Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (Chicka Chicka Book, A)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Board book|Change

on June 22, 2010
I actually found this at a book store, I was walking by and I almost screamed with delight! My daughter who is 9 months LOVES this book- we have the paper back and a small board book which doesn't have the whole story (boooo). Anyways I bought Two copies of this!! It is a huge full sized board book with THE WHOLE STORY!!! Awesome! This book is made to last! If your child loves this book I suggest the board book- it's perfect for little ones and its VERY durable!
66 comments|141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
A word of warning. If you haven't a rhythmic bone in your body, you'd best not be reading "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" anytime soon. This book is arguably the best known alphabet book on the market today. Telling a tale of alphabetic foolhardiness, a troop of lower case letters (all of them, in fact) go bounding up the nearby coconut tree for a variety of reasons. When the tree can no longer support their weight the little letters find themselves splayed out on the ground. Fortunately the big letters come along to comfort the little ones, though it's obvious by the end that not all have learned their lesson.
Verses of the letters' exploits are intermixed with chants like so;
"Chicka chick boom boom!
Will there be enough room?
Here comes H
Up the coconut tree"
The text has a nice rhythmic quality to it. A kind of onomatopoetic elegance. And the illustrations, while not particularly stunning, fulfill their purpose excellently. It's a good read-aloud story for kids learning their alphabet, and would fit into any storytime excellently. A fun feisty book.
0Comment|173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2005
Hey, I am a fifth grader and I have a reading buddy who is a second grader! And this IS his favorite book!
on April 30, 2015
I first heard of this book when a mom was reading to her child out loud. My husband and I thought, what a weird book about coconut trees and alphabets. We thought she made it up.

Enter baby and when we shopped for books this was a bestseller. We bought it and couldn't believe that was the story the mom recited! To my surprise, it was the only book that held my newborns attention. To this day -- now 6 months -- she is still captivated by the book images and rhythm. Favorite book for baby!
review image
on January 21, 2002
This is hands down the best book for children age 3 and under that I have ever encountered (and we have over 1,000 children's books in our home!). I began reading it to my oldest child when she was 2 months old, and by 16 months, she could recite the alphabet AND identify all 26 letters of the alphabet-- upper AND lower case! I give most of the credit to this wonderful book (but keep in mind, we read it EVERYDAY, often times, several times a day!) My youngest child picks this book out of the shelf first and foremost. He is only 13 months old, but he absolutely loves this book and prefers it over most toys. Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault have more than a classic here, not to mention the great illustrations by Lois Ehlert. If you're looking for the perfect book to teach your children the alphabet or you just simply want an entertaining book that is sure to be a hit, look no further. This is it!
0Comment|100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2005
My daycare kids by far favorite. There is a scream of glee when they see it. I give it as a Christmas present to all my daycare kids. Daycare parents tell me the kids read it to them. It's a fun read.
If you want to board book it's called Chicka Chicka ABC -- by Jr, Bill Martin. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is paper back. : )
on August 11, 2004
This CD-ROM is a great companion to the book. It reads the book and puts the story into song/rap. It features a read-aloud by Ray Charles. It also has other games that help kids with alphabet recognition. I am a kindergarten teacher and have used this in my classroom with much success. It is very user-friendly for little ones and they absolutely love it!
on August 3, 2003
I enjoyed this book so much, I am purchasing the board book version of it. It is one of the few books I have read to my daughter and day care children that totally drew them in from the second line. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a daring yet impish race of the small alphabet letters up to the top of a coconut tree with vivid artwork on every page. When the tree is weighed down with all the letters, it bends and the child-like letters fall down to be picked up by the large letters described as the mamas and the papas and the uncles and the aunts. Theya re all gathered up and put to bed when all the sudden out comes little a again..and the fun starts again. It is so fun to read for the adults too. What a great way to show the relationship betwen large and small alphabet letters! We even started a game with me saying, "Chicka chicka?" and them cheering back, "BOOM BOOM!"
The author captures the tone of children at play, keeps a rhythm that is easy to follow, and provides a warm sunny way for children to remember the alphabet. It is well worth the money and I will look for more offerings from the author in the future. I also used it as a tool for homeschooling my daughter who has just turned 4. After the purchase and use of this book, she can easily recognize all letters large and small which makes it so much easier when you work on phonics and early reading. The book made it FUN and that is what I liked the most.
Get this book!!! It's educational, affordable, and fun!
on October 22, 2015
The book itself, content-wise, is great. It was a book I enjoyed myself as a child. I would recommend it for the content.

I wanted to get this book as part of a gift for a friend's baby. When the book arrived, it was scratched up on the corners. I was disappointed.. I did not include it as part of the gift because it looked used.
review image
on February 20, 2000
Chicka Chicka boom boom is a great book when teaching a child the letters and order of the alphabet. This book is full of vibrant color and, exciting rhyming words. The first time I read this book was when a three year old I was Nannying for at the time told me she could read the book to me. As I sat next to her and read the book silently as she was reciting the book to me almost word for word, I realized yes she did inded know this book. NO, she was not reading the workds, but she new the oder of the alphabet and had been the read the book enough times to be able to recite the book. The book was well written and the illustrations also help to express the plot of the story.