5.0 out of 5 stars Best purchase all year
Published on March 25, 2008 by S. Thompson

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent construction but hurt our backs
Published on March 11, 2010 by J. Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Best purchase all year, March 25, 2008
I purchased this pack online after researching many brands. The price ultimately sold me on this particular back pack and I am SO glad I went with this one! I was kinda expecting a pack that looked "cheaper" than the others because it was so much less. (The other one I was debating upon was $170) Also, the previous reviews made me nervous about how it would fit but they either had big problems figuring out the straps or just never wore a back pack before because I had NO problem with this. I am over 6 feet tall and on the large size for a woman so I usually have issues with things fitting my body size. I have a long torso and this pack actually fits me the way it is supposed to! I also have a chest larger than Pamela Anderson's and I have no problem buckling the chest strap :o) I don't know why the other person had such a problem because I still have room to tighten it as it doesn't even go over my chest but above it. So not only does it fit great but it looks fabulous and really well made! Also, the stand is very easy to collapse and extend. There is no button to push; it simply pushes in or pulls out and is held by tension in the stand arm. My son is 9 months, 25 lbs and about 28 inches tall and he fits great. The first day I had it I took it out on a 2 mile hike and had NO soreness or awkward feelings in my step. I am just so in love with this pack! AND the wind shield is GREAT and not included on many models that are $100 more than this Chicco! The only thing that is lame is the bag on the back of the pack. It's unsafe since anyone could unzip it if you are walking in a crowd and steal your stuff. Not to mention that you can't reach it without taking the pack off but you DO have the option of wearing it as a fanny pack so that's good AND you could use it to store the wind visor thingy when you don't need it. It's really a non-issue but I felt I should include just one con :o) Buy this pack! You won't regret it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chicco Smart - Baby Carrier Backpack, July 4, 2012
Great product for its price.

After reading so many negative reviews regarding the fit and feel of this product I was extremely hesitant to order it. But then I realized that 90% of the U.S. is a bit out of shape and that these products are tailored to the average somehow healthy/fit body (plus/minus a couple of sizes).

So I order it and got it a few days ago.

Bottom line: It is the family's new toy. Keep in mind that I have a 15 & 13 year old kids and between them, my wife and I, we love carrying our 1yr old baby princess.

Keep in mind that I'm 6ft, 200lbs, semi-athletic figure, and have experience with the old style baby carrier from the 1990's (I'm also in the military). In comparison this Chicco is a Cadilac. Perfect fit for the parent and so far, no complaints from the baby; she actually enjoys it more than her walker. My spouse is 5ft, low 100 lbs., son is 5'10", 150lbs, daughter 5ft, 100lbs., and they all enjoy it.

For those of you who have not experienced carrying a baby in a backpack style carrier, remember, you are carrying 20-40lbs on your back. After a few hours, this weight is a bit challenging even for a seasoned soldier. So I suggest taking breaks and/or turns with other family members.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm 4'11" and it fits me just fine, July 22, 2011
Alina (Northwest Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chicco Smart Support Back Pack, Navy (Baby Product)
I have been wanting a backpack carrier for some time - one with a metal stand so it would be easier to get my son in and out of. I finally broke down and bought a new one after not being able to find a used one. I purchased this one because it seemed to be reasonably priced and it got good reviews. I was a little nervous about it since some of the people that were petite said that it didn't fit them and that it was too big. I'm 4'11" and it fits me just fine so I am not sure what they are talking about. I also didn't have any problems with it being too tight in the chest area too and I would say I'm a pretty average size. Some of the reviews said that they need someone else to help them with the metal stand - I have not experienced that either. My son is almost 17 months old and he is about 25 pounds and I can take him off of my back and open up the stand by myself. It takes a bit of practice and some upper body strength but after carrying around a child in my arms for over 16 months I would say that I've built up my strength to handle an extra 5 or 6 pounds that comes from the carrier. Right now I'm just starting off on short walks around the neighborhood - it does take a while to build up your muscles but it is comfortable and works great for me. I love that it comes with the sun shade and the pockets that attach to it as well. Overall I'm happy with my purchase and can't wait to hit the trails and lose this baby weight!

5.0 out of 5 stars We ditched our stroller completely after we bought this, February 26, 2011
Heather (Miamisburg, Ohio, United States) - See all my reviews
We bought this the spring of 2010, after signing our family up for some charity 5k walks/runs. Strollers and wagons, while practical for many uses- take up WAY too much space when participating in these type events so we bought this lightweight frame carrier. After the first walk we decided we'd never go back to a stroller again. I was elated to be able to take our baby WITH us on family hikes instead of having to get a sitter to watch the baby while we took all our other children. I began using this with my daughter when she was 12 months old and she is 20 months now and it has taken the place of the stroller in our van. We don't use a stroller anymore at all- I love that our daughter can see what we see- and get a real birds eye view.

My favorite features:
Lightweight
Sun/weather shield
comfortable straps
cell phone pocket
diaper/wipe pocket on the pack

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality, Practical and Comfortable---Exceeded Expectations, June 24, 2012
Ashley (Cincinnati, Ohio) - See all my reviews
We purchased this for my Father-in-law this year for Father's Day. After doing some research, some cheaper and much more expensive, we decided to go with the Chicco because of it's moderate price point and features. We also have a Chicco infant car seat and were very happy with that. When we received the product, it exceeded my expectations. The fabric, as with other Chicco products, was very high quality. The fabric was durable and thick and felt to be very high quality. The design of the product is very well designed as well, with obvious back support on the backpack, as well as thick straps at the chest and waist. My father-in-law has a history of back problems and was able to carry around my 27 lb. son for about 45 minutes with no issue (or at least no more than you would expect from carrying a toddler around for 45 minutes). The straps to hold the child in feel very secure and roomy and you can adjust them to really get a snug fit. The canopy was ample, but didn't completely cover my son's face some of the time, so I would recommend making sure your child has a good hat or the sun will go right on their face. The stand up feature is a huge benefit. It was nice to be able to open the legs to get my son all strapped in before my father in law picked him up. We actually were even able to use it as a 'high chair' as we stopped to get a snack and didn't have to unbuckle and rebuckle my son to get a snack and a drink. (Though I would watch out because some snacks got trapped all over the back pack). At 16 months, this still worked because my son wasn't quite tall enough to reach his legs. I'd say he definitely has another 18 months to grow into the use of this pack before it becomes to much. I would say the only minor issue is once you have the child in, it can be a little tricky to get the pack on and off. A second person to help definitely makes this process safer. If you're planning to hike alone, this may be a consideration, but otherwise I would say it's a non-issue. Overall, we're very pleased with this purchase. I know that my father in law will use it quite a bit and it is such high quality that it will withstand multiple grandchildren (as well as being lent out to other friends for trips)!

One add that I would suggest getting is the Chums RearView Mirror. It is a little mirror about the size of a silver dollar on a carabeener with a retractable cord. There is a spot on the front of the backpack to attach it and it is useful to see what the little one is doing behind you. My father in law said this was a lifesaver because otherwise he couldn't see how my son was feeling/doing.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 11 month old loves it., June 18, 2006
jcat (richmond, mi) - See all my reviews
I bought this backpack about a month ago and was unsure how much use I would get out of it. We use it all the time. My son almost always falls asleep in it he is so comfortable. It doesn't bother my back or shoulders at all. There is a pouch on the backpack but it isn't too big, not that it has caused us a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pack!, March 5, 2011
I looked at many packs before deciding on this one. I was hesitant at frist due to some of the reviews saying it was uncomfortable. Well it was at first. Then I adjusted ALL the straps while wearing it of course, including the shoulder straps and now it fits perfectly. Snug against my torso just like a regular hiking pack.

Love all the little accessories, too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, April 24, 2010
I gave it a 4 of 5. I like it its comfy and affordable. The only thing is the top strap is made to ride very high on your chest and if you connect both the top chest strap and also the lower waist strap, it will reveal all of your fatness. Which is why on the picture of the product, a very, very skinny guy has the backpack strapped on. The good news for the rest of us out there is that you don't even need to strap either of these on. I use it just like a regular backpack and it works out fantastic!! The reason it wasn't 5 of 5 was the inability to move the chest strap up or down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, Great pack!! I can wear this for hours comfortably!, March 12, 2010
I read many reviews on many products and this one really stands up to it's great reviews! You really do get the best of both worlds here! A great pack for less than $100 dollars, you can't beat that! I go hiking in the mountains, on trails, and walking through the city with this on and my little one (20 lb., 9 month old son) just kicking back inside, snug as a bug! He loves this so much that he even falls asleep in it! The padding on the shoulders and waist are generous and comfy. Of course, if you aren't used to wearing your child on your back, give it two weeks on daily use and you won't feel the stiffness sometimes associated with heavy packs, kind of a "training" period for your muscles so to speak. I found this pack to be very comfortable and I have used the zipper rain shield (because I live in the Pacific NW, and if you want to go outside, you just endure the rain) and the rain shield does work nicely, plus my little one can't pull my hair! ;) With that said, the seat adjusts nicely and the harness also adjusts nicely so your little one can have a safe and comfy ride. I have nothing to complain about with this pack! Cheers to all who purchase it!Chicco Smart Support Backpack, Red

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent construction but hurt our backs, March 11, 2010
The backpack itself is fine, decent construction, fairly lightweight, and easy to use. However it hurt both mine and my wife's backs rather quickly. I'm 6'4" and it just sat too high on my back and caused me back pain after only a few hundreds yards of walking. My wife is 5'5" and she also felt that it was too high on her back and with the baby in the backpack it hurt her back immediately. The quality of the product was fine, but I feel it was made for very short people.

Chicco Smart Support Back Pack, Navy