Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS
Customer Discussions > Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother forum

Child abuse makes money for Chua!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-205 of 205 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2011 1:32:16 PM PDT
Reader says:
Someone else mentioned Alice Miller's Prisoners of Childhood: How Narcissistic Parents Form & Deform the Emotional Lives of Their Gifted Children, which I think also goes by the title The Drama of the Gifted Child. The book jacket bio discusses Miller's background as a teaching psychoanalyst & writer.

It was a great recommendation! It is on the same topic as this book but much, much better, much more nuanced, much better written, much better researched & much more thought-provoking. The foreword is dense but once you get past it it is well worth it.

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 2:50:31 PM PDT
Ms. Chua might have met her match in the Weathington Boys. The main characters in a book that is a direct rebuttal to her Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother. Their parents let them run 100% feral, with roughly the same results. I'm not sure if it is on amazon yet, but I read it on nathanweathington.com

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2011 7:52:27 PM PDT
senus says:
It is not even a method!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2011 5:39:12 AM PDT
The Box of Daughter: Overcoming a Legacy of Emotional Abuse

I agree -- Alice's Miller's "The Drama of the Gifted Child" is an excellent book. It's so important to keep the discussion open on issues of childhood abuse, because so many people hide their pain and anger, and it can turn into mental illness in adulthood if the issues aren't resolved.

Katherine Mayfield
www.TheBoxofDaughter.com

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 4:23:02 PM PST
I agree 100%. This woman is evil. What happens if, God forbid, her "successful" daughter marries some monster, who is just like her Mom? Let me guess, it's all the daughter's fault.

I hope this evil spawn's husband got a clue and divorced this poor excuse of a human. She is a disgrace to all mothers, Chinese or otherwise.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  59
Total posts:  205
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 31, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua (Audio CD - January 11, 2011)
3.7 out of 5 stars (1,135)