5.0 out of 5 stars Children Just Like Me (the first one)
Published on November 26, 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars What's missing?
I returned my copy. A book that aims to celebrate diversity should not be a vehicle for a political agenda. The two Jewish holidays covered in the book (Channukah and Purim) are described as holidays celebrated in the US and England, respectively. Israel, the Jewish state, is not mentioned anywhere is the book. Denial of its existence is a political statement that has...
Published on July 24, 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Children Just Like Me (the first one), November 26, 2000
This review is from: Children Just Like Me: Celebrations! (Hardcover)
I am a first grade teacher in Phoenix, Arizona who teaches a wide variety of cultures. Some of the children in my class are Mexican American, Spanish, Bosnian, African American, German and Native American (Navajo and Apache). Recently, during an ESL staff development class, a wonderful instructor introduced this book to me and I was absoultly amazed! It has the most fascinating pictures and text. I had to read it from cover to cover. I had to buy it to have in my class. It must be a permanent source of enjoyment for my classes for years to come. I can't wait for my students to have the opportunity to browse through this book. We will use it so much. Thank you Barnabas and Anabel Kindersley, for putting together such a fabulous children's book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting and joyful, April 26, 2005
Moema (Uppsala, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Children Just Like Me: Celebrations! (Hardcover)
This is a very interesting book, with wonderful pictures and lots of joy. It's a book that makes you happy. Many of the celebrations were unknown to me, and it was fun to see that the Swedish celebration of St. Lucia is described correctly in the book (I'm Swedish).

The only doubtful thing about this book is that the mix of different religions isn't very good. Most celebrations are Christian or Hindu - only one is Muslim and none is purely Buddhist. That's a bit of a pity. Anyway, great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't say enough great things about this book!, May 12, 2000
This review is from: Children Just Like Me: Celebrations! (Hardcover)
What a fabulous book! My 5 year old daughter was delighted to see that children who at first glance appear so different also share her love for soccer, animals, noodles, etc. Each child's bio includes information about their family, home, school, church, clothing, pets and favorite food. This book has great photos, particularly of the children. Although there is much writing on each page, it is not overwhelming for her, and we can stop after one page, and easily pick it up again later. This is the first children's book that I've wanted to read by myself after she's gone to bed!
****
Four years later, I'm adding this paragraph to this review. I continue to use this book with my now 5 and 9 year old children. It's an fun way for them to learn a little more about families who live in countries that we learn about. It's easy to read something in this book that leads to a much wider discussion. They also remember a lot of details from this book that they bring up at other times, such as "People from _____ live in _______ kinds of houses!"

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is great, September 8, 1999
This review is from: Children Just Like Me: Celebrations! (Hardcover)
This book is about knowing the people you live with. It has pictures and information about people from all over the world, their personality and the things those people like. This book is good because you can make more friends because it shows what the people in different countries like. I recommend this book for people that are making school projects about people's lives and is good for people in international schools.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous full-color large photos, January 15, 2004
Nancy C. (Aurora, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Children Just Like Me: Celebrations! (Hardcover)
I love this book and I use it all the time to teach children about other faiths and cultures. The beautiful, realistic photos make it great for sharing. When I am not using it, it makes a nice coffee table book. My only criticism is that it always makes me want to research more (not a lot of text, but the photos and illustrations make it worth having).

5.0 out of 5 stars For adults, too, April 19, 2000
This review is from: Children Just Like Me: Celebrations! (Hardcover)
I got this book out of the library to show my kids the world and how other people celebrate various holidays and festivals. Yet I was intrigued by it, fascinated actually, and I couldn't put it down. Great photos, interesting text, and endearing children around the world as personal guides. A great book for young and old.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Interesting Book of Diversity, November 22, 2010
This review is from: Children Just Like Me: Celebrations! (Hardcover)
This book, Celebrations!, is a sequel to Children Just Like Me. This book explains about holidays celebrated by children all over the world. The book focuses on the holidays, but interviews a child that celebrates them. The child explains in the book how, when, where, and why his or her family celebrates that particular holiday. I think this book is very interesting, especially for a person who wants to learn more about another culture's celebrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars a book to celebrate, March 3, 2008
This review is from: Children Just Like Me: Celebrations! (Hardcover)
Another in the excellent series of DK's partnership with the U.N. -- an amazing trip around the world to view different holidays through children's eyes. The emphasis is on celebrations that center around children or where children play a big role, and the book tries to give a broad cross-section of countries, peoples and cultures/faiths (no book can be all-inclusive).

Keeps an excellent balance between pictures and text -- the pictures are colorful, fascinating and detailed, the text is informative. This should be back in print!

Great job by the Kindersleys!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, September 3, 2003
This review is from: Children Just Like Me: Celebrations! (Hardcover)
The photos are vivid and the stories are interesting. This is a great book to introduce children to some festivals and celebrations around the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loves it!, June 5, 2014
This review is from: Children Just Like Me: Celebrations! (Hardcover)
Such a sweet book. My toddler is obsessed with it. Great introduction to various cultures and celebrations. I have a feeling she'll love it for many, many years.

Children Just Like Me: Celebrations!
Children Just Like Me: Celebrations! by Anabel Kindersley (Hardcover - October 6, 1997)
$18.99 $14.50