Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 17, 2007
I was really excited to read this book, and the stories are pretty neat, but I was completely bummed that there's not one single picture of a tattoo included! At the end of every story, I wanted to see how that chick's tat turned out...and had nothing to look at. Neat concept, but really lacking.
on May 19, 2007
I have to admit-this was more interesting than I thought it would be. You see, being a mother we have and WANT to be included in the realm of our children's interests no matter how far off the wall they may seem (as long as it's legal of course) I do not have any tattoos and although I'm old enough to know NEVER SAY NEVER I don't have any plans on getting one. I read 1-2 stories a day in-between my busy schedule and now I find myself talking with the young girls I work with about THEIR's and they all DO have a story and meaning behind what they chose to have inked on them permanently. I never would have thought of that BEFORE reading the book. Realizing this opens a door for conversation with someone that maybe would not have been there before. I do recommend reading it-yes I would have liked to see some pictures too, but maybe the publishers will oblige with the NEXT book by this editor, my daughter.
on July 23, 2012
After being abysmally disappointed with another book that was supposed to be about other people's tattoo stories, I was pleased to get exactly that with this book (and bonus, they're all about women). It only took me a couple of hours to read all 40 stories; they were very short. I did admittedly skim through a couple of stories that failed to capture my attention or heart.

To me, I felt that this book focused a little too much on the "what" (tattoo design, placement, color, size) and not enough on the "why". Even the ones that did go into the thinking behind the tattoos did little to trigger much of a visceral response from me. I think the goal of this book was more to explore how other people perceive women with tattoos as opposed to what the women themselves thought. So, my gripe may be a little unfounded.

Most of the contributors to this book have a background in writing, so for the most part the stories were fairly well-written, just a little too straightforward and factual for my liking. There were a couple of brilliant phrases I was able to pick out, though, and that made it all the more enjoyable.

The Kindle edition, which is how I read this book, was likely an afterthought, because the formatting placed snippets that probably looked just fine in print into awkward places in the e-text. I got the Kindle sample first, which only contained one page of the actual content and didn't do much to persuade me to spend the $10 on it, which is at the high end for Kindle, and highly overpriced for a book of this nature. If I hadn't had an Amazon gift credit, I would not have bought this book based on the sticker shock and ineffective sample, despite the fact that I really wanted to find a book about women and their tattoos.

I still enjoyed reading about these women. It's worth reading, but be warned that the Kindle edition isn't greatly formatted and is pricy as far as Kindle books go. The last story in the collection was my favorite, so I was happy to end it on a high note.

Kelly I. Hitchcock
Author of The Redheaded Stepchild
on October 14, 2008
This book is a wonderful collection of stories from real, everyday women who have ink and are not freaks for it. It gives voice to those who proudly carry ink, even if we sometimes have to cover it to maintain propriety in an office setting. It even helps those who are not inked and have preconceived notions about inked women understand where we are comming from.
I have been inked for several years, to the great distress and/or confusion of family and friends. I was the only one in my family to have ink until two months ago, and very few friends of mine have any. I have actually given this book as a gift to family to help them see that it isn't so radical after all.
I have always been interested in tattoos in an anthropological way as well, and this book gives great insight into the "why" so many different women get inked, and why they have no shame in their art. It shows how very false the taboos surrounding women and tattoos are.
on February 21, 2007
Though I may be a little biased, as I have a story in this myself, I LOVED reading everyone else's experiences.

It's a must read for anyone from a serious body art collector, to those who think that tattoos are the devil himself. It will open a lot of eyes, and make you think next time you come across someone with ink!
on March 16, 2007
This book was great! It helped me figure out where i wanted to go to get my first tattoo...i actually found the place through this book. It was great reading about other women allll shapes, sizes, ages, backgrounds getting tattoos and what they meant to that person. So glad I bought this book.
on May 27, 2008
i was hoping to see some pics of ink to go with the stories. the stories are great, but with pics? would have been perfect. i'm in generous mood today, so i gave it 4 stars, when it should only get 3.
on March 20, 2008
I picked this up at the library and was unimpressed. The boring, overemotional and vapid stories in this book about why these women chose their tattoos were embarrassing to read. As I read, I thought that the sort of cloying, juvenile pseudo-significance these "chicks" attached to the ink they chose to have injected into their skin is why men often have a hard time taking women seriously and why Generation X appears to older folks as a bunch of idiots with too much disposable income.

There is one story in the book about one of these women--no doubt a caucasian--getting the Japanese letters for "transience" tattooed into her skin essentially because she had a degree in Japanese Studies and because she had some rudimentary grasp on the "cosmic" concept of impermanence. The ironic humor of the story is multi-layered and, I'm sure, completely lost on the writer.

Is anyone else tired of all these books where someone calls for "submissions" and then compiles them? This one is one of the worst I've read.
77 comments|3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse