4.0 out of 5 stars Great Teacher Resource -- for the arts
Published on March 26, 2000 by Lynda Black

3.0 out of 5 stars HUGE~!
As a college student, I find this book rather large. I would have liked to have ordered the digital version, though the price difference made the hard copy an obvious choice. If the kindle version is reasonably priced, I will be swapping this lumbering version for the digital one.
Published 12 months ago by Jenifer E.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Teacher Resource -- for the arts, March 26, 2000
Lynda Black (Cedar Rapids, Iowa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Children and Their Art (Hardcover)
This is a great book to use in a pre-service teacher education program. However, I am a long-time art educator and I still refer to it because it has a wide range of information on issues we encounter every day. This year I am teaching the art class for undergraduate elementary teachers and it is proving a very valuable resource. It is written in a readable, highly practical way with lots of examples that make adding art into an elementary curriculum not seem so foreign or so daunting. I do feel that there is a need for other supplemental reading and resources to accompany this text, but it is a great overall art education text, especially for the generalist teacher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Professional Review, May 3, 2005
Children and Their Art is the most comprehensive textbook available for teaching art education methods. This bestselling textbook covers all aspects of teaching art in the elementary classroom: the basic principles and goals of art education, the characteristics and needs of children as learners, the core principles of art as a subject-aesthetics, principles of design, art history, art media-and all aspects of instruction-curriculum planning, sample lessons, classroom management, and assessment. The seventh edition has been thoroughly updated and includes coverage of the National Standards for Art Education as well as the impact of postmodern thought on the practice of art education. It also provides a concise overview of child development theories and the latest findings on child development and brain research, including Howard Gardner's theory of Multiple Intelligences.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book for an Arts for Teachers Class!, January 3, 2010
I had recently taken an Arts for Teachers Class. I had to return the book because I rented it from the bookstore, but I wanted the book. Instead of paying $140 dollars for it at the same bookstore, I bought it here off of a seller for $10 and was very satisfied. This edition of the book contains more information than the newer edition of the book. I am very happy that I have this edition instead. It is very nicely organized and will be very helpful wherever life takes me. It contains information on children's art developmental stages, the various kinds of art for kids, art history, art aesthetics, art criticism, and different ways you can incorperate art within the classroom. This is an invaluable resource for future and current teachers. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but worth it, October 29, 2007
This review is from: Children and Their Art: Methods for the Elementary School (Hardcover)
I am beginning art teacher and I have found this book incredibly helpful. What I like most about it is that it is thorough, but condensed. It covers a lot of important information in an accessible and easy to read way. A great overview on child development, and practical methods for the Elementary Art Classroom. A great reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars In excellent condition, January 27, 2014
This product was in better condition than I thought and was a great price. I have been wanting this book for awhile but It was too expensive at other places.

3.0 out of 5 stars HUGE~!, August 20, 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Textbooks, June 29, 2012
As a textbook, it reads very well. Chapters are short and interesting and there are some wonderful art ideas for young children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, August 12, 2011
I had this for an art instruction class. It's a great book and resource, and fit the class I took well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good ideas, April 19, 2010
Heavy reading but good ideas and information throughout for teachers wanting to add some art to their day :)

5.0 out of 5 stars very similar to eighth edition, September 26, 2009
I chose this edition to use instead of the 8th edition for a art education class. The information is the same, but the pictures have changed. Which doesn't matter to me, the cost was the reason I chose this edition. College is expensive, and if I can save $100 by using an older edition, I will. So, to anyone who wants to save some money, buy this edition if you are required to buy the 8th edition. You will be reading the same information.

Children and Their Art: Methods for the Elementary School
Children and Their Art: Methods for the Elementary School by Charles D. Gaitskell (Hardcover - May 23, 2006)
Used & New from: $50.00