5.0 out of 5 stars This Is Getting Serious, January 16, 2013
This review is from: Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes (Paperback)
I've been a huge fan of Chew since I ran across it in the public library soon after the first volume's release. An intelligent, action-packed, wickedly funny epic, Chew is the story of Tony Chu, a cop who can basically see the past of anything he eats - and I do mean anything. By this sixth volume, Space Cakes, the cast of Chew has grown and evolved to the point that its main character, Tony, is actually comatose for most of the story while everyone else carries on, and that makes it no less enjoyable whatsoever. In fact, Layman and Guillory have inserted a spark of life into each and every character, no matter how ridiculous, and made them leap off the page to the point that the reader is cheering for every flawed hero and booing every nefarious villain. For example, Poyo, the blood-lustful cybernetic rooster, has a few solo adventures of his own in this work, even taking on the ultimate evil, and if that sounds crazy to you, it is. But, that craziness is what makes Chew so much fun to read. You never know what's going to happen, and you know that there is no limit to what can occur.

The other part of the book features Toni Chew, Tony's sister. Toni is a NASA agent and has slowly been introduced during the duration of the series, and now that she takes center stage, we learn that she has a taste-related power of her own. Much like Morpheus's sister Death, Toni steals the show and her perky personality quickly wins over our hearts.

While Chew has always had its violent moments, they were always done with a touch of humor and silliness. Don't get me wrong, I'm not belittling it - this is an expertly written series. In fact, I'm consistently amazed by how Layman connects and interweaves seemingly unrelated plots. But, in this volume, things get very serious, and for the first time, I realized just how much these characters have come to mean to me. I won't spoil anything for you, but the book ends on a note that completely caught me off guard and left me reeling.

Absolutely imaginative with tight, intricate plots, Chew is a must read. And while I hope it doesn't become too serious, the last moment of tragedy is well-placed by Layman and a huge plot point to progress the series. Is this book hilarious, insane, and always surprising? Yes. And it's also one of the best books going. Chew is required reading, and Space Cakes only reinforces this fact.

~Scott William Foley, author of Andropia

5.0 out of 5 stars So delicious!, January 4, 2013
This review is from: Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes (Paperback)
After his near fatal beating in Volume 5, Tony Chu, cibopath (pronounced "see-bo-path") is laid up in a hospital bed for the entirety of Volume 6 so John Layman puts his twin sister, Toni, in the spotlight. Toni is a cibovoyant (pronounced "see-bo-voyant" - I know, there's a lotta odd words in this series) meaning she can take a bite of something living and see their futures.

So we follow Toni as she helps her brother get revenge on his nemesis, a rival restauranteur; what happens when you mix frogs and chickens - "chogs" - who then breed with psychedlic frogs; the strange case of Judy Heinz-Campbell; and what the vampire collector has been up to...

Toni's much more outgoing and her adventures, while similar to Tony's, tend to be more successful as she's more capable than her cannibalistic brother. I love Tony but Toni's her own character which is gravy. Layman does a great job of giving her a rich backstory with numerous funny flashbacks so that by the end of the book, the effect is more gut-wrenching. But I don't want to spoil it for you.

This book is hilarious! "Chew" has always been a comedic series but "Space Cakes" is the funniest this series has been in a while. Remember that character from earlier, Poyo the Fighting Cock? Well all I can say is that Layman must've grown up watching "The Six Million Dollar Man" and thought, man I wish Steve Austin was a chicken, because Poyo basically becomes the Bionic Man, er, chicken! Poyo gets his own one-shot issue, "Secret Agent Poyo", and it's so funny, from the cover where he's wearing a tux, Bond-style, to the numerous add-ons and gadgets he's been grafted with. There's even a sequence in Hell where Poyo beats up the Devil! "Space Cakes" takes Poyo as a side character and turns him into one of the main attractions of this series. By the end of the book, you'll love this crazy bird like I do.

I know I say this about every "Chew" book but damn Rob Guillory can draw! His style is unique and brilliant, drawing the characters cleanly and detailed with a perfect balance of colour and an uncanny command of facial expression. If you look closely at the panels, you'll see all kinds of "easter eggs", like the sequence in Hell where there are photos of the usual suspects, Hitler, Bin Laden, etc., and then, prominently placed, there's a picture of Michael Bay!

And John Layman - what else is there to say about this guy? He's doing everything right, hitting all the right buttons, building upon and expanding this strange and brilliant world into something even more extraordinary than it already is. His characterisations and plotlines are spot on, I don't think he can write a bad issue for this series, he just knows exactly what he's doing.

If you're not reading "Chew", you need to start NOW! For the already-converted, Volume 6 doesn't disappoint, until the end when you reach the final page and realise you've got to wait several more months until the next book. "Space Cakes" is fantastic, "Chew" is amazing, well done guys, keep them coming - the world needs more Poyo!

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE CHEW., October 2, 2013
I love:
the stories, the art, the characters, the design, the plot, and everything about Chew. If you do too, and need this issue, BUY IT.
it is really great to see such a fresh idea executed so well. from conception to final product Chew is a great series.

Don't know about Chew? Go ahead and order it, and make sure you get the previous 5 volumes.
You will love it. I Promise.

Go, DO IT !

5.0 out of 5 stars Chew keeps getting better and better., August 29, 2013
This review is from: Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes (Paperback)
I don't think I've read any collection of the comics that has yet disappointed me. This is truly one of the best story arcs out there and just another reason why Image Comics is probably the best company on the market.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chew, July 24, 2013
This review is from: Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes (Paperback)
I saw this edition was a big segway to the next volume. It was good and I'm glad I read it. The ending is a doosy.

5.0 out of 5 stars SHUT UP AND GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY, May 14, 2013
This review is from: Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes (Paperback)
buy all things chew right now, hilarious hilarious hilarious comic book seriouslyyyy!!! soo goodd!!!! Why are you still reading this, go buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Space Cakes!, April 8, 2013
This review is from: Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes (Paperback)
The Chew saga continues in this episodic entry. We continue on as our Byronic hero is kept hospitalized after the last book came to close. Tony, left to the world of medicine and a bunny filled trip, is sidelined as his sister and NASA agent Toni Chew takes center stage. The wild adventures continue as the characters realize just how inner connected their lives truly are. This is yet another winning entry in this Eisner award winning series. The comedy keeps piling on as the familiar cast of Chew gets weirder and weirder. A must buy to read again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nom Nom Nom, March 23, 2013
This review is from: Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes (Paperback)
These guys have really created a great series with Chew. I've loved following this story, watching it branch out into seemingly endless mini-stories and bringing in or mercilessly killing off characters. There's cartoonish but gory violence, there's running gags, there's intrigue and deception and jetsetting, and all within the story framework of food and super powers. Pretty good stuff. I'd make a gastronomical pun here if I had any good material. Stick to the professionals and read this series if you enjoy comics and are an adult.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, February 5, 2013
This review is from: Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes (Paperback)
I love this series, and his attention to small details makes rereading them a pleasure. It seems like almost every cell has something in the background that makes me laugh

5.0 out of 5 stars It just keeps getting better!, January 27, 2013
This review is from: Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes (Paperback)
I've been reading this since the start of the series, and I remain hooked! Every volume is just as good as the last and the plot really thickened with volume 6. The story is excellent and I highly recommend the series.

Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes
Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes by John Layman (Paperback - January 1, 2013)
$14.99 $11.95