5.0 out of 5 stars Please ignore the one star review

3.0 out of 5 stars Good solid base, but not exactly a necessity
Published on August 22, 2012 by elledent

5.0 out of 5 stars Please ignore the one star review, April 1, 2008
D. Hardaway "dhardawa" (Louisville, KY United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Chicco KeyFitand KeyFit30 Infant Car Seat Base , Anthracite (Baby Product)
Please ignore the reviewer who rated the seat one star due to the rebound issue. I am a certified child passenger safety technician and this is NOT a safety concern. Almost all rear facing seats will rebound in a crash. The only ones that won't are infant seats with rigid LATCH (the only one currently available in the US is the Baby Trend Latch-Loc with rigid LATCH) or one with an anti-rebound bar like the Britax Companion and convertible seats that tether rear facing (all Britax convertible seats, Sunshine Kids Radian, etc). As long as your seat moves less than an inch in any direction AT THE BELT PATH (i.e. on an infant seat with a base, right at the seat crack where the other poster said it was tight) it is safe. The Chicco KeyFit is a very good seat. It is without a doubt one of the best on the market currently. It installs like a dream and fits small babies very well. As a tech of seven years, I would not hesitate to recommend this seat or use it for my own child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Car Seat Base, December 3, 2007
JSKW3 (Wichita, KS) - See all my reviews
This chicco car seat base is so easy to use. We already had the car seat and base for my wife's car, and we just needed the base for mine so we dont have to take it in and out. The latch is super easy (cars 2002 and newer) it tightens easy with one pull, and seat belts on this base seem to fit exactly like they should. The base has 2 levels easy to read. The car seat clicks in when you set it in, and your done and ready to drive. This is the base for babies up to 30 lbs. Our car seat was the year prior when they only hold up to 22 lbs, but this car seat base accepts both the 22 and 30 lb. car seats perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars We own three bases and used for a year with no issues., November 10, 2008
We have three bases and the matching Chicco Infant Seat. We used them from 2007 until fall of 2008 without a single issue. Having the extra bases was invaluable. We had one in our van, on in my husband's explorer, and also put one in grandma's new durango. Previous to owning the van I had a grand prix 4-door sedan without latch, and it worked just great in that car also. I prefer the latch installation of course, but I loved how you can just adjust by pressing the orange buttons to get the base level in any style car. Great product. We will be using this again in about 4 months with baby #2

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandparents Need Car Seat Base, February 20, 2009
As first-time grandparents, we decided to get the Chicco KeyFit 30 car seat base, so that we too can transport the baby safely. We installed the base so that it's connected to the frame of the car (a simple operation), and now we just listen for the reassuring click, click to make sure the car seat is properly in place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely user friendly, December 31, 2008
I bought this base to go with my granddaughter's Chicco seat that is in her parents' car. It was easy to install and very easy to use. Unfortunately, she has now outgrown the seat and she is in another type of seat that isn't as user friendly. I highly recommend this base and the seat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great base, May 3, 2008
I bought this base for the 22lb max. weight car seat, and this base is great. We had a little trouble installing at first, so that it wouldn't lift at the back, but once we got use to it, it didn't budge at inch. We had the safety of our seat checked and we were given the OK. The seat seems very safe and I would buy it again, although I find it very heavy to carry! When we came out of the hospital, the midwife told us that our car seat was the easiest installation she had ever seen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Car seat base, May 11, 2008
Sylvia "Sylvia" (Louisville, KY USA) - See all my reviews
This car seat base allows our daughter and son-in-law to transfer their new bundle of joy between two vehicles. They are thrilled with the looks and the safety features of this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars LATCH can only be used in standard 11 inch positions, February 10, 2011
We just installed the seat with base last night (with a certified police child restraint installer) and were unsure if the base could be used with our LATCH anchors in the center seat position (2004 Ford Focus). The car owner's manual states that you can use LATCH in center position if, and only if:
1. the LATCH connections are a non-rigid type (this base's connections are non-rigid, so check)
2. the Child Restraint can be installed on LATCH anchors that are 450 mm (18 inches) apart.
From Page 106 of
"2004 Focus (foc)
Owners Guide (post-2002-fmt)
USA English (fus)"
"A child seat with rigid LATCH attachments cannot be installed at the center rear seat. A child seat with LATCH attachments on belt webbing can be used at the center rear seat unless a child seat at an outboard rear seat is attached to one of these lower anchors. Install a child seat onto the lower anchors at the center rear seat ONLY IF the child restraint manufacturer recommends that the child seat can be installed to anchors that are spaced up to 450 mm apart."

The Chicco manual did not state it, but I wanted to know for sure what our options are. We installed with the seat belt last night, to be on the safe side. I wrote to Chicco and then called and talk to a rep. The rep was very nice and knew the answer right away: only standard, 11 inch apart, LATCH anchors can be used with this base.

This does not take away from the seat at all, in my opinion, but I wanted to get this information out there to make sure that others who install this seat in a car with a similar set up will know. We had installed using LATCH in center position at first and it seemed to be a perfect fit, even the certified installer thought so, but because of the 450 mm caveat, I wanted to be sure, and so did the police officer.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to use accessory to a great car seat!, December 17, 2007
Alissa Frederick (Federal Way, Washington USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my sister for her brand new little girl. Now she and her partner can each have a base for the car seat in their car, and not worry about who has the base to pick her up from Grammie's house. The system is easy to use, and most importantly has the highest safety ratings. If you are planning to get the Chicco system and have more than one car

3.0 out of 5 stars Good solid base, but not exactly a necessity, August 22, 2012
When I was expecting my baby, I had a couple people tell me I should get an extra car seat base for our second car. They made it sound like I wouldn't be able to drive my baby around in the other car if I didn't have one. So I bought the extra base, and as far as the product goes, I don't have many complaints: it's sturdy and seems durable, it's easy to install, it's easy to use. It seems safe, though you need to make sure the car seat snaps into it on both sides--sometimes it sounds and feels like it does, but then as I'm driving I'll hear the other side click into place. I try to remember to wiggle the car seat handle before driving off to make sure it's in securely. My big disappointment with this product is that it really isn't necessary. While it takes about five seconds to snap the car seat into the base, it only takes about a minute to belt the seat into the car without the base. Check your vehicle's specifications, but we just have to pull the lap belt through the slits on the sides of the car seat, buckle the belt, make sure it's nice and tight and the angle's right, and we're off. To get it out, you just unbuckle the seat belt. I've looked for information online and haven't found anything that says it's safer to have a base (I could be wrong).

I really like my Chicco KeyFit Infant Car Seat - Limonata; it has a couple of quirks, but I'm pleased with my purchase. If I could do it over again, however, I would not have bought this extra base. Maybe the slight convenience edge is worth it for some, but I'd rather have my $85 back.