5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting!
This is a beautiful, enchanting book. The illustrations are superb, the text simple and sweet leaving plenty of time to peruse the details of the pictures. There is a fairy tale theme subtly carried throughout. My 3.5 and 7 year old daughters both love this book.
Published on October 15, 2007 by M. Spano

3.0 out of 5 stars Seller was prompt in fulfilling order, but book was not great for toddlers
Some scary stories and illustrations inside, would not recommend for young kids. OTOH, the front and back covers? Huge hits with my granddaughter, that I bought the book for. She loved the giant sun (front) and beautiful moon (back) but again, some of the inside stories I did not feel appropriate for very young children (one I remember was a pic of a wolf with large fangs...
Published 23 months ago by Sherry Cashin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting!, October 15, 2007
M. Spano (Northern Calif.) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Count on more..., January 13, 2011
For a basic counting book, this colorful presentation also introduces children's stories like Jack and the Beanstalk. The bright, artistic, but not overly busy pictures encourage sharing, counting and relating the pictures to one another - all necessary reading skills. After the counting is done, read the whole fairy tale...there is a list in the back of the book. My granddaughter loves the book and we can't wait to add the extended stories to our reading repertoire.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of our favorite books, December 20, 2007
This book is fun for both kids and adults. As with the "ABC: A Child's First Alphabet Book", it's fun to look at the pictures and find the other things that also fit in that category (letter for the alphabet book or number for the counting book.) The pictures are pretty and detailed, and the fairy tale theme is appealing. It's fun to reread because we try to find other things we may have missed previously.

5.0 out of 5 stars Destined to be a Classic, April 14, 2010
This review is from: 1 2 3 A Child's First Counting Book (Board book)
This book is absolutely lovely. It is the best counting book that I have seen in children's literature. The pictures are captivating, and the technique of counting up to 10 and then going back down again is brilliant. Not only is it an important concept for little readers to begin to understand, but the imagery of going "up the hill" and back again harkens back to the hill imagery used elsewhere in Ms. Jay's books. Speaking of Ms. Jay's books in general, they are brilliant! Somehow I came across her illustration of the "Emperor Has No Clothes" (this might not be the exact title) a few years ago which I gave to my daughter. She is 8 years now (with a reading level way beyond her age) and she still loves the book. So do I. The power is in Ms. Jay's artwork! Then, a few months ago I caught a glimpse of "Picture This" (in board book format) in a charming toy store in Madison (or Chatham) New Jersey and immediately snatched it off the shelf. I recognized the artwork right away and purchased the book for my toddler son without need of further thought. Being the 110% boy that he is, he was not so interested in books until I gave him "Picture This." From the moment I first read the book to him he was hooked (along with the rest of the family). We began to notice the games that could be played with the book illustrations. I soon decided to check Amazon for other books written by Alison Jay. Lo and behold ... I found "123" and "ABC". I purchased them both. The three books together make a wonderful set because many of the illustrated themes flow through all three books. They are the core of my son's library and his most beloved books. To my delight he is now interested in other books as well. I want to add one final important point. The books that I purchased for my son are all board books. They are larger than most board books which is very important given the beauty of the artwork. (Approximately 8"x8"). These books are beloved in my household and have become standards in my gift giving for young children. This is the first review I have ever given on Amazon which is further indication of how much I like these books. I highly recommend "123" and the other books mentioned in this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful introduction to numbers and fairy tales, January 1, 2011
Amazon Customer (Arlington, VA USA) - See all my reviews
My 18-month-old son loves this book. It has lots of fun details to look at, and has lots of objects he recognizes. He likes all the animals especially. I really enjoy reading it to him because the pictures are so lovely. It's also fun to tell him a few 30-second versions of the featured fairy tales as we look at the pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to LOVE and learn from!, March 3, 2010
We have nearly all of Jay's illustrated books, and this one is probably our favorite. I wasn't sure if my 3-year-old son would be as enchanted as I am by the book, given the allusions to Cinderella, Snow White, and The Princess and the Pea (though among many others, Jay also packs in The Three Little Pigs, The Three Bears, and the Gingerbread Man, all of whom my son enjoys). It has been such a pleasure seeing how he has been drawn into this book by all of the hidden details waiting to be discovered with each reading. The illustrations and the subtleties within are mesmerizing! And it is nothing but fun to see how Jay was able to weave together so many classic storybook characters. This book has resulted in many promises to return to the library so that my son can learn the stories that go along with several of the characters introduced. And then there is the whole counting element of the book - there are obvious and many not-so-obvious items to count on every page (which is fun for a three-year-old to tackle), and I am excited to have a counting book that so fluidly introduces counting backwards from ten. This book is simply wonderful in a whole bunch of ways. Click "add to cart" so that you and your little ones can love it, too!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!!, January 26, 2010
Alison Jay has done it again!

She is just such a wonderful artist. Big, bold, and bright colors used, and she always repeats and connects pictures on each page, so there is always something to look at. Nothing likes those dumb children's books you see out there in Barnes and Noble.

We own almost her whole collection and my daughter LOVES them since she was 6 months old (she's now 2 years and still looks at them every night).

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Alison Jay is wonderful!, December 15, 2008
JAZ/JPZ MOM (Malibu, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This book is wonderful - my daughter LOVES it, as she loves all of Alison Jay's books, including Listen, Listen! Picture This...: A Child's First Picture Book and ABC: A Child's First Alphabet Book. The illustrations are just beautiful in this one and in all of them - these books are great for learning first words and picture/word/letter/number association. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank you., December 11, 2013
This review is from: 1 2 3 A Child's First Counting Book (Board book)
The book was enthusiastically received by my grand child. She is learning by hearing the book read to her nightly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great children's book, October 18, 2013
This book arrived in excellent condition, and I will love giving it to my 2-year-old grandson for his birthday next week.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1 2 3 A Child's First Counting Book
1 2 3 A Child's First Counting Book by Alison Jay (Board book - September 17, 2009)
$9.99 $8.49