Chickenfoot
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$11.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
These guys don't need introductions, so I'll just say this: 1) At 61, Sammy sounds as good as he ever has; 2) Anyone who didn't think Satriani could play in a band... wrong: he fits in perfectly; 3) Chad Smith ain't JUST a funk drummer; 4) Van Halen's gonna regret firing Mike Anthony. These guys have hit on a cohesiveness that most bands take years to develop -- and they sound like they've been playing together for years. If you like guitar-driven rock, buy Chickenfoot. If you like the kind of driving music you can turn up to 11, buy Chickenfoot. If you're not one of those Roth loyalists still stuck in 1984, buy Chickenfoot. This album is excellent from start to finish.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 10, 2009
Format: Audio CD
Having read several reviews on this site, I have decided to add my own observations concerning the phenomenon known as "Footfest". It seems that most of the critical reviews of Chickenfoot come from those who are either highly trained musicians looking for "shock and awe", critics who have analyzed the music to death, and die hard DLR VH fans who never cared much for SH anyway. They most likely claim lack of technique, uninteresting song structure, or some other complaint as the reason for thier low opinion of Chickenfoot.

To these individuals I would offer this: let us not forget that the #1 litmus test of a rock album is: DOES IT ROCK? IS IT FUN TO LISTEN TO? DOES IT CARRY YOU AWAY FROM YOUR DAY TO DAY CONCERNS? Sure I like my prog-rock like the next guy but folks - this is the type of rock and roll that a lot of us have missed for quite some time with the semipermanent hiatus of EVH. And with that in mind I must say that Chickenfoot has accomplished something very special. As for Led Zep good I wouldn't go that far yet but time will eventually tell how great this debut is. For now though I am head over feet grateful that these guys got together and did this.

The music reflects the chemistry between Satriani, Hagar, Anthony, and Smith. As I listened to each track I do acknowledge and welcome the classic VH2 vocals, but I do not think it sounds like VH. I have never heard EVH use some of the darker elements as Satriani does. And I sure have never heard Michael Anthony's bass lines like this and whadayaknow? He's a pretty good bassist! His rhythm section counterpart Chad Smith is tight and crisp and at times even Bonhamesque.You can tell that these four guys really enjoy each others company and most likely care about each other. And isn't that an important part of wanting to be in a band in the first place? It certainly shows in the music. There isn't really a bad track in the bunch. No filler. Each song is a fun, toe tapping, head bobbing, rocking good time! And isn't that what it's really about? The chops are there...the technique is there... but they are played to suite the structure of each song. And that is testament to the 4 musicians who have given us the disk of the summer! Good luck EVH! I do have some hope that Chickenfoot will motivate you and DLR but I'm not holding my breath...not for anything this good at least. You have too much bitterness. Too much denial. Too much ego. Frankly I think you are finished...I mean how could you let Mikey go? You're...
running out of time
running out of tunes
running out of blame
running out!!!
running out!!!
running out!!!!

WELL DONE - LONG LIVE THE FOOT!!!!!
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 6, 2009
Format: MP3 Music
Here's a case where the whole ends up being greater than the sum of the parts and that's saying something considering the parts. If you wore out your 5150 casette and prided yourself on rocking to one of Joe's instrumentals you won't be disapointed. The guys are having fun and the lyrics and music reflect that. As you listen to the album, each member clearly has his own moments but none seem extraneous, they are always within the context of the song. A great rock album.
on January 10, 2010
Format: Audio CD
I was skeptical about this CD and only recently purchased it when the Delux package was $13.99 at Bestbuy. I put this in the CD player of my car, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. This isn't some rehash of a Sammy Hagar solo album or left over Van Halen ideas. This is something new, fresh, a tour-de-force to my ears. Sammy sounds great, Joe Satrani is amazing [as always], Michael Anthony is finally able to be in a band where he can show off his talents, and Chad Smith is a great time keeper. I'm not sure what else I can add that the other comments have not already stated other than BUY THIS NOW!!!!!!!!!
on October 12, 2009
Format: Audio CD
I'm not sure if I like Chickenfoot because it appeals to my sense of 80s rock nostalgia or because of its aesthetic. This became one of my summer addictions, perhaps because it reminded me of the time of my life when driving around in the Texas heat to the soundtrack of "5150" and "Surfing with the Alien" put the "free" in "free time." Conversely, despite harboring clichés that border on corny, the band has a fabulous chemistry, and the performances are absolutely stellar.

First off, Michael Anthony is the secret weapon here. As a vocalist, he has always been overlooked and as a bassist, he has always been overshadowed. He is allowed to shine in both regards in Chickenfoot, and it should be no surprise to anyone that he and Chad Smith lock in like anything less than the professionals that they both are.

Any and all discussion of whether or not Satriani is "too good" for Chickenfoot is silly and irrelevant. For the listener who is aware of Satriani's style, his thumbprint is apparent on virtually every song, and not just in the form of his often blistering solos. Satriani's compositional side saves the day on some of the more clichéd material, with bridges that sometimes border on the orchestral. Many of the tunes boast adventurous harmony masked within simple riffs; harmony that, despite his signature agility as a soloist, Eddie Van Halen would never have dreamt of.

Although I am a supporter of Hagar, I will admit that past a certain point in his career the quality of his material has been sharply divided in quality. One aspect of his material is philosophical, reflective, and often socially conscious. This more passionate side to Sammy is his strength, as is evidenced by the kick-off tune "Avedina Revolution." When Sammy does not have as much to say, however, he plays himself up as a beach-combing tail-chaser. Looking at 60, this latter aspect of his personality does not sell tunes like "My Kinda Girl" well. This is where Chickenfoot's lack of consistency and believability causes them to lose a star. In his defense, though Hagar's singing remains virtually unchanged - he still sounds great.

The Lowdown: This is the epitome of a four-star album for me. There is a lot about it that I like, not the least of which is that it does, actually, rock. With impressive chemistry and Prof. Satriani at the helm, there is little that this group could not do. The material is flawed in many ways, though, and the fact that I like it as much as I do probably indicates that Chickenfoot is more of a guilty pleasure than a musical force - but so what?
on July 29, 2009
Format: Audio CD
The term Supergroup refers to a group that is formed by multiple members that have achieved success in other groups. The 1980s were filled with Supergroups. Probably the most popular of the Supergroups was The Power Station (Robert Palmer, Tony Thompson of Chic, John and Andy Taylor of Duran Duran). Other examples included Mike + The Mechanics, Asia and the Traveling Wilburys. However for all practical purposes, it was The Power Station that put the term Supergroup on the map. Supergroups are formed for many reasons: Supergroups such as The Power Station and The Traveling Wilburys were basically formed to be (originally) one time efforts. Other groups such as Asia were formed following the demise of other bands. And yet others are formed as "side projects". Since the 1980s, Supergroups have taken a back seat. However when Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony found themselves out of Van Halen, they decided to form a new band. Realizing the bar was high to replace Eddie and Alex Van Halen on guitars and drums, Hagar and Anthony went out and recruited two of the top musicians in the industry. The recruits were two artists who are the best of their craft - guitarist Joe Satriani and drummer Chad Smith (of the Red Hot Chili Peppers). The result would be a Supergroup called "Chickenfoot". Not only was this a Supergroup that would live up to expectations, but they would release an self-titled album that could easily qualify for 2009 Album of the Year.

One thing to understand about the album "Chickenfoot" - this is one hard rocking album. This brings back a Hard Rock sound that has been lost for so many years. You definitely hear the Van Halen sound - and in fact at times you will think this is Van Halen. But on top of that "Chickenfoot" does bring their own stamp on things.

There are three points about this album:
1-Van Halen proves they will miss Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony's musicianship. The Van Halen brothers have a lot of talent and own the name, but Hagar and Anthony are simply awesome musicians. Anthony's contributions might not be as easily heard on this collection, but his bass plays a key role throughout each of the tracks.

2-Joe Satriani can Rock - and Rock hard. He might have a reputation for a lot of his jazz-fusion and blues work, but he can also deliver a Hard Rock sound.

3-Chad Smith - clearly the glue that holds this band together. There was a reason why he was selected at "Live Earth" to be in an all-star drum trio with Roger Taylor and Taylor Hawkins - because he is awesome. Chad's thundering drums are heard throughout this album.

Here is a song by song synopsis of the collection:

"Avenida Revolution" - What a great track to kick things off - 6 minutes of blistering Rock. Satriani and Smith immediately show their contributions in the first 30 seconds. Hagar's vocals are perfect.

"Soap on a Rope": I love Satriani's guitar riffs on this one, but it is the blistering jam that Satriani leads at the end that really steals the show.

"Sexy Little Thing": A little bit of an Asian sound kicks this one off. The song then blends a bluesy feel with some hard rock. A perfect example how Chickenfoot puts their own stamp on things.

"Oh Yeah": A little surprise that this was one of the first singles promoted, but this is not a bad one. The chorus gives this song a classic Anthem Rock feel to it. Smith is on fire on the drums on this one.

"Runnin Out": This song while not a "soft" song has a slower tempo than the first four songs. Smith really kicks it into a higher gear midway through the track.

"Get It Up": The tempo kicks right back up. Satriani's guitar riffs with Hagar's vocals give almost a Heavy Metal sound to things. Anthony's bass lays a great foundation on the verses to the song.

"Down the Train": I mean I listen to this track - and it almost sounds like a throwback to the early days of Van Halen. The spoken words at the beginning bring back memories of Van Halen with David Lee Roth, but Hagar soon puts his vocals on making this song his own.

"My Kinda Girl": This is an underrated track. Satriani and Anthony work beautifully together on this one. The chorus also has that "Anthem Rock" feel to it.

"Learning to Fall": This song is the closest thing to a power ballad on the collection. Hagar's vocals are in perfect form on this one and really are the story of this track.

"Turnin Left": Once again after a slower previous track, Chickenfoot cranks it up - and cranks it up high. Satriani's guitar is the highlight of this track. I thought this was the weakest track of the collection - and that's not a knock on this track.

"Future in the Past": What a great track - the perfect wrap-up track. This was my favorite track of the collection. This song almost seemed like a montage of different songs strung together. This is another example of how Chickenfoot puts their own stamp on things. Each of the members of the band work contribute to this track. "Saving the best for last" is a lyric in this song that has meaning. Satriani also has a blistering guitar riff at the end of this one.

Usually I don't prefer a Hard Rock sound, but Chickenfoot does a great job at bringing back good old-fashioned Rock and Roll. This album really should be considered for Best Album when awards are given out at the end of the year. My hope is we see more from this quarter. Overall, I highly recommend this collection.
on June 5, 2009
Format: MP3 Music
Despite some idiot that is trying to convince you not to buy this album, I bought it anyways...I am so glad I did...This is a great Rock And Roll album....With Sammy and Mikey you know just what you are going to get...that is Some kick a** rock...this is no exception...Picking up where For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge left off....Joe is an amazing guitarist who, unlike Eddie Van Halen did not forget how to play some killer licks with great tone....Chad is a solid Drummer.....So I dont understand what that idiot that keeps writing bad reviews is trying to say......I mean , get real man, what was you expecting this band to sound like??? True, these are old men....But these old men can out Rock anyone that is new to the scene....Dont be turned off by some old jealous wannabe who just wants to bring everyone down to his pathetic level....Judge for yourself..you wont be sorry you did.....
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 2, 2010
Format: Audio CD
This band is hilarious. Not because I think it's a mockery or I think they're crap... but because they kick so much a**.

God. Do they ever bring it. This album isn't exactly phenomenal music, but it's more than listenable, and to hear these 4 guys in full motion is a real treat. Satch puts on a show, but doesn't take charge and doesn't do a lot of overdubs. There is plenty of room for Hagar, Anthony (who provides nice backup vocals), and Smith (who, like a lot of drummers, doesn't suffer from being a soft drummer).

Like. Yeah. Just buy. Laugh. Rock.
on June 10, 2009
Format: Audio CD
I confess to being a Van Halen, Hagar, and Satriani fan.

This album is one where, at first listen, made my jaw drop. Several songs harkened back to a time when guitar rock ruled the airwaves. I see some similarities to the Hagar era (mainly Sammy's vocals with Mike singing backup). But that's it. Joe's and Chad's guitar and drumming are completely different, and very refreshing.

Sammy made a drunken comment that this band was like early Led Zeppelin. While this is an unfair comparison, I see Zeppelinesque influences in Chad's drumming and in some of the riffs. A welcome change from what's on the radio today.

Most of the songs (especially Avenida Revolution, Soap on a Rope, Oh Yeah, Get It Up, and Down the Drain jump right out on the first listen. Other songs like Turnin' Left and Future in the Past took a few listens. The power ballad, Learning to Fall, is strongly influenced by Joe's ability to set a mood--I don't think Eddie, as great as he is, could have pulled that off.

One of my criticisms of the some of the Hagar era of Van Halen (and Diver Down and Fair Warning, for that matter) is a few solid songs, and a lot of filler (especially Balance). Another is the inability to hear Mike's bass. Neither of those is the case here.

The Best Buy by me sold completely out the first day, and again today. That tells me that there is still a sector of our population that appreciates guitar rock.

I strongly recommend this CD.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: MP3 MusicVerified Purchase
A classic before it was ever released. There is nothing more exiting to a rock fan than four incredible musicians teaming up to make music for the sheer fun of it. You can hear the fun on every single note of this record. It's hot, it's fast, it's cool, it's funky, it's groovin and frankly it's a hellava fantastic album. Bottom Line....this album is a must have in your collection, especially if you are a true fan of rock, an aspiring musician or just love to have something groovin in the background.

The pairing of Chad Smith and Joe Satriani is the most exciting thing to happen in rock in a long while. The funky groove drummer with the virtuoso shredder. Hearing them together is positively mind boggling. The contrast just fits so well together . The music soars even before you blend in the vocals.

This album for me is a blend between nostalgia and modern rock, but really fun and refreshing because we haven't gotten anything like this in a while. Not too many bands are taking this daring path towards vibey blues funk with a hard rock edge. The mixing of rock styles, while all the rage in young bands, are rarely incorporated in such an eclectic manner.

Hagar does an admirable job on the vocals albeit they are somewhat of an acquired taste, but I have to admit he sounds terrific on these tracks, like Learning to Fall.

Highlights

Learning to Fall-- This is one of those songs, that when it ends, you start it again and again. It takes you to another place that you refuse to leave. Epic, haunting, anthemy, bluesy, all rolled into a great tune. The lyrics although not particularly poetic are honest inspirational and seem very appropriate for this band. The song opens with a chiming melodic rhythm that immediately tugs at your soul. The song continues to build and builds to an even better ending with a great solo and ending rhythm. The last verse hints of the late 70's style of rock.

Turning Left- is like a big 70's flashback. It reminds me of a bit Doobie Brothers, a bit Chili Peppers with a Satch solo. Quite cool. It's funky, fast, groovin' but decidedly modern. As the song opened I wasn't quite prepared for something so funky, but the song just gets into your soul and won't leave.

Get it Up--This song seriously gets you addicted. I wasn't at first, attracted to the opening vocals and in fact I'm not crazy about the incessant "arriba arriba" but I absolutely love the music in this track. At 2 minutes in when the solo kicks in this song is grooving so tight that it blows you away.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...