5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for parents at any income level!, February 19, 2005
T. Brown (Miami, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Children of Paradise: Successful Parenting for Prosperous Familes (Hardcover)
IF YOU WANT TO IMPROVE YOUR CHILD'S MOTIVATION AND SELF-ESTEEM, THIS BOOK IS FOR YOU.

My husband and I, parents of three children (ages 7, 6, and 2) attended one of Dr. Hausner's speaking engagements in Coral Gables, Florida, and we were impressed by both her relaxed yet captivating speaking style as well as the content of what she had to say (definately (...) material). We were each given a copy of Children of Paradise, and I set to reading it right away. I am now on amazon to order 5 copies to pass along to my close parenting friends regardless of their income level. I plan to keep my highlighted, marked-up copy by my nightstand for easy reference for a long time. While the book contains some insightful strategies for wealthy families in handling inheritance and trusts - issues that are not present in most families in America - this book also provides some of the best parenting advice I have read regarding effective communication with your children, consistent discipline, and issues of control. In Children of Paradise, Dr. Hausner - without blame - discusses character traits of successful, "type A" personality parents and how these traits which have made them successful in their careers do not translate into successful parenting, but rather, can result in lowering a child's self esteem and motivation. I would argue that the same qualities can be found in parents of any income level coping with the competition and stress of daily life with children and careers during a time when we tend to demand perfection of ourselves and others. Dr. Hausner offers specific examples and techniques to improve how parents speak with and listen to their children - at any age - including teenagers. I have started to change the way I communicate with my children and I see results. In appropriate situations, I have stopped imposing strict punishments to control their behavior in favor of allowing my children to experience the natural consequences of their own failure to do what they need to do. (Not when it involves personal safety - obviously.) I am trying to stop telling them what to do most of the time (or just doing it for them) in the interest of expediency. I already see how my children are becoming more responsible with these changes and more confident. In short, this is a terrific book for any educated parent - career or stay at home, middle or upper class. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Children of Paradise, March 31, 2000
By A Customer
In recent history with so much instant wealth created from techno-stocks, it gives great insights on how to handle wealth in your family. Wealth may solve some problems, but creates others for families and this book gives solutions to avoid the pitfalls. It is helpful in keeping children of wealth grounded. Lee Hausner has worked with many wealthy families in the Beverly Hills School District and has first-hand knowledge in dealing with the issues surrounding children and wealth.

5.0 out of 5 stars The go-to treatise for raising children, August 3, 2007
This book has been the go-to treatise for raising children since 1990. Dr. Hausner's contemporary message applies to all families seeking assistance with the issues related to childrearing. A great read and very insightful.

4.0 out of 5 stars The discussion of the problem is spot on!, December 5, 2013
The discussion of the problem is spot on!
I'm been on the inheriting side of the table, I'm a financial planner for very affluent and now raising four kids through the battle for entitlement and affluence. This book has some practical suggestions, very challenging questions and a clear understanding of the problem with affluence.
Dr. Hausner was a psychologist in Beverly Hills and is now an advisor, I believe, with a Trust company. So she speaks as with experience.
Here is an example of her style of practical questions that push to be in your face a little. Page 115, "...One of the things I often ask parents to do is to write down five special thing about each child in their family. ...Take a moment now... If you have trouble with this exercise, you probably aren't celebrating the uniqueness of each of your children..." That is challenging but worded in a kind way, right?

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read., October 15, 2013
Simple, yet SO insightful. A practical overview with practical solutions. So many of us would benefit by understanding the psychology behind families and money: power and love.

Children of Paradise: Successful Parenting for Prosperous Familes
Children of Paradise: Successful Parenting for Prosperous Familes by Lee Hausner (Hardcover - September 1, 1990)
Used & New from: $0.01