Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: A Child's Book of Poems
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on July 18, 2007
This book is filled with amazingly beautiful poetry by famous poets along with amazingly beautiful illustrations.

Here are some of the poets and poems,
William Blake--Night
The Happy Sheep-- wilfred Thorley
The Breeze--Old Garden Rhyme
Daisies--Frank Dempster sherman
The Elf and the Doormouse--Oliver Herford

There are many, many more like these. It's a book full of wonderment and innocence and respect for all our great creator has given us, including imagination.
review image review image review image review image
33 comments|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2003
My father read to us from this book when we were children, and all of us had our favorites. When I saw it had been reprinted, I bought a few! I have been reading to my kids from the old copy for several years.
The variety of poetry in this collection is astounding. Poems date back to Shakespeare, into Dickenson's time, and also as recently as the 1960's. There are classics like Wynken, Blynken and Nod, but newer ones like What is Pink? A Rose is Pink. There are poems from women as well as men, and there is variety in the length as well.
The one thing that all these poems have in common is their beauty. Recently children's poets have resorted to ickiness and shock to attract children. These poems use language that expands their vocabulary and makes them want to use these new words themselves. My children have started using words like prithee!
The illustrations in this book are as attractive to me now as they were when I was a child, and my children love them as well. The illustration for Daffodils makes a person feel as though we are wandering lonely as a cloud with the child as well. If this book were more widely available, I would buy a stack to give out at baby showers.
on June 21, 2000
I still have my copy of A Child's Book of Poems, my most beloved childhood book. I read from it to my son every night. This is the most beautifully illustrated anthology of poems by great poets, some famous and some not so well known (from William Blake to William Shakespeare) I have ever seen! I have so many of the poems memorized that I hardly have to look at the words, allowing me to soak up the fantastic artwork as I get lost in a wonderland of rhyme. It is a shame that this book is not still in print.
on October 10, 2008
I had this poem come into my head at the age of 40 - "old dog". The lines of it came to me once in awhile - I searched for it and searched for it - no luck anywhere. Finally I found an old handwritten book of poems of mine - favorites I had copied at the ripe old age of 10. Lo and behold - "Old Dog" was in this book. I bought it - I read it almost nightly to my 5 year old daughter and she is slowly but surely coming to love it also. At first I think she was just humoring her mother, but now she actually requests it. What a beautiful book, what lovely poetry. Another reviewer mentioned too much for their child, too boring, too something - I say "pshaw!" to that - half the problems with todays kids is that their parents don't even try to bring them back to the simpler days in life - when things weren't all flashy and quick and immediate. Read to your children, show them the finer things in life that we were shown oh so many years ago. They'll take to it too if you just give them the chance!
on October 9, 2002
My 35 year old daughter still has her copy of this book which I gave to her when she was 2 or 3 yrs. old. We spent many hours over many years reading the poems.
It is a beautiful, warm experience to lose onesself in this book.
I never tire of just leafing through the pages once more.
I want this book for my grandchildren. It definitely is due to be reprinted.
on January 13, 2009
I had been wanting to find a good book of poems for my 3 year old. We had tried some from the library and she didn't really like them. I found this version and I remembered Gyo Fujikawa's illustrations from when I was a child. We bought this book for a Christmas present. She LOVES it! She loves the pictures and has already memorized a poem! She would have me reading poems out of this book all day if she could! Such a great intro to poetry!
on December 5, 2008
My two year old son and I both love this book. The poetry is wonderful and the illustrations are lovely. I get asked to "wead powems" nearly every night. These classic poems are instilling a love of poetry in my son that will last for years. I'm buying this for friends with children because I know they'll love it too.
on September 8, 2012
This is the book that, over thirty years ago, introduced me to Emily Dickinson and helped me memorize "The Owl and the Pussycat" for a third grade poetry assignment. Fujikawa's sweet drawings are vibrant and full of childhood's intense emotions. The book presents some poetry as excerpts (such as the first stanza of Dickinson's "Certainty,") and others in full with glorious two-page layouts (Wordsworth's "Daffodils.") Lewis Carroll makes us giggle, Victor Hugo sings us a lullaby, Song of Solomon makes our hearts ache. Better than any "classics for children" before or since, this is a book of real poetry that remembers that children are real people. This book makes a wonderful gift for other people's children or your own.
on May 15, 2011
I read "A Child's Book of Poems" for my book report. I liked the book because it had adorable poems and illustrations that are funny and cute.
I didn't like a few of them but above all it was a great book.
Some of my favorites were: "What is Pink? A Rose is Pink", "The Clucking Hen", "A Swing Song" and "Kindness to Animals".
I recommend you to read this book.
on February 2, 2016
This is a beautiful book that my first grader loved. We've read it again and again and he has memorized many of the poems. He really connects to them. I was amazed. Great first poetry book for children.