4.0 out of 5 stars Cute and unique book for only children and parents
Published on December 20, 2005 by isu94

3.0 out of 5 stars long but cute
Published on December 29, 2009 by A. Skaehill

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute and unique book for only children and parents, December 20, 2005
This review is from: My Only Child, There's No One Like You (Birth Order Books) (Hardcover)
There are so few books that focus on only children FOR only children. This is a keeper. It's a very thoughtful story about an only bear cub and his parents and how it's okay to be an only child and that doesn't make the child weird. The only reason I gave it 4 stars was because the author, while a guru on birth order, may have put too much emphasis on NOT having a sibling, versus the situation just being what it is. In other words, though my husband and I chose to have one child it doesn't mean that we think larger families aren't okay or that having siblings is a negative thing, and I think, VERY subtlely, that message was expressed through the conversations to the only cub.

However, I am very glad to have this book because while he hasn't asked yet, I know eventually there will come a time when my son may wonder why he doesn't have sisters and brothers. I'm hoping the book will be a useful tool in helping him realize that our situation isn't better or worse, it just IS. Only children get unfairly singled out enough, so the nuts and bolts of the story is a positive and much needed one!

3.0 out of 5 stars long but cute, December 29, 2009
This book was really great for us when our son kept asking when we were going to give him a little brother or little sister. Since we can't phsyically have any more children and adoption isn't something we're both ready to jump into, we were struggling to find ways to tell our son that he is all we need. This book really emphasizes that point. That he is special, unique, and all that we need. It's a bit long and the wording could be better in some parts, but overall the message is really clear. We started reading it to him when he was about 4. He's almost 7 now and he still enjoys this book from time to time.

4.0 out of 5 stars For my only child, December 21, 2013
Julie (Wisconsin, United States) - See all my reviews
Even though he is 28 years old, I wanted to let him know how special he is to me . . .and the book hit the nail on the head!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok book for onlies, December 4, 2011
Barbara "bew71" (Front Royal, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
Nice book that doesn't put too much emphasis on how only children are "different". The analogy is pretty weak though; "do you want another dessert" the mama bear asks the full only-child bear who answers "no"! "Why not, isn't more better", "no, one is enough" , "see, sometimes one is just enough" to paraphrase.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Only Child, August 3, 2010
This is another great book by Kevin Leman. He is such a gifted writer, always so funny too! This is a sweet story about a bear who finds out just how special he is, even though he is an only child. Have kleenex handy because it is such an enduring story of the love his parents have for him!

4.0 out of 5 stars very cute, April 29, 2012
LSCTeach (Silver Spring, Maryland) - See all my reviews
Great little picture book. I read this to my class of adults with developmental disabilities, as part of a Psychology class on understanding themselves, their birth order, and sibling rivalry. They really enjoyed it.

My Only Child, There's No One Like You (Birth Order Books)
My Only Child, There's No One Like You (Birth Order Books) by Kevin Leman (Hardcover - September 1, 2005)
Used & New from: $0.01