4.0 out of 5 stars Untitled
Published on December 1, 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for casual workplaces
I work in IT, where a suit would make me very over-dressed. I'm always trying to figure out what the female equivalent of the male uniform is (button-down shirt, slacks, and dress shoes). This book was more helpful than "Dress for Success" (pictures and modern examples), but not as good as "Casual Power".
Published on January 13, 2008 by Anitra Smith

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Untitled, December 1, 2002
By A Customer
I really love the Chic Simple books ... I find the photographs, text and lay out to be really inspirational and compelling on a daily basis i.e. we all have to get dressed each day, and these books (especially "What Should I Wear?" - my real favourite) have made it more fun for me to wear, and buy, my clothes and accessories. There is one matter about this new book which has disappointed me in only a small way, and that is that the authors have chosen to use certain photos and text from older books in this, their new book. I dislike paying for the same content twice. I also had very high hopes for this new book, the first new 'big' fashion/wardbrobe-planning book by these authors for some years now, and was a bit cheesed off to find the same images/text, apparently recycled. It's just a small thing, but it seems to me to be a little lazy on their part. That said, I'm still a fan of the book, and wish I'd had it years ago when I started my first job (I wear suits for work & this book really focuses on that look and how to 'polish' it or expand upon it). This would be a great book for a recent graduate, or for the library of a corporate employer looking for a simple yet thorough and elegant style guide for their staff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, October 20, 2002
"generalbarnes" (Aurora, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This book does an excellent job of getting you from nothing to wear to a closet of every possible wardrobe nessessity for the office. The organization is fantastic, going from one interview outfit and then starting a collection of business appropriate clothing based on four suits. Great book for someone getting a promotion, returning to work after a leave of absense, or a new college graduate.

5.0 out of 5 stars The PERFECT gift for the new graduate!, January 2, 2005
J. Kara Russell "Actress/Artist/Musician/Writer" (Hollywood - the cinderblock Industrial cubicle) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
For many years, I have had "Women's Wardrobe" by this writing team, and have referred to it whenever I was revisiting my closet space issues. As a character actress of many years, writer, and day-jobber, my closet tends to clothe many "people". These books really help you pare down your fashion thoughts to the essentials.

Some will find the pictured examples and the thoughts on appropriate work wear extremely conventional... but most work places ARE very conservative, especially when it comes to interviews, business meetings and public appearances. I think the only thing lacking in this book is an entire section about injecting yourself, your personality into this framework. They do mention this, but there could be more. However, to be fair, this is not their intent. This is SIMPLE, how to do it with less clothing, simple rules, few pieces to make things work well - and they succeed completely.

As an observer of people, I kept thinking how especially useful this book would be for several young friends who were leaving college and struggling with the mental dissonance of "what I wear should not matter, it is who I am and how I do my job" as contrasted with the tyranny of workplace dress codes. As a feminist idealist, it shouldn't matter what we wear. As a pragmatist, we all know that how you dress does matter, as much as looks, speach, cleanliness, and what school you attended. As an actress, it is a large part of creating a character: what you wear says things about who you are, how you think, how you live, and what you aspire to.

This book adresses all of that, and gives a marvelous basic guideline to build your thoughts of self-presentation AT WORK around. If you are re-entering the workforce after many years, changing careers, or changing areas of the country, there are hints here. There are kernals of truth here that artists and dot-com slackers won't like to hear much, but if they're smart, they will. Karl & Patty, thank you for the present!

5.0 out of 5 stars this is molloy's dress for success ILLUSTRATED, February 1, 2006
This book is Molloy's Dress for Success illustrated. And my one complaint with Molloy is that there were no photo illustrations.

The items featured in this book are completely real, and are geared towards professional working women, not ladies who lunch, downwardly mobile women, clerical women, or "girls."

This book fills a nice gap between Molloy and Kendall Farr, who in the Pocket Stylist tells you how to buy clothes that fit, but does not seem to care about looking "smart" and educated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for work wardrobe, October 2, 2002
This book is broken down into three sections: the interview, succeeding in the job, and getting a better job. It fits anyone that works and give excellent advice. Of course, the pictures are a wonderful asset. This would make a great gift for any career woman.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book For Those On The Fast Track to The Boardroom, August 25, 2004
I purchased this book and returned it. Then after getting an interview appointment, and being out of the workforce for nearly 3 years decided maybe I did need to reference it to see what I needed if I decided to return to the office environment. So I purchased it again a week later. It's a great book for those on the fast track to CEO, Partner, Associate, etc. According to this book I only need four suits, black, navy, beige, and gray. Very John Malloy (who is mentioned in the first chapter) approach to office/corporate dress. NO colors allowed. Everything is black, white, navy, beige, well you get the picture. Oh, they do recommend burgundy shoes, and bag. And maybe a blue Hermes scarf! Just a little too stodgy for my taste, although, I will follow a lot of their recommendations. I need to build a new work wardrobe and this is a great book for putting together a basic work wardrobe in a short time with minimal effort. Job Well Done!

5.0 out of 5 stars a must for any working woman, March 1, 2004
"redacorn" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
This book is a must-have for women who are in the workforce. I have used this book as a resource for how to dress and how to plan my wardrobe effectively. I also lend this book to the younger women in my company who often feel that they don't have the capital to wear a top-notch wardrobe.
The book is very up-to-date and gives very simple instructions on how to plan your wardrobe based on your office environment (corporate to casual) as well as by your stage in your career. Unlike many other books, Dress Smart does not insist that you have an ever-increasing wardrobe, but insists on smart choices that offer versatility as well as flexibility, while being polished and smart. The casual guidelines are great, as are the quotes from various industry leaders. The back gives you information on all the clothes highlighted, so you can go to those retailers (or ebay) as needed. Of particular interest is the importance placed on good tailoring. Many people do not understand the need to tailor your clothes, and that is the detail that can make an inexpensive suit go over the top.
If you work where anyone will ever see you, then I recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have enjoyed and employed this book since the eighties, November 20, 2006
This book is spot-on accurate. I grew up in an exclusive area full of well-to-do people and long-time "well-bred" families. The information in here may seem outdated at times but it is still the right info if you want to make it big-time. There are people and companies that still follow these styles. If you just want to do-alright or be happy in an average job, this book will make you shine above the rest and will give you the extra push needed during an interview. If you are applying to an ivy league college, this book will help you fit in. If you have some common sense and can adapt the information in this book to your current job needs, then use this book as a guideline. Remember, don't outshine your superior! If they dress like a slob or like they shop at ross or macy's, your brooks brothers suits might intimidate them. Many jobs may require you to be less formal, but the information here reminds you that you are an employee, not a prostitute, college kid or someone who has no idea how to dress. Your job as employee is to inform your employer that you are capable and NOT to tell them what music you like, what style you wore in high school and cerainly not to tell them that you are a hottie, even if you are.

Oh, and navy is not always the right colour. Dark grey should be the first choice, navy is the second choice.

Have fun being the best you can and looking it, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars good tips, October 3, 2005
i bought this book a while ago and refer to it every now and then. there are good tips and crisp pictures. it tells you how to build a good business wardrobe. i recommend it for anyone looking to get ideas and revamp their look. shoes and accessories are mentioned also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the book, October 20, 2002
By A Customer
Although I do not work in a field that requires suits---I couldn't pass this book up. There may be a time I need to know how to dress for a business lunch, etc. The point is this book is a must have for all woman entering the work arena again or for young woman just getting out of college. The pictures are wonderful and the advice is perfect as in the other Chic books. I love this book..........

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›