5.0 out of 5 stars A classic from another century
Published on December 2, 2008 by Starwoman33

3.0 out of 5 stars works well
when the pan came, i was worried about even cooking since there is no vent in the middle, and it is the same width as a tube pan. But it worked just fine, and offers some variety for cake baking. The middle can be filled with just about anything.
Published on October 25, 2007 by S. Canavespe

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic from another century, December 2, 2008
This review is from: Chicago Metallic Maryann Cake Pan (Kitchen)
My cook's heart was all a-flutter when I saw this cake pan I'd never heard of before (not even Martha has it listed). I did not make a mistake in adding it to my working collection. This well-crafted cake pan is a reprise of the Maryann cake pan style that was very popular in the beginning of the last century. In the 1950's, the style enjoyed another run and cake mix manufacturers sold a mix kit that included the pan. There are people with old clipped recipes searching for these pans they remember from their mother's kitchens, but today it is a little difficult to find recipes specific to the pan, although a chocolate mousse cake recipe is included. A chocolate cherry cake, similar to a Black Forest Torte, was apparently the 1950's package cake and many people still remember it. But don't let the recipe availability stop you. This is a finely crafted pan for modern times, non-stick and dishwasher safe. The edges are gracefully fluted and, of course, the real draw is the recessed center I was after. I like to fill the recessed area with fresh fruit, with or without a glaze. When fruits come from my own tree, this is the fitting design to properly showcase them. Six cups of batter fills it 3/4 full. Eight cups fills it up, but that would overflow with a standard batter. A genoise-style cake would also be a good choice. The cake serves 16, so it makes a nice and attractive appearance at pot-lucks as well as the finale to a fine dinner party. When I located this pan, I was actually after a shallower version to make a German style dessert shell I used to purchase for quick desserts and can't find anymore. For that purpose, I now know a flan pan will do. In Germany, the more shallow pan is called an "Obsttortenform", ("fruit cake form"), because the flans there are almost always topped with fruit. It's also called in German "Tortenboden" (meaning "cake bottom".) Amazon has this style, too, as a flan pan. It takes less batter. Searching the German words will turn up a few more recipes for both. If any of you have recipes for the Maryann pan, please post them on recipe websites for the benefit of all. This little charmer should be due for a nice comeback!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Elegance, January 19, 2008
NuJoi "Create with me" (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Chicago Metallic Maryann Cake Pan (Kitchen)
What a wonderful pan! It allows you to make a professional looking dessert with such ease. I've used boxed cake mix as well as scratch cakes, all with great results. Use Baker's Joy or another oil spray with flour and you'll have no problem getting the cake out of the pan. The cake bakes evenly.

Delicious toppings include whip cream, lemon curd, caramel, pastry cream, pudding and ganache. Add fruit or nuts for garnish and you have a beautiful cake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pan, great cakes!, September 5, 2008
This review is from: Chicago Metallic Maryann Cake Pan (Kitchen)
I have baked two cakes using this pan and it cameout great each time.
See recipe at [...]

I used different filling, first time used chocolate ganache topped with fresh rasberries and the second time a vanila cream filling topped with all different fruits. It was a huge success.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavier Than I'd Expected..., September 18, 2010
This review is from: Chicago Metallic Maryann Cake Pan (Kitchen)
The MaryAnn Pan is something of an anachronism; once a kitchen staple, they're now hard to find. This one is large enough to take a full two-layer cake mix or recipe and is stamped out of heavy enough steel that it holds its shape perfectly. It's also non-stick, which makes unmolding a breeze. A plain pan, even greased and floured, can be a little iffy and this is something that's all about presentation. I use it primarily for strawberry shortcake, with a French Vanilla cake mix and four pounds of prepared strawberries. It makes for a nice party-sized presentation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mary Ann Cake Pan, March 25, 2013
This review is from: Chicago Metallic Maryann Cake Pan (Kitchen)
It is my mistake when I ordered it that I did not pay attention to dimensioins. This cake pan makes 1/2 of a boxed cake mix -- I made it with one box cakemix and it went all over the oven! Other than my stupidity, this is a wonderful little cake pan, just plan on making 2 cakes with it if you use a boxed cake mix! I have made it filled with cherries, apricots, mixed fresh fruit, and lemon curd. Love love love the opportunities this cake pan allows with today's eating better! I would highly recommend this cake pan for fun new serving ideas and playing with eating healthier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pan!, July 14, 2008
This review is from: Chicago Metallic Maryann Cake Pan (Kitchen)
This is a great pan if you like to make cakes with fillings such as pudding or fruit. I would buy it again.

3.0 out of 5 stars works well, October 25, 2007