5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the series
Published on July 13, 2006 by G. Kovacich

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems on install
I had a very difficult time installing this game, eventually contacting ubisoft tech support and installing the game in the computer safe mode. I enjoy the game very much, but it was a hassle to install.
Published on January 7, 2007 by Puffdog

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the series, July 13, 2006
This review is from: Chessmaster 9000 - PC (Video Game)
I've played Chessmaster since the 3000 version, which was DOS based and actually my favorite before Chessmaster 9000. I've also played the latest Chessmaster 10 but didn't like it. I prefer to play computer chess in 2D, and I didn't see a selection of boards to choose from the way I can in Chessmaster 9000. Also, I consider 9000's interface to be superior to Chessmaster 10, and featurewise you've got everything you need in 9000, including tutorials and a readily accessible openning book library to reference as you play. There's also a database of thousands of games you can easily query if you enjoy studying the games of the great masters. You can also create custom opponents, but you really shouldn't need to because there are dozens of pre-made ones to choose from, from total patzers to the mighty Chessmaster, himself. Also, the game isn't a hog that requires a powerhouse computer to play on. I play it on a Pentium 3, 700MHZ, with 256MB RAM no problem. Last but not least, there's the price. You can't go wrong at 10 bucks for this great game that's the best of it's series.

5.0 out of 5 stars first class, July 1, 2006
it (Sunnyvale, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chessmaster 9000 - PC (Video Game)
The finally got their act together. I originally used version 5500 with good results. Then I tried a version between 5500 and 9000 and it was dismal. They subscribed to the software philosophy of switching features instead of adding features. This version 9000 has all of the features with none left out. They finally got their act together.

There is one problem. On my XP SP2 computer every 50 times I shut down the program the computer hangs up and I have to hold the power button down until the computer shuts down. Then I restart the computer. It is best to run this program when no other programs are running.

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems on install, January 7, 2007
Puffdog (Central New York state) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging and Exciting Chess, February 4, 2006
This review is from: Chessmaster 9000 - PC (Video Game)
Chessmaster 9000 is a nice improvement on Chessmaster 7000, the version I previously owned. The graphics are better, there are a few more nice features. Overall it is an excellent product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in the Series!, June 6, 2007
This review is from: Chessmaster 9000 - PC (Video Game)
Wow! There are so many features, tutorials, help, classes, games etc... The skill levels vary widely so that anyone can use this tool to get better. I am very impressed with how detailed and helpful the tutorials are. There are literally hundreds of hours of play time here!

The only con is that when I first installed the game there were several bugs, including one that only let me play the Chessmaster no matter who I wanted to play. As soon as you get the game installed, be sure to update to the newest patch.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price, AMAZING!, March 22, 2007
This review is from: Chessmaster 9000 - PC (Video Game)
Chessmaster 9000 is no longer the "latest and greatest" version of CM. Therefore, the price is reduced to an amazing value (currently $10). The mentoring tools are excellent (quick hints, blunder alerts, analysis of games to point out where you made a mistake or missed a mate). The lessons by Josh Waitzkin are very interesting and the audio is excellent. I like the daily problem before you log-in. The ability to save games is really nice. The various "virtual players" is great to change the competition level to your mood (dominate, equal matched, or be dominated). There is also good and accurate descriptions of their styles (e.g., "exchanges queens").

A few downsides. The "True 3D" constantly crashes my fairly new high-end PC. So I've learned not to use it. There are plenty of attractive 2-D versions that are enjoyable to play.

The database of 800 games is good. A little hard to manuver. The viewable screen is a little too small. I would have likes more notes and commentary from a GM on the games.

After buying this a few months ago I play an average of a game or two a day. If my game continues to improve in the next year or so, I might consider purchasing Fritz, but for now, I'm very thrilled. I have yet to be bored of it. If you are a casual player, and don't want to waste a lot of money, this is an EXCELLENT product to have fun and to improve your game.

5.0 out of 5 stars You CAN teach an old dog new tricks, June 26, 2007
auntnancy (CHERRY HILL, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chessmaster 9000 - PC (Video Game)
I am a total novice at chess at the age of 60. I am having so much fun learning this game that had always intimidated me. To top it off I even win on occasion.
Chessmaster 9000 helps build your skill levels and provides a variety of opponents - all in an attractive interface. Because Chessmaster 10 is now out the prices on this version are so reasonable it would be foolish to pass it up

3.0 out of 5 stars Installing it is a problem. Better backup your computer before installing it, April 29, 2007
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Chessmaster 9000 - PC (Video Game)
The product is ok, getting the proper installation done is a challenge. It messed up my laptop configuration during installtion itself. Every friend of mine have had issues during installation.

There is hardly any support available from UBI Soft

5.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase, March 26, 2007
This review is from: Chessmaster 9000 - PC (Video Game)
I am happy with this purchase. I am an amatuer player. I was looking for a replacement for the playstation game I was using. This one made sense for the price; it actually exceded my expectations. It taught me basic principals of the game that I was ignorant of. A couple of the features I like are 1) the "historical games" feature which plays out games from hundreds of years ago to modern matches and 2) the "tutor mode" which recommends moves during a game.

Good for amatuers and to pass time. I probably will never be able to speak for advanced players.

4.0 out of 5 stars Convenience, March 19, 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Chessmaster 9000 - PC (Video Game)
I have two computers a lap top and a desk top. I used the software for a while then I was told I have to have the disk in to continue to use disk number one. This is very inconvenient. If I had known this I would not have bought the product. Also sometimes it is difficult to make a move.

Jim Headrick

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Chessmaster 9000 - PC
Chessmaster 9000 - PC by Ubisoft (Windows XP)
Used & New from: $18.00