5.0 out of 5 stars Picturebook Makers: Buy This Book, September 1, 2012
This review is from: Children's Picturebooks: The Art of Visual Storytelling (Paperback)
10 stars. I will buy this book when the coin is in my pocket. Picturebooks are not children's illustrated books. Picturebooks are a singular genre, people who make picturebooks are picturebook makers. This hybrid realm of the book arts is new and developing according to the authors. Think of Chinese iconography, where each character tells a story. Children learn about the world with pictures first, then words. In an increasingly digital world, we will learn the skills of "looking, appreciating and interpreting visual material, including its design." Just as we did when first viewing a reindeer on a cave wall. Today's picturebooks can be metafictive, wherein the book fabric and materiality contribute to the storytelling, and there are "mischievous subversions of the normal conventions." I put holds on as many of the examples shown as I could find in our library system. Although there are well-loved/known picturebook makers in the global arts, not all are translated, or available for an American audience. I was thrilled to find a plate of a book by Shaun Tan, whose "The Arrival" took our breath away when we first touched it at Everybody Reads! in Lansing, MI. With a quick thorough history of the visual arts and printing in the front of the book, this is a keeper with value for a lifetime. Be warned: the text is small. Wish it was available as a digital book, so I could read the words with ease.

4.0 out of 5 stars FOUR STARS INSTEAD OF FIVE BECAUSE..., January 4, 2013
Reviewer LINDA ROBINSON(Michigan) did a superb & insightful review on this book giving it FIVE STARS. She mentioned FONT SIZE near the end of her review & looks forward to the book being available for KINDLE & ebooks so she could read the book with ease. For one, given the subject of this book: the authors should have known better! USE OF EMPTY SPACE is a given in ADVERTISING...but not at the sacrifice of the MESSAGE. The FONT SIZE for the TEXT & for the ILLUSTRATIONS borders on the absurd and to me is a very strange & major flaw for a book otherwise of such timely insight!
I highly recommend that you read Review by LINDA ROBINSON(Michigan) in conjunction with my red flag re font sizes here. Apparently she did not purchase the book but she is very conscientious in her review. I DID purchase the book. And I need to know what it says...so I am suffering along even using a MAGNIFYING GLASS at times & writing profuse notes in the space the authors left available by robbing the text & notes on illustrations of FONT SIZE.
Given this warning...that you may want to wait for this book to be available for ebook reading, the authors have done a brilliant job & the book is superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and complete, April 24, 2014
Of all the books I have found on the subject this has been the most complete, interesting, and helpful. I appreciate the coverage of historical shifts and wonderful visuals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, December 14, 2013
It's just perfect, it was as expected and as described in the picture. No complains so far. It is great material to begin with.

4.0 out of 5 stars A history of picturebooks, August 19, 2013
This books surprised me with a brief history of picture books from the late 19th century through the decades of the 20th century and concludes with some considerations for the genre in eboook formats. I was enchanted by the illustrations from various countries and time periods. That said, the font size is very small and it would be easier to enjy the text included if it weren
t too small.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought it as a Gift and he loved it, January 4, 2013
I bought this as a gift for my husband and he loved it. This is not actually a children's book but rather a very interesting book of history of the art illustrations we find in the children's books and which are the most significant part of the books.
I love it too.

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this book, October 31, 2014
I enjoyed this book, especially the artist's sketchbooks. One thing that was annoying was that it focused so much on the people going to that school.

Children's Picturebooks: The Art of Visual Storytelling
Children's Picturebooks: The Art of Visual Storytelling by Martin Salisbury (Paperback - February 8, 2012)
$35.00 $25.84