5.0 out of 5 stars Great read for book club!, December 5, 2010
E. Shipman "EShipman" (Long Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chicana (Paperback)
Fantastic book about immigration and what it is like to uproot your family from your home country and move them to the United States. An informative look at the costs of relationships and the difficulties this kind of move takes. I was interested in family story from beginning to end. Seems like the kind of book 5th and 6th graders should read to get a better idea of how different or similar another family's story can be to your own. Try this book for your next book club choice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Page Turner, January 28, 2011
This review is from: Chicana (Kindle Edition)
I found this enthralling book a quick read. It opened up my view of the hispanic community and disfunctional families with abuse. Although there was violence in the book it wasn't full of bad language which I was surprised by but appreciated. I didn't have any trouble comprehending the story line even though I don't speak spanish. Burroughs uses common spanish words or defines them within the text or in the short glossary in the back of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, February 19, 2011
Lily Ann Sholer (Danville, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chicana (Paperback)
Debra Burroughs is a gifted writer. This is a gripping account of love, patience, and survival. A book you will not be able to put down, you will smile and you will cry. Thank you, Debra for sharing your story with us. It helps our generation to truly grasp the magnitude of suffering our grandparents endured for the chance of life in the USA. I highly recommend this book to everyone at any age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chicana-What an epic story!, November 18, 2010
This review is from: Chicana (Kindle Edition)
Gripping tale of a real family that came to the U.S from Mexico to escape death and disease. I found it fast-paced and compelling, both heart-wrenching and encouraging how the main characters suffered and overcame so many adversities. You don't often think of the immigrant's side of the story when you think of immigration, legal or illegal, the strength to overcome and to escape a brutal life. A great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book, May 11, 2011
This review is from: Chicana (Kindle Edition)
I loved this heartwarming book about 3 generations of strong women who overcame very difficult challenges in life. I could not put it down, beautifully written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling!, December 4, 2010
This review is from: Chicana (Paperback)
Chicana was a wonderful read that kept me' in the moment' throughout the book. Thank you, Debbie for sharing your heritage and life with us. It was enthralling and very emotional and I am happy that you took the BIG step of exercising your gift as a writer! Your talent is obvious and I will look forward to many more books to come!

5.0 out of 5 stars Instantly addicting, November 18, 2010
This review is from: Chicana (Paperback)
Loved the book. Found myself instantly addicted to it. Debra kept close account of her family history and related the stories in an exciting and heartfelt way. Anyone can gain wisdom from enjoying her gripping story.
This book showed me that if I open my eyes, I might see more in those around me than what appears to be true from first glance. It is a good reminder that everyone has a story, and we all need to look beyond ourselves to watch for the needs of our neighbors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting and Inspirational, November 21, 2010
This review is from: Chicana (Kindle Edition)
Finished this book in 2 sittings... just couldn't put it down. It's a moving story about three generations of Hispanic immigrants told through the eyes of a grandmother, mother and daughter. It's a beautiful tribute to human love, strength and survival.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Adventure and an easy read!, November 12, 2010
This review is from: Chicana (Paperback)
This book was so good I read it in one afternoon. I just couldn't put it down! It's full of suspense, adventure, heartache and romance. It is also quite an inspiration to those facing adversity. It's a must read!!

Chicana
Chicana by Debra Burroughs (Paperback - October 20, 2010)
Used & New from: $45.68