5.0 out of 5 stars Chihuly at the Blu-Shop!!! Glass blowing at it's finest!!!
Published on January 14, 2009 by Jason P. Pumphrey

2.0 out of 5 stars Annoying background music
It's interesting to watch. Certainly learned a few tidbits. Wouldn't want to spend more than five-buck on this BD. It is at the pace of an energetic midnight infomercial with lots of fanfare and seemingly repetitious themes with not much substance. And the music!!! I had to watch this mostly on mute as the music was too damn annoying and distracting. Didn't miss much...
Published 10 months ago by MH in Ca

5.0 out of 5 stars Chihuly at the Blu-Shop!!! Glass blowing at it's finest!!!, January 14, 2009
Jason P. Pumphrey "the movie & music man" (Falls Church, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Chihuly in the Hotshop (Blu-ray)
Sadly Dale Chihuly does'nt blow much glass works himself anymore,due to a serious car accident,but he does help design some of the coolest looking glass works imaginable,sure he does look kinda likea mixture of Wavy Gravy and a pirate,but he IS hip!!! During this 90 min. program,watch magic being made,via very hot material,see some the best "gaffers"(not the movie type,okay!)make some very beautiful glass works!!! Get this before it goes out of print!!! And it look and sound good on Blu Ray Disc!!! Don't collect glass works myself,but I DO appiciate great art!!! Recommended for fans of Chihuly or just graet art in general!!! Igot this great disc for $9.99 new at find that quite a bargian!!! No extras here,not even sound options,just enjoy it for the great program it contains,and it's Blu Ray to boot!!! A+

5.0 out of 5 stars 1st Class View of Some Extraordinary Glass Blowers...., July 4, 2009
This review is from: Chihuly in the Hotshop (Blu-ray)
I saw the original show on PBS last year, and immediately called all my friends to watch the repeats during the week. When I saw the Blu-Ray on a large screen in a Sony Style store, I had to have the disk myself.

I collect glass, blown and fused, and have made stained glass windows off and on for 30 years. I've watched glass blowing dozens of times, and have friends who are commercial glass artists. Dale Chihuly has never been one of my favorite glass artists, and own none of his designs, but I recognize his design talent and role in the studio movement.

What this video shows is not his technique [since he hasn't blow glass in decades], but his design work with some extraordinary glass artists you rarely see, including William Morris and Lino Tagliapietre, each of whom is a grand master glass blower.

If you want to watch this expecting to learn how to be a glass blower, you will be disappointed - if you want to see how the process of design is carried out into finished work by true experts, this DVD won't disappoint - I just recommend getting the Blu-Ray version, as the colors and sharpness are very good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Video -- Lacks Depth/Detail, November 7, 2008
sharpie (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chihuly in the Hotshop (Blu-ray)
I purchased this Blu-ray because I have always been very interested in glass blowing and glass art. I previously researched Chihuly's work and observed various demonstrations of Chihuly and many other glass artists. I wanted more of that, and this Blu-ray did not disappoint.

The disc is composed of various chapters (I think 10), each focusing on a different glass piece that forms the basis for much of Chihuly's work (i.e., seaforms, machia, persian, baskets, etc.) Each chapter is filmed in the same demonstration auditorium with stadium style seating surrounding a large glass blowing area. I believe this auditorium is in the Museum of Glass in Tacoma, Washington.

The video quality is excellent, with minor imperfections and noise in various places throughout. The audio quality is also great. The soundtrack is comprised of a very strange hodgepodge of mid-90's pop music -- very strange, but mildly entertaining.

I am giving the disc 4 out of 5 stars for one reason. There is simply not enough focus on what the artists are doing. There is very little explanation of the tools and techniques that are being used -- which is what I wanted. Chihuly narrates much of the video, providing a brief history of the particular piece, the people involved in its original creation, and what inspired him to start making them. Then, the rest is just soundtrack with various individuals creating the pieces (Chihuly himself no longer blows glass). There is simply not enough focus on the detail or technique for me. I'm not sure if this information is intentionally withheld as it may reveal Chihuly's secrets, but each segment left me wanting a whole lot more. Maybe I'm too accustomed to shows like How It's Made, which do a great job of explaining what is going on at all steps.

Corresponding with this lack of detail was a lack of actual camera time on the intricacies of the glass. For example, when pieces are finished, there is no final shot of the piece. You simply see the piece transferred into the cooling box and that's it. No final shot or pan around the piece.

All in all, the video feels more like a preview -- it lacks depth and detail. There is a lot more personal stories from Chihuly himself, rather than demonstration and explanation of the glass work. If I could have, I would have rented it and moved along. I don't think I will ever watch the video again for the next 10 years. That said, I still admire the artwork, the video quality of the disc, and substance covered throughout

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE the film, HATE the music!!!, March 18, 2011
This review is from: Chihuly in the Hotshop (PBS) (DVD)
If you have ever heard of Dale Chihuly, you owe it to yourself to get this film! It shows a large number of small sessions where he & his team create the items he has become famous for. The only thing I hated was the "background" music, which was way too intrusive, way too loud, and way too much! I would have loved to hear more dialogue between the craftsmen, or narration, or anything but this annoying music by the tom Tom Club, whoever in the world they are. Sounds like some sort of musical torture session, why the producers used so much and so loud is beyond me.
To top it off, you never know when there is going to be talking by the glass blowers inserted into the music, so if you don't want to miss anything you have to just endure it. But it is still worth the purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars Educational and Fun to Watch thse Glass Masters in Action!, May 23, 2010
Pam D. White "Lover of Fine Writing" (South Carolina, by way of NYC, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chihuly in the Hotshop (PBS) (DVD)
Great PBS special showing Chihuly and his extremely gifted peers and students making all that tremendously beautiful glass art that those of us who know and love Chihuly feel such awe and admiration for. Any true glass art lover will enjoy this educational video which shows the glass blowers at work, from drawing to finished product. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could have been even better, March 5, 2009
This review is from: Chihuly in the Hotshop (PBS) (DVD)
Very interesting journey through the evolution of Chihuly's series / styles.
What is lacking is a tour of each of the finished pieces made during the 1 week residency, nicely displayed in a suitable setting so that the artistry could be best appreciated. Could even have been done as a separate simple slide show of images lasting 5 to 10 minutes as a DVD extra.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerizing!, March 1, 2012
William Berg (Gainesville, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chihuly in the Hotshop (Blu-ray)
I purchased this DVD after seeing Chihuly's works displayed in a number of different venues, being fascinated by them every time. I do a bit of amateur work in glass, and was anxious to see a master at the process. But I was hesitant by so many reviews that argued there was too little explanation provided. This was not my experience at all. Really, every aspect of this was fascinating. Chihuly talks a lot about his work, often doing it as the work is being created. I was amazed to see just how many people are involved in getting a large piece created, and the vivid colors of the work, the blazing furnace, and the workers themselves was to me riveting. And it was fun to see Chihuly himself! Having never see an image of him before he was not at all what I expected. If I'd met him on the street, I'd have guessed he was a bouncer at a local bar, not man with such creative genius. He's a burly, rugged looking man sporting a black eye patch (a result of an injury from past work with hot glass) that suggests more of a pirate background more than a designer of graceful glass. And a his body type just defies imagining him as a great artist until you actually see him at work - then you stop seeing the body image and just start seeing how he oversees and develops his work. The exciting part is seeing just how varied his work has been. This is a DVD I'd highly recommend to anyone with any interest in glass artistry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Educational and interesting, January 9, 2010
This review is from: Chihuly in the Hotshop (PBS) (DVD)
After seeing a large exhibit of Chihuly glass in an art gallery, my husband and I wanted to see how the glass was made. We really enjoyed this video, which answered our questions about the process. My only complaint is that the music was extremely irritating, to the point that I will mute the sound when watching this again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blown glass like you've never seen, September 3, 2014
This review is from: Chihuly in the Hotshop (Blu-ray)
This guy is amazing. He basically does large glass sculptures. This DVD is showing like a week in the life sort of thing. It is well-made. The things he and his team do with glass is so bizarre, and this shows you how they do it. "Hotshop" refers to the fact that they have multiple furnaces going to work the glass at various (high) temperatures. Worth seeing.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring!, May 18, 2014
This review is from: Chihuly in the Hotshop (Blu-ray)
Amazing to watch. It truly takes a team to make the best pieces, as Chihuly explains first. Truly inspirational work. So creative and incredible. And he truly loves sharing with the world, although I know of no one who compares.

Chihuly in the Hotshop
Chihuly in the Hotshop by Dale Chihuly (Blu-ray)
$7.99