Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

Format: Board book|Change

on June 22, 2010
I actually found this at a book store, I was walking by and I almost screamed with delight! My daughter who is 9 months LOVES this book- we have the paper back and a small board book which doesn't have the whole story (boooo). Anyways I bought Two copies of this!! It is a huge full sized board book with THE WHOLE STORY!!! Awesome! This book is made to last! If your child loves this book I suggest the board book- it's perfect for little ones and its VERY durable!
66 comments|138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2015
I first heard of this book when a mom was reading to her child out loud. My husband and I thought, what a weird book about coconut trees and alphabets. We thought she made it up.

Enter baby and when we shopped for books this was a bestseller. We bought it and couldn't believe that was the story the mom recited! To my surprise, it was the only book that held my newborns attention. To this day -- now 6 months -- she is still captivated by the book images and rhythm. Favorite book for baby!
review image
on August 11, 2004
This CD-ROM is a great companion to the book. It reads the book and puts the story into song/rap. It features a read-aloud by Ray Charles. It also has other games that help kids with alphabet recognition. I am a kindergarten teacher and have used this in my classroom with much success. It is very user-friendly for little ones and they absolutely love it!
on October 22, 2015
The book itself, content-wise, is great. It was a book I enjoyed myself as a child. I would recommend it for the content.

I wanted to get this book as part of a gift for a friend's baby. When the book arrived, it was scratched up on the corners. I was disappointed.. I did not include it as part of the gift because it looked used.
review image
on June 23, 2011
An excellent book that I haven't gotten tired of reading over and over again to my almost two year old. I would just like to reiterate what another reviewer stated: the "Lap Edition" is a larger sized board book, around 8.5" x 11", with very durable pages, and it includes the entire story, i.e. both trips up the tree. At my daughter's nursery school they have a smaller board book version which does not include the entire story, only the first half.
VINE VOICEon March 20, 2015
This is one of my wife's favorite books to read to our two girls (they love it too). The only copy we had was in a big anthology of children's stories, so I purchased this copy to have a version that's a bit easier to read, and I'm so glad I did.

Some of the board books we've purchased in the past have turned out to be abridged versions of the book, and I was concerned this one would be too (especially for less than $5) since one other reviewer mentioned she'd seen an abridged version of the board book. The one we got from amazon, though, is the full book.

Our anthology has two two-page spreads on each page, which is great for fitting a lot of kids' stories into one book, but somewhat reduces the visual impact of the book. The board book, though, features color illustrations that go right to the edge of the page. I was surprised to see how much more impactful the illustrations are when presented this way.
on April 13, 2013
I am a veteran teacher with an MT in early elementary education. This was one of my favorite books to help my Kindergarteners learn their ABC's.

I was ecstatic to see that it came in board book form for my 2 1/2 year old.

I had already taught my boy the uppercase letters. This book and this book alone taught him all of the LOWERCASE letters!

He asks for this book every night!

If you are struggling to teach your toddler their ABC's, get this book! It will do all the work for you I guarantee it!
on January 4, 2016
One of my 2 year old's favorite books. I initially resisted, because I found it annoying to read, but he is so enchanted by the rhymes and the colors that it's hard to say no. And there's something really adorable about hearing him say "boom, boom!"

One of his favorite parts is the alphabet at the end of the book - it was his first introduction to letters, and he still loves to point while we sing the ABCs!
on August 21, 2014
Oh, I love this book. My 3 month old and I read everyday and he loves it!! Every time I go chicka chick boom boom he raises his hands up in down in excitement and laughs. Its the cutest sweetest thing ever. Of course I am basis to my son! As a parent I love this book and it never gets old reading it I even have it memorized. I was told about this book through some friends and I am so glad I got it. It introduces your little one to the alphabet in a really fun way. The alphabet is also repeated twice in the book, and you can go through all the letters at the end of the book. This is a book that is great for a baby that your reading to because of the rhythms, vibrant colors, and sounds. I can also see this as a great book for a LO learning to read. The words are easy, and easily memorized. The sounds in the book also help a child learn how to say certain sounds. Like skit, skat, skoodle, doot. Flip, Flop, Flee.... I started reading this one to my LO at 2 months and still our favorite.
on April 8, 2016
This story is a classic for going over the alphabet and was one of my favorites as a child. I love that it comes in board book form now so it is more durable with little hands and mouths. I purchased this as a gift to go with a baby shower gift and I know the mom-to-be will love it as much as I do.