5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book!
Before you begin to read this book, make sure you read the introduction by Joan Lunden. If you are a current caregiver or know you will be one in the near future, her experiences with her mother and the sharing of her experiences will help you find peace in the journey you are or will be experiencing.

I am going to share just two of the stories with you. All of...
Published on April 19, 2012 by Dad of Divas

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a fan
Joan Lunden is just trying to get people to buy her book and use the services of the group she represents.
I'm so glad you are making money off your mom. With the rest of us could instead of being forced to lose everything!
Published 16 months ago by Exhausted

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book!, April 19, 2012
This review is from: Chicken Soup for the Soul: Family Caregivers: 101 Stories of Love, Sacrifice, and Bonding (Paperback)

I am going to share just two of the stories with you. All of these stories were told by real individuals of their journeys as caregivers.

The first one is called "Love Unconditionally with No Guarantees" . This true story was written by Sharon Babineau who became a caregiver for her husband who was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease and her daughter who died of cancer at the age of 15. Her story is one of unconditional love, cherishing each moment of life and being fearless. Sharon is an amazing woman who I would love to meet and have as a friend.

The next selection is called "Changing My Expectations". It is written by Kathleen H. Wheeler. Kathleen's story is about the challenges she faced as her mother's Alzheimer's progressed. She realized as her mother's physical being deteriorated and she needed more care, that her expectations for her mother's abilities to do things had to change. She had to find ways to be with her mother and do things with and for her that met the stage her mother was in at the time of her visit. When you read this it may help you to find peace in the small activities you can do with your loved one that ultimately will bring you joy and maybe them too.

Each story in this book holds possible answers for those of us who will be caregivers. You never know when you will be called upon to help with a family member. To know others have had similar situations and are able to find the love and compassion needed too, should give us all the hope we need to face the challenges we may encounter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a Warm Cup of Soup on a Cold Day, February 14, 2013
After finding myself caring for several family members in varying degrees of responsibility I found myself worn down and exhausted. Someone walking a similar walk as me recommended this book. Written like other Chicken Soup for the Soul books, reading a couple of stories a day seems to remind me that I am not alone in my feelings and gives me the strength to continue to take life one day at a time. Joan Lunden's own story and advice from experience alone is worth the price of this book. In the few short weeks I have had my book, I have given others away and recommended it to anyone who mentions their own struggles with daily caregiving of family members.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, June 23, 2012
I absolutely love this book!! My 2 sisters and I share responsibility of helping care for our 80 year old mom who has cancer. The short stories in this book are very insightful and have hit on several things that family caregivers go through and encounter on a daily basis. I would highly recommend to anyone who is a family caregiver.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite in the Chicken Soup Series, March 13, 2012
"Caregivers" is my favorite of the Chicken Soup offerings because it includes details on how to make life easier for the person taking care of a friend or family member. The stories are beautifully written, and the poetry is lovely. My favorite chapter is p. 405, "The Clock Shoe," by the highly-regarded poet Sandra Berris.

4.0 out of 5 stars Help for caregivers to care for themselves, too?, October 9, 2013
I know the world of caregiving from personal experience with my husband, who died of ALS. What I'd like to know from others who have read this book is, is it appropriate for my 87 year old mother who is caring for my 90 year old father with dementia. She does not need encouragement to be generous and accepting. She needs encouragement to take care of HERSELF while caregiving! She is so self-sacrificing (like so many women of her generation) that I fear she is destroying her own health to provide such great care for my dad. Does anyone out there know of books that help caregivers care for themselves?

Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lifesaver for My Mother, August 18, 2013
My mother is currently living with and caring for her 11-year-old son, her adult son, her adult son's girlfriend, her premature grandson and her dying mother. To say she is a little overwhelmed is an understantement! I bought her this book and some other items as a "caretaker care package" since I live in another state and am unable to help her on a daily basis. She said that this book, in particular, really helped her put things into perspective and gave her renewed strength and comfort. She reads a story or two before bed every night, and more on days that are really hard, and it helps her to face the morning.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chicken Soup for the Soul: Family Caregivers - book, August 1, 2012
The need to start being a caregiver for a family member who is ninety and does not want a caregiver is a rough new experience. I have only read parts of the book, but what I have read has provided me with wonderful examples of how this can work in families with home care or more care when the need presents itself. It can be rewarding for both the person receiving the care as well as the caregiver. The book talks about caring for family members with special needs of any age, not just the elderly.

I found it to be uplifting and supportive and I would recommend it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a must read!, November 5, 2013
This book helped our family take a different perspective in dealing with our aging family members. Dementia is very emotionally draining for the care giver but this book brings a sense of peace and understanding with good tips and advice. Who would thought there would be a chapter on humer, but it made me laugh out loud. I will share this book many times over!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the Soul!, February 5, 2013
Everytime I read a story, I make sure I have a box of kleenex nearby! The stories are heartwarming and enlightening. The book is written very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL: Family Caregivers, July 7, 2012
Though I am a huge fan of the Chicken Soup for the Soul series, there are few books in it that have resonated with me as much as this one. As someone who has the privilege of caring for my grandmother, I was able to read this book and realize what an honor it is to be there for those who were so much a part of the shaping of the man I have become.

We are able to read stories of those in the public eye and the difficult choices they had to make in order to care for their loved ones. There are also the powerful accounts of people like you and me who were willing to do whatever they could to help those they loved, even when things weren't as easy as they would have liked. In some cases it was the caring for a parent or sibling, but in other accounts there were the spouses that needed that extra hand because of a disease or unforeseen circumstances.

Regardless of what led to the need to fill the role of a caregiver, the book let's us see that we shouldn't feel as though everything will work out perfectly, because it won't. What we should try to do is be their for them in whatever way we can, understanding our limitations but never giving in to the tendency of blaming them for the situation.

This is one that the whole family can benefit from and that all of us in one form or another will need. Get it now and let the education and inspiration begin!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›