JL Childress Gate Check Bag for Umbrella Strollers, Red
Color Name: Umbrella Strollers RedChange
Price:$13.70 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 31, 2012
Color Name: Umbrella Strollers RedVerified Purchase
I had to write this review after I saw that the last couple of reviews had been pretty bad for this product given that I believe the contrary.

First some context: I am a father of two and owner of 3 strollers and 3 car seats. I travel with my wife and daughters between 3-4 times a year. I have purchase other bags for the purpose of covering my strollers and car seats in the past but have now settled with this "gate check" bag.

As parents know, traveling with small children requires patience and a lot of stuff. Having something that protects your stuff is key if you want to use it more than once. For that reason I have purchased a bag for each of my strollers and car seat that I used when traveling on a plane. It is cleared to me that if you don't use a bag your stuff will get damage or dirty easily.

If you have an expensive stroller or car seat and want to keep it intact you probably need to buy the brand's hard bag. No need to lie here. This bag is great for its intended purpose but it is still made from normal threads so if you want bullet-proof material, don't think that this one will stand to your expectations.

This bag is great to keep your normal stroller clean and it would protect it from its normal wear and tear. It won't protect it from a clumsy or awful bag taker. The only way you are going to be saved from those people is having a hard bag but that it is impossible when you are gate checking. In others words this is as good as you get for gate checking bags.

In terms of fitting well, check the right size for your stroller and car seat. There is a bag for each purpose. I have purchased the umbrella stroller size and it fit perfectly for my Uppa Baby stroller. I have another umbrella stroller that I just purchased for my youngest and it also fit that one pretty well. Sorry cant remember that brand of stroller right now but it is something like "first something". For my car seats I have a three Graccos. One is a infant car seat and the other two are toddlers car seat. In the three occasions I purchased the "car seat" sized bag and it worked perfectly.

I have to say that I have had bad flights were they teared my bag but those are more the exemption to the rule. In general what happens normally in a flight is that the bag will get really dirty. Just washed afterwardsw and that is it.

In terms of how easy is to storage it I will have to say that it doesn't required for you to be a scientist to get the entire bag back into the small self-contained bag. What I do is that I keep it in the stroller all the time after folding it back. That way I don't search for the bag when I am traveling.

In terms of putting strollers or car seats in the bag when at the gate. My rutile is pretty simple. I normally go first and leave my wife and daughters at the door of the plane. I leave the bags in our seats and go back to the door. Then I fold and bagged strollers and enter the plane with my wife. Putting the strollers in their respective bags is relatively easy. If you purchased the right size it should be that problematic. It take me a few seconds as I already got all the tricks.

I hope this review helped you.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 15, 2010
Color Name: Car Seats RedVerified Purchase
This bag is for when you take your car seat through the airport and check it at the airplane itself - gate checking! It's made to keep it clean, and yes I have had baby things come back pretty dirty, but not often. It then folds right back up in it's little bag. It is NOT made to go through airport baggage where it's on the conveyor belts and thrown around like crazy. If you look at the other bad reviews, they are almost all made by folks who have checked this as baggage, not gate checking.
By the way, if you are gate checking spend the best $15 of your life and get Traveling Toddler Car Seat Travel Accessory. Use it with a sturdy carry on bag with a long enough handle that you don't have to stay bent over, and fill your carry on so it's solid. Filled with some of your and your childs things in it (we all know how invaluable that extra set of baby things are if your luggage is lost!) and with your car seat on it, it saves you checked luggage fees $$$ and is convenient! What more could you ask for! A stroller through the airport and no fees for your car seat as luggage or having to rent a (usually old and yucky) car seat with your rental! :)
Even if you aren't using it as a stroller for your older kids car seats, it sure is nice not to have to carry the car seats!
on April 4, 2013
Color Name: Umbrella Strollers RedVerified Purchase
Turn it inside out and line the seams with duct tape to help prevent tears.
Also keep the plastic case it comes in because trying to fold it up back into the self contained zip pouch is nearly impossible. Much easier to roll it up and stuff it back into the plastic case.
Fits umbrella stroller with plenty of room to spare.
on March 11, 2014
Verified Purchase
We flew to cancun for my sister-in-laws wedding w/ out 1 year old. There were huge thunderstorms prior to landing and, like many international flights, you get off the plane on the actual runway and take a bus to the terminal.

There were two car seats sitting on the run way - the other baby on our plane had her car seat FACE DOWN IN A PUDDLE, w/ the headrest cover laying next to it. pretty much ruined (jet fuel and oil is not good for babies) - ours was still in the red bag, totally protected and dry!

Without this we would have been totally screwed and would have had to throw away the car seat! (and we would probably have to find a new one at a store while my wife waits at the airport!)

To the people who are leaving reviews saying it doesn't "last long" or "handle breaks easily" - who cares, I'd rather the bag gets damaged then the car seat inside of it! Luggage handlers are not gentle - if they are going to break something, i'd rather it be a $11 bag then a $200 car seat.

Also - EXPLANATION OF GATE CHECKING FOR NEW PARENTS - every airline will allow you to GATE CHECK your stroller- you bring it through security, to the actual gate where you board the plane- Take the car seat and put in the bag BEFORE you give them your ticket to board the plane, they will print an extra baggage tag at the gate, attach it to the car seat bag (and stroller - if you have one like ours that comes in two pieces so the seat can be used in the car) and then an attendant will take the stroller for you right before you get on. This way you have your stroller in the airport while you are waiting for your flight, and you get it back IMMEDIATELY upon departing the plane (they get it before the doors are even opened, on the flight back to the USA it was waiting on the walkway when you get off the plane before you even get into the airport. In cancun it was on the runway at the bottom of the stairs when we got off the plane)

Also for new parents- most airlines allow you additional carry on bags for baby food and clothes to ensure you have EVERYTHING you need in case of delays or lost luggage, they are very nice about it. just remember- the only thing they want less then an upset baby on a plane is a mom who is flipping out because her baby doesn't have what they need. Also- the TSA will let you bring baby formula (above 4 oz) on the plane if it's in sealed bottles, so buy the similac ready-to-feed bottles for the plane and all you need to do is screw on a nipple: https://www.amazon.com/Similac-Advance-Newborn-2-Fluid-Packaging/dp/B000N351WQ/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=securicom07-20&linkCode=w01&creativeASIN=B000N351WQ

and of course, always bring an extra day or two of food, babies don't sleep at well when you travel - and more awake time means extra feeding.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 12, 2009
Color Name: Umbrella Strollers Red
You know when the Gate attendants thinks it is a good idea . . . it is.

1. it is bright red, you'll see it in the sea of gate check stuff.
2. it keeps your stroller clean - my red bag is very dirty after 2 vacations, and 2 lend outs.
3. it make is easier to carry your folded up stroller*
4. you can stuff other stuff in it that you don't "need" on the plane - like jackets.
5. it is great to use to store your stroller when you aren't using it.

* Note: We found that getting the stroller all packages up outside of the gate was easier . . . doing in on a runway or by the plane is just annoying, makes you all sweaty and hard w/ a baby/toddler.
on November 7, 2009
Color Name: Car Seats Red
Having read the warnings here about durability, my intent for this bag was to have something to throw the car seat into just prior to gate check to keep the car seat clean while it was stowed below. Even with the (relatively) easy handling, ours had a large hole ripped into it after only 2 trips (actually on the outbound segment of our 2nd trip). Unfortunately, something like this item, designed specifically for travel, should have the durability to last at least several trips (a dozen or so too much to ask?).

I would NOT recommend this bag. Not even for gate checking purposes only.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Color Name: Car Seats RedVerified Purchase
This is great, but only because I took other reviewers' advice and ordered a roll of red duct tape at the same time. I turned the bag inside out and reinforced all the seams with the duct tape, and it performed spectacularly. I can tell, though, it wouldn't have survived the first trip (yes, only gate checking, not cargo hold), if I hadn't done the preliminary work.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 5, 2009
Color Name: Car Seats Red
We bought a stroller bag and a car seat bag for our baby's first flights. They kept the stroller & car seat clean and easy to find. Not the most durable material, but better than nothing and fine for gate checking.

FYI, our stroller (a Baby Jogger City Mini) didn't fit in the stroller bag. But it did fit in the car seat bag, and our car seat (a Graco SnugRide 32) fit in the stroller bag -- so we just switched them, and it worked out fine.
Color Name: Car Seats RedVerified Purchase
This fit our car seat perfectly (also allowing enough room to stash coats) but after just one flight, it already had 2 holes.
on May 27, 2008
Color Name: Car Seats Red
I really liked this. It kept both our carseats CLEAN! I'm glad that I bought it and will most definately be using it again!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations