Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

Format: Audio CDChange

on July 11, 2012
I purchased this CD to play for my 2 year old in the car. He likes it, and as adult, I don't mind it either. More details below.

Best Features:
-The vocalist (Larry Groce) is quite good. The songs are not over-done, but at the same time his voice is quite expressive.
-The arrangements are simple, but fun. The kid's will enjoy, but it is still very listenable for adults.
-The song list is fairly comprehensive, with a good variety of children's songs.

Drawbacks:
-Even though Mickey and Minnie Mouse are on the cover, they are not part of the playlist in any way.
-All songs are by the same vocalist.
-Some of the song choices are questionable, such as "It ain't gonna rain no more" which includes the lyric "How in the heck am I gonna wash my neck." I don't find this objectionable, but others might. Also, I know that there will come a day when I have to address appropriate language with my 2 year old, but I'm in no hurry to do so.
-Song list includes "Dixie". Again, I don't personally find this objectionable (it has a nice melody). But still, it is a song closely associated with the Confederacy, the Rebel flag, and other sensitive topics.

Summary:
This is a good collection of songs that will entertain children without driving away the adults.
22 comments38 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2009
This CD is beloved by both my 3 yr old and 1 yr old. In fact, it does not get on my nerves at all and I hear it all the time. The arrangements are excellent and the singer's voice (a male voice) is pleasant and talented, not shrill or irritating like other kids' music can be.
0Comment18 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2011
I listened to this same album as a child and now my daughter does, too. The download was quick and painless, and I don't have to rewind the cassette like I used to!
on June 16, 2011
I came across a few songs from this album when I was using Pandora Radio--- The Wiggles station. No, you won't hear disney characters singing along, but I knew that when I purchased it. The main reason I purchased this cd was because of the Old MacDonald song, I loved all the animal noises, and my baby loves it too! All the others songs are nice, this was a good addition to our baby songs library.
on June 15, 2013
I realized one day that my young granddaughter didn't know a lot of these American classic songs- Oh, Susanna, She'll Be Comin' Round the Mountain, A Bicycle Built for Two- so I went looking, and am so happy that I found these CDs. I bought four kids music CDs through Amazon, and yesterday we listened to them all while going about our day. In fact, she is driving the whole family crazy with Shoo Fly, Don't Bother Me!
That said, I love Larry Groce as host of Mountain Stage, and for his 70's hit Junk Food Junkie, but I feel his songs really bring the action to a halt at some points. There are only three of them though, so don't let that stop you from buying this great kids CD!
on January 19, 2010
I used to listen to this album (then, in a cassette) as a child, over and over and over. Was sooo glad to find it! I bought it for my nephews and they loved it just as much! Very short songs with lovely accompaniment. Has some calming songs too. Play it while the kids are drawing or playing.
on July 4, 2011
I had these albums on vinyl (vol. 1-3) when I was little and they have stayed with me since then, even though the vinyls have been lost over time. As my husband and I are getting ready to have our first baby, I was thrilled to find the CD's on here because I want my child to experience them the way I did. And I'm not going to lie, I'm looking forward to listening to them again myself! Children's entertainment is not what it used to be, and its nice to be able to play some traditional songs instead of falling back on some of the "music" that is available now.
on January 27, 2013
We keep it in the car, And Julieta just loves it. She swears it's Mickey and Minnie singing. She's happy, we are happy!
on December 29, 2015
I was getting sick of listening to the same CD in my car over and over when driving the toddlers around. So, I purchased this as a stocking stuffer. My children (1 and 3) love this CD. The songs are pretty short which makes it easy for the children to remember. There are some questionable lyrics (like the one with 3 Blind Mice getting their tails chopped off! And the work Heck in 'It Ain't Gonna Rain No More') but I can look past those because my children don't seem to catch the violent/'questionable word' in the song.

I guess they just put Mickey and Minnie on the cover as a ploy to get parents to buy Disney products - they are in no way part of the music on this CD. My daughter liked seeing Minnie on the cover though...

Unfortunately, the case for this CD is really cheap - just a flimsy cardboard fold over. I would've preferred a jewel case for better storage in my car.

Overall, it doesn't irritate me like some kids songs and the children like it!
on May 18, 2011
I'm so excited to finally have found these! I'm 31 years old and as a kid I had these records! At the age of 10 I gave them away to my newborn cousin along with my record player. If I'd only known how much I'd miss them well into adulthood. When I started making bread and found myself singing "Mammy's little baby loves shortnin' shortnin'..." incessantly, I knew I had to give in and purchase these MP3 albums. I want these songs to be a part of my children's lives in a more beautiful way than I can sing them!

Like the other 5 star reviews I find this guy's voice to be pleasant instead of irritating like so many other children's albums. They also include so many great folk songs that are just drenched in rich history if you want to look into that. I prefer those so much over the 1-2-3 / A-B-C songs of today.

Super happy with my purchase. :)