you have to add additional water to the moat feeders very regularly. That was several weeks ago, and the ants have not returned.
As one of the other reviewers, the hooks are so small that they are a real pain. I had to use some pliers to open them a bit wider for my hangers, and still they are difficult to target while hanging the feeders after refilling. And yes, they are red, not white as shown in the illustration.