4.0 out of 5 stars Great Dollar per Knife Ratio (DpKR)
I will start by saying that I purchased these for $99 which at $5.5 represents a great value-per-knife ratio

Here is a ranked order of things I look for in a Knife Set:

Published 22 months ago by philyodaddy

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor Quality
Published 7 months ago by Chad Gallegos

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Dollar per Knife Ratio (DpKR), January 18, 2013
This review is from: Chicago Cutlery 1090390 Fusion 18-Piece Knife Block Set, Stainless Steel with Honey Maple Wood Block (Kitchen)

Here is a ranked order of things I look for in a Knife Set:
1) Sharp as hell
2) Sharp as hell
3) Sharp as hell
4) looks pretty

That is the entire list. I am not nearly proficient enough in the kitchen to have other requirements. The knives are sharp as hell. They cut the crap out of stuff. I enjoy showing off their sharpness to amazed visitors (more realistically, I just show my girlfriend over and over again). Look how easy it is to cut through lemons! You try! Case closed. They are also a pretty good looking knife set. I'm not sure I needed 18 knives, because I only know what about 8 of them do, but it is impressive looking and really makes people know that I'm the boss.

I purchased them about 1 month ago, so I cannot objectively weigh in on the rust-issue (I have none at this point). Therefore my only real con at this point is that this point is that the block is really big and awkwardly fits in my small New York City kitchen. Please note the massive size before you follow me to sharpcity.

Update: 4/27/14 - THERE IS NO RUST. Believe it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the price, October 26, 2012
As a certified chef, I have a very pricey set of knives I use for work, but I wanted a good looking well made set for my kitchen at home. These knives have a nice weight, excellent hardness (keeps sharp under heavy use), and they offer a good grip even with wet hands. The bamboo block adds a very nice decorative touch. The knives will require frequent sharpening IF you use them a lot, but for daily use in a home kitchen they will hold an edge for a long time.
The package claims "Dishwasher safe". I don't recommend putting them in a dishwasher. It will dull them and water will probably get in between the metal and the rubber of the handles. Wash them by hand with hot soapy water and they will last forever.
Be very careful, the factory edge on these knives will shave your arm, in other words THEY ARE EXTREMELY SHARP!
For the serious amateur home chef/cook these are a great buy. They will stand up to daily use and keep a good sharp edge, as will just about any Chicago Cutlery knives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Near-complete for kitchen but definitely not a 'pro' set, January 15, 2011
Can't really go wrong with this (made in China) set. For the price, that is.

These are heavy, well balanced, forged knives, blades made of rust-resistant, reasonably good quality high-carbon stainless steel. On the box it says that they are 'fusion forged' but I have no idea what that means. The specialized knives come with a black polymer, 'non slip' soft grip. The stake knives have stainless steel handles.

The Santoku and Partoku knives come with oval indents that are meant to allow food to release from the blade. All knives feature forged bolsters for better balance and to keep fingers from running up on the blade.

You get the following knives:

- 7.75" chef knife
- 7" Santoku (slice, dice, chop and mince)
- 8" Slicer
- 3.5" Parer
- 3" Peeler
- 7.75" Bread
- 5" Partoku (smaller than the Santoku, combines the convenience of a paring knife with the versatility of the Santoku)
- 5" Utility
- 4.25" Steak (8 of these)

And, of course, there is the sharpening tool.

While clearly not 'high end', and no one should expect 'chef' knives at this price, they appear to be durable. The block is solid, heavy wood and there is also a sharpener. And this set comes with some of the sharpest steak knives I've seen. The only issue I have but it's no big deal, really, is that the handles tend to be a little small.

________________________________________________

Note:

Be aware that this set does not necessarily come with Omaha Stakes coupons. Mine didn't and I didn't expect one. I mention this because at least one review mentions an $80 coupon.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can stop looking!, April 25, 2014
I researched and researched and finally decided on this set. I enjoy cooking and trying new recipes, but without the proper tools, such as an excellent set of knives? It can be a beating. I am kicking myself for waiting so long to make the 'splurge'!

I had to pick the package up when it was delivered at my apartment office, and stunned by how heavy it was; it is quite a substantial item! The actual box it came in is very helpful, as not only does it describe in detail the different knives and their uses? The lid flaps indicate which knife goes in which slot in the block. It's not as obvious as you'd think! Guess how I know? LOL

Helpful hint: I was watching this item for a few weeks hoping for a price drop. I checked it just last week, and was thrilled to see it dropped by $20 from $117 to $97. I snatched it up quickly, and good thing I did, because the price has gone back to $117. I think this is a great price as is (based on my research), but if you are not in a hurry, you may want to keep a watch for it to drop again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great knives, great value, January 13, 2011
I have had this set of knives for over a year now and still love them. I use them several times each week for making meals and they have stayed quite sharp. It only takes a few seconds and a few swipes along the sharpening blade every time I pull a knife out of the block, and I can cut through a potato as easily as I can cut through butter. I too use the santoku knife more than the others as it is a great size and feels very well-balanced for slicing and chopping. Having previously used cheaper knives, I wanted to see if it really was worth the money to buy a set like this. I can say without a doubt that this has been an excellent investment and I highly reccommend this set of knives.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor Quality, April 7, 2014
I am someone that researches before I buy. That being said, I did my homework through the reviews and thought these would be a good choice. I did see that there were several reviews stating that these knives rust easily. But overall the reviews for this knife set were very good, so I decided to give them a chance. I have owned the set for a month now. I only hand wash these knives, and still I get rust on the blade of them. You have to immediately dry the knives or they leave a very ugly cloudy film on them as well. Overall I do not mind hand washing these, nor do I mind having to towel dry them immediately after washing, but still THEY RUST! As if that isn't bad enough, my wife accidently dropped one of the steak knives out of her hand and into the kitchen sink (not the floor or onto anything hard, just back into the sink), upon which the steak knife snapped in half.....SNAPPED IN HALF! You have got to be kidding me how poor the quality issues are for these knives. I had owned a cheap $60 set for 6 years before I decided I wanted to buy these. Hands down the cheap set was better. Now I have to take the time to contact the company and see what if anything they will do to replace the broken knife.

1.0 out of 5 stars DISGUSTING!!!! Received broken knife with dried food on it !!!!, November 26, 2013
The knife set itself looked nice. Unfortunately I only gave it a one star because I wasn't able to use it. When unpacking the knives, I noticed a blade was completely broken off. After examining it more, it was dirty WITH DRIED FOOD ALL OVER IT!!!! I was completely disgusted! I can't believe that this was obviously returned as a default that broke on someone using this and it was then shipped to me! One of the blades of the larger knives was jagged and it had rust spots on another knife! I was really disappointed all around. I thought for sure this would of been the knife set for me after reviewing all knives. =(

1.0 out of 5 stars I bought this knife set in March 2014. I ..., August 26, 2014
I bought this knife set in March 2014. I was very please with this product, even after reading the negative reviews. I have noticed a small amount of rusting on the knives, nothing serious. Today while I was slicing a piece of cheese a knife broke in my hand. The blade completely broke in half. I wish I could post the picture. Not only was this dangerous, now my knife set is incomplete. I cannot figure our who to call to replace this knife.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some blades arrived with notches, September 3, 2011
The majority of the blades arrived in great condition. The Chef's knife, the 5" Santoku, and the paring knife all had notches in the blades and required me to sharpen with a whetstone before use. The knives feel good in my hands, and slide right through a full sized watermelon, hard veggies, or a steak with ease. Someone else likely would have returned the knives because of the notches, but I did not because I was able to get them out and get the blade into better condition than the manufacturer. The metal plate over the knife block should be of concern... if you are trying to put away a knife and accidentally stick it into the metal you could damage the knife. I do not feel as though these knives will last long, but for now as long as I maintain the cutting edge they should serve their purpose.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fall from counter breaks steak knives, June 30, 2014
I was given this knife set for Christmas 2013 and up until a week ago, June 2014, they've been great, sharp as can be, dishwasher safe, great. But, one fall from the kitchen counter and a steak knife shatters. We've all dropped spoons, forks and knifes on the floor so when a steak knife was knocked on the floor I thought nothing off it until I went to pick it up and found it in 3 pieces.

If you ask me this implies the knife is defective or the entire design for these steak knives is defective. I contacted customer support and this is there reply:

"We are sorry to learn of the condition of the referenced knife. Please be advised that the warranty on our Chicago Cutlery products does not cover accidental damage or breakage that occurs from the product being dropped. Unfortunately we are unable to replace the broken knife for you under warranty. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Buyer beware.