5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves it, but its a little wobbly

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sturdy if kid is pulling up
Published on August 13, 2009 by Sarah Wu

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves it, but its a little wobbly, July 3, 2004
L. Peppin (Fort Collins, CO) - See all my reviews
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Chicco Music 'N Play Table (Toy)
My son just loves this toy. He is 13 months old, and he returns to it several times per day. That said, his interest is almost entirely in the piano portion, which is detachable. So far, he has no interest in the "lego-like" things. He does play with the other half (little creatures which move and make noise), and enjoys them, but not as much as the piano. Of course, he has many music toys, and comes to this more often because it is raised, and as a pre-walker, he prefers to stand.
Problem: he loves to climb, and tries to climb ONTO this table all the time. It is way to wobbly (spelling?) for that, so I'm constantly telling him not to do that. He does seem to be learning, but I still have to keep an eye on him. However, I wouldn't trade this toy for any other he has right now. Not a day has gone by that he hasn't spent 30-60 minutes at it throughout the day since it arrived.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Choice & Good Value, November 11, 2004
M. Coe (Spring, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chicco Music 'N Play Table (Toy)
Pros:

Piano detaches

Table is small enough to not take over a play area

Small Toy side is great and my sons favorite

Storage area is fun for baby to empty and fill

Good price (I got my for under $30 and it was not a sale)

Two volume settings

Does not require any assembly

My son is 7 months & loves it as do toddler friends

Easy to clean

Cons

Legs aren't weighted so an older baby can drag it or even tump it

You do not get many blocks and they are an odd size

5.0 out of 5 stars My son's FAVORITE toy, August 12, 2005
Kristen Borsetti (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chicco Music 'N Play Table (Toy)
This was an instant hit with our son when we bought it. There are several components to the toy, but not too many to overstimulate or make it dis-interesting. With the table component, I agree with others - the legs can be wobbly IF your child is sitting on the ground and tries to pull the table down. I don't think that can be solved with any table on the market. But more importantly, you can take the table off the legs and set it on the ground. In either case, our son will crawl to it first thing in the morning and play with it endlessly (okay... he does have to sleep and eat).

The piano is by far the favorite. There is a piano book where the pages will turn. For each turn the piano will do different things: 1st page - the baby can play their own tune, 2nd page - a tune will automatically play when the keyboard is touched, 3rd page - the baby can follow along the lighted keys to play a tune. You can also change the sound to four different instruments. The other activity area contains different sounds (bees buzzing, frogs ribbeting, etc.) for different actions. My son is also very interested in this.

On the other (flip side) of the table, you can use this for the 10 building blocks provided. The Chicco blocks are nice and large, and my son loves play for the blocks and/or grabbing and reaching for them in the storage compartment of the table. He's not of the age to construct the blocks right now. He loves the sound of clinking them together and demolishing anything I build.

As a parent, I feel he his getting exposed to many different elements for his growth and this is definitely a toy he will not grow out of in a month. I can see him playing with this for months on end.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of my best purchases, December 10, 2004
This review is from: Chicco Music 'N Play Table (Toy)
I bought this table for my grandson when he started pulling himself up (about 7mos old) He passes alot of time playing the keyboard and dancing to his own music. And when he is into stacking blocks and such we can reverse the table and use the blocks. I have found this table to be very sturdy because now he takes out the part that is reverseable and climbs unto the table support and sits (just because he can). He is a climber.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy. My son loves to play the piano., November 25, 2004
This review is from: Chicco Music 'N Play Table (Toy)
I would absolutely recommend this toy. My son loves it, especially turning the pages to hear different songs. I gave it to him at the time he was 9 months old and just started to push himself to stand and he loves to play the piano standing from that time on. He also loves the blocks and he tries to reach them from the storage place below the piano all the time.

I do not care about the fact, that there is only 10 or so blocks, because it is just enough for his age, and when he is older, he moves to toys like Duplo anyway, I guess.

The only negative I've noticed is that the piano desk is just placed on the top and not secured anyhow, so he can lift the whole desk by pulling the strings above the pond up.

Anyway, it is a great toy and I would recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sturdy if kid is pulling up, August 13, 2009
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Chicco Music 'N Play Table (Toy)
My son is a late crawler and sure to be a late walker. As soon as I opened the package and set it up, he tried to pull up on it and it fell on him. It is not sturdy at all. He can only play on it supervised with me right there holding the toy so it doesn't tip over on him. I tried to push it up against a wall so he could try to pull up on it in a safe manner without my hands holding the toy down. That sort-of worked, but he could easily pull the toy forward away from the wall. It ended up falling on him again when I stepped out for a sec to put the wash in the dryer. Luckily he didn't cry, but he was startled.

The toys on top are great and fun for him. Too bad that I just couldn't leave his side while he played with the table. Ultimately I decided after a couple hours it had to go back. The top is removable and I could have just let him play with that on the floor, but I really wanted a "table" like the description said. I'll have to look into something else.

If your kid is a great walker and doesn't need to lean on anything for support, then I bet purchasing this product would be a better idea. In my situation I need something that he can practice pulling up on. This is not that product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but what's with the music?, January 11, 2005
This review is from: Chicco Music 'N Play Table (Toy)
Our 13-month old enjoys this table a lot. However it sounds like all the preprogrammed music was done in Shanghai. Vaguely American pieces are played with distinctly Chinese instruments and arrangements, basically comprising a sad-sounding fiddle, xylophones, and drums. It's some of the strangest music I've ever heard from any kids' toy (and unfortunately it's somewhat scratchy due to poor sampling or tone generation). Also be aware this item takes two sets of batteries: one for the activity area and the other for the music area. Pros: easy assembly, lots of items for the toddler to play with, and unlike many of their other toys it's one they can play with standing up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Music N' Play Table, November 6, 2004
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Chicco Music 'N Play Table (Toy)
I think this toy is very educational but at the same time kept my brother very entertained instead of bothering me all of the time. It is a 2 in 1 toy because it has blocks and it has all of the other stuff. When i was 7 I used to love legos but my mom would vacuum them up since I wouldnt pick them up so I decided if I got bigger blocks then that would help. This is a great way to keep your son, daughter, brther or sister entertained and then your parents wwont wvacuum up all the blocks.

Thanx a bunch

Missy ( Marissa)

5.0 out of 5 stars great toy but where can I get more blocks?, November 6, 2004
This review is from: Chicco Music 'N Play Table (Toy)
My son received this as a birthday gift and he just loves it! He loves turningthe pages on the piano and moving the little bugs around. He also likes playing with the blocks which there are only ten of. I looked on a number of websites and am unable to find a set of more blocks to go with the table. So, it is really cute, my son loves standing and playing with it but, there could be more building blocks with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for a baby pulling up to stand, April 6, 2011
This review is from: Chicco Music 'N Play Table (Toy)
My 9 month old is pulling himself up to stand, and while he is very interested in playing with this toy, it VERY EASILY tips over when he tries to stand up. I've had to remove the legs to make this safe for baby to play with. This is OK I guess, but part of my initial interest was in having a toy that would be safe for him to stand and play with. That said, he really likes all the bug sound effects and this is helpful in developing his fine motor skills.

Chicco Music 'N Play Table