4.0 out of 5 stars Great Dollar per Knife Ratio (DpKR)
I will start by saying that I purchased these for $99 which at $5.5 represents a great value-per-knife ratio

Here is a ranked order of things I look for in a Knife Set:

Published 15 months ago by philyodaddy

3.0 out of 5 stars Some blades arrived with notches
Published on September 3, 2011 by citizen083

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Dollar per Knife Ratio (DpKR), January 18, 2013
This review is from: Chicago Cutlery 1090390 Fusion 18-Piece Knife Block Set, Stainless Steel with Honey Maple Wood Block (Kitchen)

Here is a ranked order of things I look for in a Knife Set:
1) Sharp as hell
2) Sharp as hell
3) Sharp as hell
4) looks pretty

That is the entire list. I am not nearly proficient enough in the kitchen to have other requirements. The knives are sharp as hell. They cut the crap out of stuff. I enjoy showing off their sharpness to amazed visitors (more realistically, I just show my girlfriend over and over again). Look how easy it is to cut through lemons! You try! Case closed. They are also a pretty good looking knife set. I'm not sure I needed 18 knives, because I only know what about 8 of them do, but it is impressive looking and really makes people know that I'm the boss.

I purchased them about 1 month ago, so I cannot objectively weigh in on the rust-issue (I have none at this point). Therefore my only real con at this point is that this point is that the block is really big and awkwardly fits in my small New York City kitchen. Please note the massive size before you follow me to sharpcity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Near-complete for kitchen but definitely not a 'pro' set, January 15, 2011
Can't really go wrong with this (made in China) set. For the price, that is.

These are heavy, well balanced, forged knives, blades made of rust-resistant, reasonably good quality high-carbon stainless steel. On the box it says that they are 'fusion forged' but I have no idea what that means. The specialized knives come with a black polymer, 'non slip' soft grip. The stake knives have stainless steel handles.

The Santoku and Partoku knives come with oval indents that are meant to allow food to release from the blade. All knives feature forged bolsters for better balance and to keep fingers from running up on the blade.

You get the following knives:

- 7.75" chef knife
- 7" Santoku (slice, dice, chop and mince)
- 8" Slicer
- 3.5" Parer
- 3" Peeler
- 7.75" Bread
- 5" Partoku (smaller than the Santoku, combines the convenience of a paring knife with the versatility of the Santoku)
- 5" Utility
- 4.25" Steak (8 of these)

And, of course, there is the sharpening tool.

While clearly not 'high end', and no one should expect 'chef' knives at this price, they appear to be durable. The block is solid, heavy wood and there is also a sharpener. And this set comes with some of the sharpest steak knives I've seen. The only issue I have but it's no big deal, really, is that the handles tend to be a little small.

________________________________________________

Note:

Be aware that this set does not necessarily come with Omaha Stakes coupons. Mine didn't and I didn't expect one. I mention this because at least one review mentions an $80 coupon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some blades arrived with notches, September 3, 2011
The majority of the blades arrived in great condition. The Chef's knife, the 5" Santoku, and the paring knife all had notches in the blades and required me to sharpen with a whetstone before use. The knives feel good in my hands, and slide right through a full sized watermelon, hard veggies, or a steak with ease. Someone else likely would have returned the knives because of the notches, but I did not because I was able to get them out and get the blade into better condition than the manufacturer. The metal plate over the knife block should be of concern... if you are trying to put away a knife and accidentally stick it into the metal you could damage the knife. I do not feel as though these knives will last long, but for now as long as I maintain the cutting edge they should serve their purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great knives, great value, January 13, 2011
I have had this set of knives for over a year now and still love them. I use them several times each week for making meals and they have stayed quite sharp. It only takes a few seconds and a few swipes along the sharpening blade every time I pull a knife out of the block, and I can cut through a potato as easily as I can cut through butter. I too use the santoku knife more than the others as it is a great size and feels very well-balanced for slicing and chopping. Having previously used cheaper knives, I wanted to see if it really was worth the money to buy a set like this. I can say without a doubt that this has been an excellent investment and I highly reccommend this set of knives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the price, October 26, 2012
As a certified chef, I have a very pricey set of knives I use for work, but I wanted a good looking well made set for my kitchen at home. These knives have a nice weight, excellent hardness (keeps sharp under heavy use), and they offer a good grip even with wet hands. The bamboo block adds a very nice decorative touch. The knives will require frequent sharpening IF you use them a lot, but for daily use in a home kitchen they will hold an edge for a long time.
The package claims "Dishwasher safe". I don't recommend putting them in a dishwasher. It will dull them and water will probably get in between the metal and the rubber of the handles. Wash them by hand with hot soapy water and they will last forever.
Be very careful, the factory edge on these knives will shave your arm, in other words THEY ARE EXTREMELY SHARP!
For the serious amateur home chef/cook these are a great buy. They will stand up to daily use and keep a good sharp edge, as will just about any Chicago Cutlery knives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleaned a wild hog just 1 day after received., March 19, 2013
I was sceptical about the price, but the reviews convinced me. We bought Henckels from Costco a few years ago for twice the price and they have not held up in the least.

Back to my story, as we cleaned this wild animal I was very impressed how the knifes performed. Would strongly recommend to anyone who is on the fence to buy these. Very good knifes :0)

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Middle of the Road Set, January 17, 2014
I have had this set of knives for over 2 years now. I use the chef's knife almost every day and have not had to bring it in for professional sharpening - the included sharpening steel, when used properly, has kept my knife as sharp as when I got this set (it was a gift). The weight and the grip are perfect, doesn't feel cheap at all. I use the other knives less often but they still get used and the steak knives get used a couple times a week. The steak knifes are definitely the least awesome part of this set, they dull pretty easily, so you may just want to shoot for a set of Chicago Cutlery that doesn't include the steak knives. Like I said though, if you take a little time to sharpen things it's no big deal.

I've read some reviews complaining about corrosion or issues with dish washing the knives. To be quite frank, you should never dish wash your knives. If you want dishwasher safe knives, go buy a cheap set. The detergent used and the way a dishwasher works, along with the fact that your knifes are being knocked around, will affect your blades, it's just a bad idea over all for any decent knives you have. Google it if you don't believe me. It makes no sense to spend a bunch on nicer knives only to be too lazy to take 20 seconds to wash them.

My eventual goal is to trade up to Shun knives because they are spectacular, but this set has and continues to serve me well enough and I've not had any major issues with them. Also, the block is really nice looking and will look good, not cheap, on your kitchen counter.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the set to buy!, November 3, 2011
I searched so many reviews to finally decide on this set. I have had them over a year now and I would buy this set again. A third party that tests knives rated this set as fair for cutting; however, I am very aware that I can cut myself at any moment because of their sharpness and I have never had to saw any food. Their lifetime warranty cannot be beat. I initially received a set (not from Amazon) that was stored away too long and had some rust on them that got replaced without a problem. These knives are not only great on their own, but backed by a company that cares about its customers.

They are not low maintenance knives. They need to be cleaned by hand and dried after every use. They also need to be sharpened regularly with the included sharpener. Aside from that I would recommend this set for a beginner chef/cook, housewife, or anyone looking to do some basic daily cooking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hi 3 lo 4..., July 28, 2011
I bought these on a gold box for $60. They are very sharp but cutting with them feels a bit off. I bought them for my mom and she has more experience with them but also agrees something feels weird even though they really work quite well. I have a very expensive wusthoff set that feels better but need to be sharpened way more frequently. So for $60 they are a 4.5, but for whatever they are charging now... $130 for the cheaper block... I would say its a 3.8...

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT KNIFE SET, but YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!!, November 29, 2013
I love this knife set, absolutely gorgeous! The knives are extremely sharp.. you literally can slice through a soft squishy tomato with NO issue whatsoever. Very well made. I also would like to point out that these are beautiful. They're so beautiful in fact that I'm not going to be lazy and put them in the dishwasher, like I did with my other knife set. They say to not be run through, and normally I'd totally not care, but these are that nice. I've requested that my housekeeper wash them by hand, or leave them for me to do. Really love them!

Oh yeah.. just be careful, because I really can't stress enough how sharp these are! BFF sliced her hand open the first night I got them. We made fajitas, with big fresh red, orange, and yellow peppers, red onions and fresh mushrooms, so tons of cutting, and we did.. and she did.. lol. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

ARRAY(0x9d2fb888)