Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: A Child Is Missing
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Perfect Paperback|Change

on May 19, 2010
Karen Beaudin's true story of her sister Kathy's brutal rape and murder in A Child is Missing brings me crashing back through four decades of time. A time of innocence that has left a scar on all of us who were growing up in our small New England town. Those of us so close to the Gloddy family truly never knew their pain. Karen's heart wrenching story is a must read for anyone wanting to feel the pain and heartache of the family and how that horrific night changed their lives forever. Written by Karen's childhood friend~Margie Meier
on October 7, 2013
I wasn't living in Franklin, NH when this murder occurred, I knew and grew up with one of the sisters of the victim. A must read for anyone from the area, anyone who is interested in helping find the murderer, anyone who feels a connection with a murder that has never been solved.
on May 6, 2014
A detective friend recommend this book. Heart wrenching - yes, but a powerfully written story of the survivors of an unbelievable family tragedy. The strength of faith and hope leave no doubt of their healing powers. I am so thankful to have read this book and I am looking forward to reading an update of this family.
on April 9, 2012
My one and only sister, Heidi M. Allen, disappeared on April 3, 1994. This is the first book, with the exception of the Bible, to reach the depths of my heart as the sister of a missing person. Although Karen's sister was found -- the tragedy, loss, grief, emotion, and healing are similar. She writes from the heart and shares the honest thoughts and actions of the sister left to live without their beloved sister. Karen shares tidbits of frustration, misinformation, lack of information, and her role in her sister's case over the years. Karen was only a teenager when Kathy was taken, raped, and brutally murdered yet this impacted her life significantly. Karen shares accounts related to the case but it was her faith walk and reliance on Jesus Christ that brought me the most encouragement. I highly recommend this book, especially to the sibling who lost their brother or sister to kidnapping and abuduction. Thank you Karen Beaudin!
on December 12, 2011
A Child Is Missing is a thoughtfully written first-hand account of what it was like for a family to lose a child at the hands of a heartless, cold-blooded monster. The book also accurately describes how it affected their lives in the days, weeks, months and years that followed. In this day and age when it seems to be a daily occurance to read news headlines about children being murdered, it simply wasn't that way in 1971. And it was even less likely that something this horrific could happen in `small town' New Hampshire.
The author, Karen Beaudin takes us on an emotional journey that reveals her thoughts and feelings of when her younger sister Kathy Lynn Gloddy didn't return home one evening in November of 1971. The following day it was announced to her by her family that her little sister had been raped, badly beaten, strangled, and her dead body repeatedly run over with a car. Kathy was only 13 years old. She was left in the cold woods, three miles from her home. Karen recollects the numerous interviews and the botched investigation by the police department. She also writes about subsequent family tragedies including the untimely death of an older brother; her parent's divorce; her father's last days on Earth while battling cancer; and her mother's suicide. It takes a tremendous amount of strength and courage to open up and write a book that is so painful and personal. I can think of no greater loving and enduring tribute to Kathy's short life than the way her big sister, Karen, wrote the family's story in A Child is Missing. This was probably the saddest book I've ever read. I can't reccomend it highly enough. Since this is still considered a cold case file, the sequel that is due next spring or summer will shed even more insight into all the evidence that has and is still gathering to hopefully resolve this case..
on July 27, 2012
This book was more about the author's life and her religious beliefs. Found parts of it rather boring and felt like her religion was being shoved down my throat. Lots of quotes from the bible rather than more about the victim. I assumed it would come to a better conclusion and not just end with a promo about another book.
on June 5, 2016
I couldn't put it down once I started reading! Such a heartbreaking true story of a young girl's horrific rape and murder and a family left to try to deal with the aftermath and search for answers and justice. What Kathy, and her family, endured will have you in tears for sure. But, the faith, courage, and strength they show in trying to heal, search for answers, and seek justice is truly inspirational! A must read as well as the sequel, "A Child Is Missing - Searching For Justice"
on May 6, 2012
For everything they had to go through, for everything they continued to go through and for their loss my heart goes out to this family. I appreciated the author's candor with her feelings especially in regards to how her parents were unable to cope and how hard that must have been for her and her other family members. This is a well written book emotional provoking read. I hope someday they get the answers they need.
on March 26, 2013
This was a wonderful book about a young girl gone missing and what the family went through during the time
The struggles of their life after the losing their sister, daughter. I really felt for this family. I nearly distoryed the
mother and father.
on December 4, 2014
I received the book last night and didn't stop reading until I had read the entire book. I grew up in Franklin and I remember this case very well. It took away the feeling of security and innocence from many children in that city including myself. Karen's book is so vivid and emotional that I credit her faith, her love for her sister and her desire to do what it takes for justice for Kathy and all others for her to be able to write this book. Thank you Karen and I am very much looking forward to the sequel.