The new version is certainly worth the purchase price! They've added an entire new section on electronic publishing, updated capitalization rules (web [lowercase] is now acceptable), made things more consistent, and speaking of consistency, added a new section on parallel structure. :)

The updated rules for numbers now allow me to toss the ancient GPO Style...
Published on September 23, 2010 by M. Hawkins

3.0 out of 5 stars I'll Just Be Sitting Here Waiting for The Chicago Manual of Style For Dummies Edition
Ouch. Bought this because I'm a writer and reading books on craft is part of the deal. It is huge. I'll admit right here and now that after trying to find information in this book I ended up googling my questions and settling on the most likely answer. (See if I'd read it all I'd know that googling should be capitalized, right? But I'm an anarchist at heart anyway.) I'd...
Published 2 months ago by Glitter Globe

5.0 out of 5 stars Chicago has updated itself enough so I think I can actually toss some of my other reference books!, September 23, 2010
This review is from: The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th Edition (Hardcover)

The updated rules for numbers now allow me to toss the ancient GPO Style Manual kept handy for that (I work in science and technology), not to mention the new usage section covering most of the troublesome words means I'll be reaching for my American Heritage dictionary less frequently.

Well done Chicago! Thank you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another must-have, April 29, 2011
This review is from: The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th Edition (Hardcover)
This latest edition of the "Chicago Manual of Style" is about 75 pages longer than the previous one and is structured a little differently, so navigating it is taking some getting used to. The University of Chicago Press does have a summary of changes between the 15th and 16th editions, so that helps longtime users of the 15th edition.

This edition reflects trends in publishing: sections on website publishing and electronic publishing have been expanded, while the focus on proofs, bluelines, and F&Gs has been reduced.

Illustrations and tables are combined into a single chapter near the front of the book in the 16th edition. Again, there is increased attention to scans and various electronic formats for images, as well as suggestions for web-based publication of images and tables.

Chapters 5 through 9 are still largely intact, although the useful hyphenation guide that comprises section 7.90 in the 15th edition has been changed to a pretty table, section 7.85, in the 16th edition. The table is a return to the table 6.1 format in the old 14th edition and makes for quicker reference once you get used to it.

The documentation section, chapters 14 and 15, is not substantively different except for more (helpful) rules about citing electronic books and journals, websites and blogs, databases, and multimedia materials.

Perhaps the most useful section is Appendix A, "Production and Digital Technology," which lays out general principles and a section titled "The Electronic Workflow."

This 16th edition is an improvement over the previous edition in its appearance as well as its utility. It's well worth the investment for anyone who writes, edits, or designs technical and scholarly works.

Kudos to the advisory board and Russell David Harper, the principal reviser, for going all the way back to the 14th edition to improve certain aspects of this edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chicago Manual of Style is a helpful guide for all writers, editors, and proofreaders., November 10, 2010
Jaime Lyn Dritt (BLAIRSTOWN, NEW JERSEY, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th Edition (Hardcover)
I do freelance work as an editor and proofreader. I also tutor students in writing and they need to follow specific style guidelines. I find the Chicago Manual of Style to be a very helpful, detailed guide. Most publishing companies use CM as their style guide, so I recommend it to freelancers. Even though I've tried the online subscription, I find a printed version easier to navigate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chicago Manual of Style, 16th Edition, November 13, 2010
This review is from: The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th Edition (Hardcover)
As a book editor (also called a book doctor), I must keep up with the latest style issues for books, and CMOS is the bible of book style. It may not be easy to find entries in the printed version, but I use the CMOS Web site to search the subject I need. It tells me the sections to examine in the book, which simplifies and speeds up the process. I also have an "Ask the Book Doctor" column that appears in many newsletters and Web sites for writers, and I welcome readers of the column to send me questions. I often turn to the Chicago Manual of Style to find the absolute and final answers to those questions. It's especially essential for resolving differences of opinions among members of critique circles and writers groups.The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Improvement over 15th edition, October 22, 2010
A. Farrington (Clinton, Montana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th Edition (Hardcover)
I find this edition much easier to use and more complete than the 15th edition. I was able to toss my "addendum" reference material that I kept with my 15th edition because each of those items are clearly covered in this version. I highly recommended this book for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the single most important book ever written, September 10, 2010
This review is from: The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th Edition (Hardcover)
This is an indispensable reference to all academic writers. Without it, I would be be most definitely lost. The updates in the 16th edition are most helpful as we live in a world of ever-changing media. The 15th edition did not tell me how to document material from kindle edition books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Edition Yet!, December 17, 2010
This review is from: The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th Edition (Hardcover)
This is an invaluable resource if you are going to publish a book or become an editor of those who do. Updated with all the most recent facts and changes the 16th edition of the Chicago Manual Style is the publishing standard. As I am currently completing my second non-fiction work I found that this edition of the style manual has all the details on how to cite online sources, e-books, Wiki pages and so on, and includes many examples and explanations to help you edit your book into the most professional writing imaginable. I even find myself reading through it just for all the interesting information I didn't know! (Bookworm alert! Seriously though--the geek in me thinks it's totally fun to read this technical manual on writing.) If you're a writer and this book isn't on your bookshelf then you're not a real writer--get serious and get this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still tops in style manuals, September 21, 2010
This review is from: The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th Edition (Hardcover)
Although a professional writer, I still get stuck on questions of basic usage. The Chicago Manual of Style remains the final word on what is correct. I'm glad to have the updated edition since some rules may change over time.

5.0 out of 5 stars a fascinating guide to the English language, January 31, 2012
This review is from: The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th Edition (Hardcover)
As someone who has used previous editions of the Chicago Manual, I can say without doubt that this one is a huge improvement in so many ways. It is now actually exciting and interesting to read, and also significantly more complete than previous editions. Other reviewers have mentioned some of the additions, such as accommodation for digital citations, but there are many others too. What I like especially is the way it is expressed in plain English, without any fussy complications or stuffiness. I enjoy reading it on its own, whether or not I am consulting it for a specific purpose. Believe me, I never could have said that about any previous edition of the Chicago Manual! I was checking it today for some information about how to index a book, and I noticed there was even a bit of humor in one sentence about the way an index can be overdone. I couldn't believe I was actually laughing at the prose in the Chicago Manual! This great old book has come a long way, and I think it's superb, not only for writing but also for spoken English (see especially the section called "grammar and usage," which makes fascinating reading). If you like the English language and want to know more about it, you'll love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference book, February 7, 2011
This review is from: The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th Edition (Hardcover)
For those of us wannabe authors who cannot remember whether the period goes before or after the quotation marks, or whether to capitalize "A.M." and "P.M.", the Chicago Manual of Style is an indispensible tool. You can find just about anything in the index and, while the written explanations are not always crystal-clear, for most things they give a few on-point examples, so you can figure it out yourself. Glad I invested in this.

The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th Edition
The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th Edition by University of Chicago Press Staff (Hardcover - August 1, 2010)
$65.00 $40.90