5.0 out of 5 stars Oh, Heavenly!
Published on February 18, 2011 by Mamie H.

3.0 out of 5 stars Teflon and high heat don't mix
I don't own this item, but I have done some research that might be helpful when you review those negative comments about the non-stick coating peeling off.

Published on December 5, 2011 by J. Janssen

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh, Heavenly!, February 18, 2011
This review is from: Chicago Metallic Non Stick 6-Cup Popover Pan (Kitchen)
I purchased three of these, one for me and two for gifts for friends. I will definitely purchase another, as 6 popovers vanish in no time with my family. I used the recipe that came with the packaging and had great success. Actually, after my first attempt I opted not to add the butter to the bottom of the cups because it just wasn't necessary if you give them a squirt of non-stick spray. They literally slide right out of the cups. I've had the popovers reach the height of 8 inches using this pan. Quite "showy" for dinner guests. One trick I learned from my Betty Crocker cook book - when the popovers are done, take them out and poke a hole in the top of each one to let the steam out, then return to the oven for 5 minutes. This avoids the sometimes soggy bottoms from steam buildup and gives a bit of a crisper crust with soft chewy inside. YUM. Make sure you take the popovers right out of the pan into a serving basket as soon as they are done so no steam develops in the bottom of the cup while they sit and cool. Overall I give these specific pans an A+. We use it all the time - from filling with jam and butter to Chicken a la King to curries, popovers rule!

5.0 out of 5 stars a "must have" for popovers, November 2, 2010
Massachusetts Girl (Southwest Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chicago Metallic Non Stick 6-Cup Popover Pan (Kitchen)
I've tried many recipes and many pans for popovers, including a cast iron pan. But this pan and Martha Stewart's recipe are a never-fail combo. No more popover "muffins." The popovers grow very tall and perfectly crispy on the outside, moist on the inside.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Popover Pan, March 5, 2011
Walter J. Gilbert (Baltimore, Maryland, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chicago Metallic Non Stick 6-Cup Popover Pan (Kitchen)
This popover pan makes spectacular popovers. The only trick is to very generously grease the cups with butter, margarine, etc.; oil will not do. If a popover sticks, you will often destroy it or the cup removing it. Also, don't let the pan stand in water or with water in the cups, it will rust if there are any scratches. Finally, you don't need to buy popover mix, the recipe is very simple.

Walter Gilbert

Ingredients:
1½ cups warm milk
1½ cups flour
3 warm eggs
1½ tbsp melted butter
½ tsp salt
butter or oleo for greasing pans (not oil)

Adjust the oven rack to about ¼ of the way up from the bottom. Preheat oven to 475ºF. Warm the eggs in warm water to "bath temperature", but not so warm that they start to cook; do this in the mixing bowl, this warms the bowl, too. Measure milk in a 2-cup measuring cup with a pouring lip, add butter and salt; warm in microwave oven until decidedly warm and the butter is melted. Beat eggs in mixing bowl until well blended. Add milk-butter mixture; beat until blended. Beat in the flour ½ cup at a time at low speed until smooth. A soft spatula is useful for wiping down the sides of the bowl. The batter should be about the consistency of whipping cream; if it is too thick, add a little warm water.

The batter should be used promptly, it cannot be made ahead of time. Grease the cups generously, being sure to leave no dry spots for the popover to stick to, then pour in batter until about 2/3 full. This is easily done by filling the measuring cup with batter and pouring into the cups.

Put the popover pan into the center of the oven. If you are using the small cups, bake for 15 minutes then turn temperature down to 375ºF for 20 more minutes; do not open the door during baking. If making large popovers, baking times are 20 minutes at 475ºF and 30 minutes at 375ºF. Serve warm.

Note: There is no leavening in the popover batter, they rise as the batter boils in the very hot oven. This is why it is good to work with warm ingredients.

5.0 out of 5 stars the perfect popover, October 24, 2010
This review is from: Chicago Metallic Non Stick 6-Cup Popover Pan (Kitchen)
I love to bake and this is by far my favorite pan. I have been making popovers in muffin pans. This made my popovers so much better. I could not ask for better bake-ware.

3.0 out of 5 stars Teflon and high heat don't mix, December 5, 2011
J. Janssen (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chicago Metallic Non Stick 6-Cup Popover Pan (Kitchen)

When Du Pont first introduced it's Teflon product 50 years ago they enclosed small print warnings about not subjecting the product to high heat. As time passed a great deal of concern emerged about the health damaging properties of Teflon and related non-stick coatings. While Teflon is still around, most non-stick cookware purchased today is finished with unknown polymers that may not have the same chemical properties as the original Teflon. Du Pont maintains that Teflon is safe up to "roasting" temperatures on some data sheets, "broiling" temperatures on other product info, and alternatively references a maximum of 500 degrees in yet a third category of literature. A google search will identify many web pages countering Du Pont's claims with some indication of product instability occurring as low as 450 degrees. The generic versions of Teflon are much harder to quantify, particularly when they're manufactured in countries outside of North America or the E.U. It's likely that the breakdown point for some of these generic coatings may be significantly lower than even the 450 degree figure.

This gets us to these popover tins and the recipes many of the reviewers are using. Simply put, they call for a 450-475 degree oven which is dangerously close to, or exceeds, the critical temperature at which Teflon is judged safe by it's manufacturer. Given that these pans are finished with a generic coating, the critical point at which the coating becomes unstable could be significantly lower. Even though Chicago Metallic products are traditionally made in the US, this product does not indicate USA manufacture anywhere on the product description page, and it's small cup sibling ("Chicago Metallic Non-Stick 12 Cup Mini Popover Pan") is made in Taiwan. No identification of the generic non stick coating is provided nor is there any information as to how it is bonded to the underlying substrate in order to avoid "flaking or peeling", a common complaint mentioned by those reviewers who have had problems.

All of this leads to my belief that non-stick coatings do not belong on cookware that is subjected to repeated high heat. While coated cake pans may perform just fine at the more moderate temperatures cakes are baked at, the 450-500 degree temp required for popovers is likely beyond the product's margin of safety and sooner or later the material will start to break down after repeated thermal loading. I would also mention that the negative reviews are reporting physical damage to the product's integrity, not the more commonly debated molecular dangers associated with non-stick coatings, which is another matter entirely. Common sense alone would guide most people to avoid any product that "flakes off" into their food even if they don't believe that molecular polymers migrate from coating to food during the thermal process.

If you want to use a Teflon type product, you might conside; the US made "Nordic Ware Grand Popover Pan". It costs about twice what this Chicago Metallic pan does but, thus far, has garnered a limited number of 5 star reviews with no reports of flaking or peeling.

2.0 out of 5 stars the non stick peels off!!!, July 31, 2011
This review is from: Chicago Metallic Non Stick 6-Cup Popover Pan (Kitchen)
ok... this WAS a great pan. It worked well with really evenly baked popovers consistently. The only problem that I'm having now which is a BIG problem for me since I have kids is that the non stick is peeling off! It's really sad because I love the popovers this pan produced. Too bad they were slowly killing me and my family :( Maybe that's a little dramatic... but the long term health effects from exposure to teflon are debatable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Happy, November 3, 2011
This review is from: Chicago Metallic Non Stick 6-Cup Popover Pan (Kitchen)
After reading lots of reviews for popover pans, I purchased this one as a gift for my husband - he had been saying for years he wanted to learn to make popovers. We used it for about a month before the soldering on one of the cups broke. It still works, the cup just sits on the metal rails, and isn't attached, which makes putting it in and taking it out of the oven tricky. I also noticed that after about 2 months the cups were sticky, and not really coming clean anymore. I am not sure if this is because of the high temp the butter is heated at, or the grease from the cheesy popovers we make being baked on. I have used a scour pad a couple of times when the stickiness gets really bad, and so far haven't had any issues with the non-stick coating coming off, and we have been using it a couple times a month for almost a year. I will definitely keep an eye on the coating now that I am aware of other problems though. Overall, happy with the way the pan bakes the popovers, just wish that they could fix the soldering issue with the way the cups are attached.

5.0 out of 5 stars pretty good pan, December 4, 2010
This review is from: Chicago Metallic Non Stick 6-Cup Popover Pan (Kitchen)
This pan is sturdy and has a very nice non-stick finish. I own other products from this company and they have always met my expectations with regard to quality and performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, December 31, 2010
Amy K Villalon (SAN RAMON, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chicago Metallic Non Stick 6-Cup Popover Pan (Kitchen)
I love this pan!! works so great, my popovers come out great every time!! washs great too and stores well......

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad item coat is peeling off it's all in the popovers, September 29, 2011
This review is from: Chicago Metallic Non Stick 6-Cup Popover Pan (Kitchen)
I just used this twice and the peeling comes off. The paint or coater is all in the popovers. I would like to return these item

Chicago Metallic Non Stick 6-Cup Popover Pan