5.0 out of 5 stars I'm 4'11" and it fits me just fine

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm 4'11" and it fits me just fine, July 22, 2011
Alina (Northwest Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chicco Smart Support Back Pack, Navy (Baby Product)
I have been wanting a backpack carrier for some time - one with a metal stand so it would be easier to get my son in and out of. I finally broke down and bought a new one after not being able to find a used one. I purchased this one because it seemed to be reasonably priced and it got good reviews. I was a little nervous about it since some of the people that were petite said that it didn't fit them and that it was too big. I'm 4'11" and it fits me just fine so I am not sure what they are talking about. I also didn't have any problems with it being too tight in the chest area too and I would say I'm a pretty average size. Some of the reviews said that they need someone else to help them with the metal stand - I have not experienced that either. My son is almost 17 months old and he is about 25 pounds and I can take him off of my back and open up the stand by myself. It takes a bit of practice and some upper body strength but after carrying around a child in my arms for over 16 months I would say that I've built up my strength to handle an extra 5 or 6 pounds that comes from the carrier. Right now I'm just starting off on short walks around the neighborhood - it does take a while to build up your muscles but it is comfortable and works great for me. I love that it comes with the sun shade and the pockets that attach to it as well. Overall I'm happy with my purchase and can't wait to hit the trails and lose this baby weight!

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfy enough, February 11, 2010
This review is from: Chicco Smart Support Back Pack, Navy (Baby Product)
I have not taken my daughter on any serious hikes yet but I plan on using it on vacation to Thailand. So far she seems to like it and I mostly use it to walk my stairs for exercise, or walking to the grocery store. She has not had to be in it for long period so I can't say how much we are going to like it beyond our short jaunts. What I can say is I dislike the position of the strap adjusting buckle. It rubs right on the delicate skin on the inside of my arm. I think I will have to create a sleeve of soft material to cover the strap so when I arm rubs it will not feel so abrasive. Other then that I love where it sits on my body and I can carry my daughter with ease. Another reviewer had said that it is hard to close the stabilizing leg but I don't have that problem, there is a piece of cloth that runs between the many frame and the stabilizer leg which you can gentle tug on and the leg folds in easily. The leg also seems to be spring loaded so opening it is just as easy, just a little flick outward and it pops open. I am interested to see how it will work for us while on safaris, mountain treks, and all the other things we will do in the 100+ weather of Thailand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great backpack, February 26, 2011
This review is from: Chicco Smart Support Back Pack, Navy (Baby Product)
We love to geocache and overall this is a great backpack that is comfortable for both my son and husband. We only have a couple of complaints.
1. The breast strap is not adjustable and ends up going across my husbands throat
2. The canopy can't be removed
3. It's a little tricky getting our son buckled in

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for around the house, March 7, 2014
Charles Mc2 (Lorena, TX, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chicco Smart Support Back Pack, Navy (Baby Product)
I'm the 63 year old grandpa, but I bought it because it reminded me of a similar but more basic back pack we bought years ago (30+ years ago) that is! Our son loved to ride in the old unit--he could see what was going on around him. I especially recall one evening when he was about 2 when I was coloring Easter eggs for a church/community egg hunt. He leaned around and was fascinated while I dyed dozens of eggs one or two at a time. Fast forward to today. I chose this unit because it allows our grandson to look out and see. Both our sons and our daughter have purchased the Deuter units that are great for backpacking style hikes, but not so efficient for letting baby participate in what it is you are doing.

My suggestion is to buy one of the backpacking style items if you are planning mainly on hikes, say several hours. Consider one of these if you plan for shorter trips closer to home. Our grandson is 22 lb or so (10 kg) and I found this comfortable on a one mile neighborhood stroll.

The major difficulty I see is that grandpa finds it quite difficult to fasten the harness because the straps fasten low down and it is difficult to reach down into the carrier past the child to jab the buckle into its home. Likewise for unfastening. If this were not so difficult I'd probably go 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good item for the price, October 7, 2011
This review is from: Chicco Smart Support Back Pack, Navy (Baby Product)
I have been happy with this item. My kid doesn't love it, because he's always rather be running wild. But he doesn't complain about this backpack. He is comfortable in it. We've been able to enjoy hiking again because he will actually sit in this one. We've tried others where he just complains and wants out. He is happy in this one.

It is a little small for me, 6'1" guy. But the straps are adjustable enough that we've made it work. For the amount we actually use it, it has been great for us. We couldn't justify spending a lot of money on this because we wouldn't use it too often. But it's very handy to have when it's needed, and we have been happy with it for what we paid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, November 4, 2013
This review is from: Chicco Smart Support Back Pack, Navy (Baby Product)
This was great for hiking, walking, etc. with my daughter. Easy to use and adjust, it is actually pretty comfortable to wear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome quality for the price!, August 3, 2013
This review is from: Chicco Smart Support Back Pack, Navy (Baby Product)
Daughter loves this pack. Husband likes this pack. I love this pack. Very easy to switch out users when one gets tired of carrying her on a hike.
Husband's only concern is that his back will hurt after a while -- he has had some issues getting the waist strap adjusted correctly. Other than that, the quality is fantastic for the price. Looking forward to many more years of use out of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Would buy again in a heartbeat..., November 22, 2011
This review is from: Chicco Smart Support Back Pack, Navy (Baby Product)
So I find myself only writing reviews for products that I don't think we could live without. The Chicco Smart Support backpack is definitely one of those items. We are currently traveling in strange places (for instance, we're currently in Uzbekistan). But even in Europe, sidewalks and elevators are not the norm. So we needed something to carry our baby (currently 10 months). We got both this and the Ergo. Everyone said the Ergo was a lifesaver... well, our son definitely prefers the Chicco. He can peer over the side or our shoulder and watch everything. He even takes naps in it (like for an hour!). My husband likes using it for the convenience factor and likes the lowerback support. I have used it only a few times and it is comfortable but it is definitely heavier than the Ergo and made for someone taller than 5'5. We would buy this pack over the Ergo any day...

5.0 out of 5 stars life saver, August 9, 2010
This review is from: Chicco Smart Support Back Pack, Navy (Baby Product)
This pack was a life saver. My family recently took a hiking vacation. Without this pack we would've had to carry my son the entire time. He loved riding in it. It was like his very own little thrown. The fact that it stands on it's own was a huge plus. No balancing act was required to get him in or out of it. Putting it on was a cinch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good pack, fairly confy if you put on properly, May 10, 2010
This review is from: Chicco Smart Support Back Pack, Navy (Baby Product)
I wasn't wearing this pack right the first two times but my husband who has a lot of experience with mountaineering and using heavy metal frame packs showed me how to wear it and it's much better now. The waist strap needs to be low right above your hips and the plastic bar needs to sit right above your butt or tailbone. This puts more of the weight on your hips and less on the shoulders. So much better! It does not tell you how to wear it in the instructions. My 1yr old really likes it. it's like a little seat she gets secured in and she falls right to sleep. The sun shade is ok, I wish it was a little longer on top but the rain fly is good. Easy to use and seems like it will last a long time. It's not terribly comfy to have 26lbs on your back anyway but at least I can get out & walk the dog too with the babe for about 30min or so. And im 5'6 and 120lbs.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›