4.0 out of 5 stars Great Dollar per Knife Ratio (DpKR)
I will start by saying that I purchased these for $99 which at $5.5 represents a great value-per-knife ratio

Here is a ranked order of things I look for in a Knife Set:

Published 19 months ago by philyodaddy

3.0 out of 5 stars Some blades arrived with notches
Published on September 3, 2011 by citizen083

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Dollar per Knife Ratio (DpKR), January 18, 2013
This review is from: Chicago Cutlery 1090390 Fusion 18-Piece Knife Block Set, Stainless Steel with Honey Maple Wood Block (Kitchen)

Here is a ranked order of things I look for in a Knife Set:
1) Sharp as hell
2) Sharp as hell
3) Sharp as hell
4) looks pretty

That is the entire list. I am not nearly proficient enough in the kitchen to have other requirements. The knives are sharp as hell. They cut the crap out of stuff. I enjoy showing off their sharpness to amazed visitors (more realistically, I just show my girlfriend over and over again). Look how easy it is to cut through lemons! You try! Case closed. They are also a pretty good looking knife set. I'm not sure I needed 18 knives, because I only know what about 8 of them do, but it is impressive looking and really makes people know that I'm the boss.

I purchased them about 1 month ago, so I cannot objectively weigh in on the rust-issue (I have none at this point). Therefore my only real con at this point is that this point is that the block is really big and awkwardly fits in my small New York City kitchen. Please note the massive size before you follow me to sharpcity.

Update: 4/27/14 - THERE IS NO RUST. Believe it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Near-complete for kitchen but definitely not a 'pro' set, January 15, 2011
Can't really go wrong with this (made in China) set. For the price, that is.

These are heavy, well balanced, forged knives, blades made of rust-resistant, reasonably good quality high-carbon stainless steel. On the box it says that they are 'fusion forged' but I have no idea what that means. The specialized knives come with a black polymer, 'non slip' soft grip. The stake knives have stainless steel handles.

The Santoku and Partoku knives come with oval indents that are meant to allow food to release from the blade. All knives feature forged bolsters for better balance and to keep fingers from running up on the blade.

You get the following knives:

- 7.75" chef knife
- 7" Santoku (slice, dice, chop and mince)
- 8" Slicer
- 3.5" Parer
- 3" Peeler
- 7.75" Bread
- 5" Partoku (smaller than the Santoku, combines the convenience of a paring knife with the versatility of the Santoku)
- 5" Utility
- 4.25" Steak (8 of these)

And, of course, there is the sharpening tool.

While clearly not 'high end', and no one should expect 'chef' knives at this price, they appear to be durable. The block is solid, heavy wood and there is also a sharpener. And this set comes with some of the sharpest steak knives I've seen. The only issue I have but it's no big deal, really, is that the handles tend to be a little small.

________________________________________________

Note:

Be aware that this set does not necessarily come with Omaha Stakes coupons. Mine didn't and I didn't expect one. I mention this because at least one review mentions an $80 coupon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the price, October 26, 2012
As a certified chef, I have a very pricey set of knives I use for work, but I wanted a good looking well made set for my kitchen at home. These knives have a nice weight, excellent hardness (keeps sharp under heavy use), and they offer a good grip even with wet hands. The bamboo block adds a very nice decorative touch. The knives will require frequent sharpening IF you use them a lot, but for daily use in a home kitchen they will hold an edge for a long time.
The package claims "Dishwasher safe". I don't recommend putting them in a dishwasher. It will dull them and water will probably get in between the metal and the rubber of the handles. Wash them by hand with hot soapy water and they will last forever.
Be very careful, the factory edge on these knives will shave your arm, in other words THEY ARE EXTREMELY SHARP!
For the serious amateur home chef/cook these are a great buy. They will stand up to daily use and keep a good sharp edge, as will just about any Chicago Cutlery knives.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can stop looking!, April 25, 2014
I researched and researched and finally decided on this set. I enjoy cooking and trying new recipes, but without the proper tools, such as an excellent set of knives? It can be a beating. I am kicking myself for waiting so long to make the 'splurge'!

I had to pick the package up when it was delivered at my apartment office, and stunned by how heavy it was; it is quite a substantial item! The actual box it came in is very helpful, as not only does it describe in detail the different knives and their uses? The lid flaps indicate which knife goes in which slot in the block. It's not as obvious as you'd think! Guess how I know? LOL

Helpful hint: I was watching this item for a few weeks hoping for a price drop. I checked it just last week, and was thrilled to see it dropped by $20 from $117 to $97. I snatched it up quickly, and good thing I did, because the price has gone back to $117. I think this is a great price as is (based on my research), but if you are not in a hurry, you may want to keep a watch for it to drop again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great knives, great value, January 13, 2011
I have had this set of knives for over a year now and still love them. I use them several times each week for making meals and they have stayed quite sharp. It only takes a few seconds and a few swipes along the sharpening blade every time I pull a knife out of the block, and I can cut through a potato as easily as I can cut through butter. I too use the santoku knife more than the others as it is a great size and feels very well-balanced for slicing and chopping. Having previously used cheaper knives, I wanted to see if it really was worth the money to buy a set like this. I can say without a doubt that this has been an excellent investment and I highly reccommend this set of knives.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some blades arrived with notches, September 3, 2011
The majority of the blades arrived in great condition. The Chef's knife, the 5" Santoku, and the paring knife all had notches in the blades and required me to sharpen with a whetstone before use. The knives feel good in my hands, and slide right through a full sized watermelon, hard veggies, or a steak with ease. Someone else likely would have returned the knives because of the notches, but I did not because I was able to get them out and get the blade into better condition than the manufacturer. The metal plate over the knife block should be of concern... if you are trying to put away a knife and accidentally stick it into the metal you could damage the knife. I do not feel as though these knives will last long, but for now as long as I maintain the cutting edge they should serve their purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT KNIFE SET, but YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!!, November 29, 2013
I love this knife set, absolutely gorgeous! The knives are extremely sharp.. you literally can slice through a soft squishy tomato with NO issue whatsoever. Very well made. I also would like to point out that these are beautiful. They're so beautiful in fact that I'm not going to be lazy and put them in the dishwasher, like I did with my other knife set. They say to not be run through, and normally I'd totally not care, but these are that nice. I've requested that my housekeeper wash them by hand, or leave them for me to do. Really love them!

Oh yeah.. just be careful, because I really can't stress enough how sharp these are! BFF sliced her hand open the first night I got them. We made fajitas, with big fresh red, orange, and yellow peppers, red onions and fresh mushrooms, so tons of cutting, and we did.. and she did.. lol. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Middle of the Road Set, January 17, 2014
I have had this set of knives for over 2 years now. I use the chef's knife almost every day and have not had to bring it in for professional sharpening - the included sharpening steel, when used properly, has kept my knife as sharp as when I got this set (it was a gift). The weight and the grip are perfect, doesn't feel cheap at all. I use the other knives less often but they still get used and the steak knives get used a couple times a week. The steak knifes are definitely the least awesome part of this set, they dull pretty easily, so you may just want to shoot for a set of Chicago Cutlery that doesn't include the steak knives. Like I said though, if you take a little time to sharpen things it's no big deal.

I've read some reviews complaining about corrosion or issues with dish washing the knives. To be quite frank, you should never dish wash your knives. If you want dishwasher safe knives, go buy a cheap set. The detergent used and the way a dishwasher works, along with the fact that your knifes are being knocked around, will affect your blades, it's just a bad idea over all for any decent knives you have. Google it if you don't believe me. It makes no sense to spend a bunch on nicer knives only to be too lazy to take 20 seconds to wash them.

My eventual goal is to trade up to Shun knives because they are spectacular, but this set has and continues to serve me well enough and I've not had any major issues with them. Also, the block is really nice looking and will look good, not cheap, on your kitchen counter.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very good set, except..., May 26, 2014
First, aesthetically the set looks great. The knives are very sharp and do exactly as I need them to do.

However, the steak knives are now covered in rust spots after hand washing them! I would have nothing but good things to say had this set come with steak knives that do not rust under such little stress. I expected more from Chicago Cutlery.

Travis

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor Quality, April 7, 2014
I am someone that researches before I buy. That being said, I did my homework through the reviews and thought these would be a good choice. I did see that there were several reviews stating that these knives rust easily. But overall the reviews for this knife set were very good, so I decided to give them a chance. I have owned the set for a month now. I only hand wash these knives, and still I get rust on the blade of them. You have to immediately dry the knives or they leave a very ugly cloudy film on them as well. Overall I do not mind hand washing these, nor do I mind having to towel dry them immediately after washing, but still THEY RUST! As if that isn't bad enough, my wife accidently dropped one of the steak knives out of her hand and into the kitchen sink (not the floor or onto anything hard, just back into the sink), upon which the steak knife snapped in half.....SNAPPED IN HALF! You have got to be kidding me how poor the quality issues are for these knives. I had owned a cheap $60 set for 6 years before I decided I wanted to buy these. Hands down the cheap set was better. Now I have to take the time to contact the company and see what if anything they will do to replace the broken knife.

Rate and Discover Movies