Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian Storm Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

ChiliPad - Cooling/Heating Mattress Pad
Price:$1,099.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 21, 2012
I purchased a dual-zone King sized Chilipad about 1 1/2 years ago. Previously I would often waking up sweating at night, even if the room was cool. The Chilipad has helped significantly. I generally sleep cooler, and wake up less.

Unfortunately, this a great idea in need of some further engineering and refinement, and I am not so happy with the quality. After 1 1/2 years of use, here are my observations:

-The pad never quite gets as cool as I would like. After a couple of hours, its noticeably cool. But I wish it would get a bit cooler. Sometimes when the room is too warm, the unit cant keep up and I still wake up hot.

-The lights and controls on the cooling units need to be thought out better. I would be much happier with a simple on/off switch for maximum cooling... without the bright lights and the loud beeping. The lights on the top of the cooling units are extremely bright; I have to place a shoe or something on top of each unit in order to darken the room. The unit beeps quite loudly every time you turn it on or make an adjustment, which is distracting if someone else is already in bed sleeping. To set the unit for cooling, you have to first push the on button, which beeps loudly, then hold down the temp button for a few moments til you get to the lowest temp, and then you can finally set the temp. Its an unnecessarily long and loud process. If the unit is bumped when its running then it shuts down and resets, and you have to go through all the button pushing and beeping again.

-My pad recently developed a leak, which caused a big wet spot to form. I spoke to Becky in their customer service department, and she said that LEAKS are NOT covered under their "2 year warranty". She says that if it develops a leak, even under normal use and during the warranty period, you have to pay $90 for a new pad. So I paid the $90.

-One of my two cooling units recently stopped cooling. It would power on... bright lights, loud beeping and everything... but it would not cool. As a result, one half of the pad would not work. I had to ship the cooling unit back to them for a repair, which was completed promptly and it works fine now.

I hope they re-design this product in the future and fix some of these issues. When its working right, its pretty good. In spite of my frustrations with it, I would probably buy it again. I think it has the potential to be a great item if they come out with a higher quality version.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 5, 2012
Let me start by saying, yes, I understand it's expensive, HOWEVER, in the 2 months I've had it, my heating bill is already lower, and I can see that with winter and summer heating bill savings, it will end up paying for itself.

The temperature control is fantastic!!! If your body heats up at night, the chili-pad will cool you down, and if you cool off, it will heat you up. It will heat or cool to the temperature you set it too, so you stay comfortable all night!

I really LOVE the dual zone. I sleep at 73degrees (winter temperature), and my girlfriend sleeps at 80. We both sleep ALL night in a deep, restful sleep. Both of us can set our own temperature to whatever makes us comfortable.

Review I read before I bought this product talked about the 'noise' made by the fan from the control unit.
After turning both sides on, I could not believe that anyone would complain about it. It's barely even a whisper!! I put the two control units at the foot of my bed, and it sounds like a small fan on in an adjacent room. There is a separate remote for each side, so you don't even have to get out of bet to turn it up, down, off, or set the sleep timer.

They say to use distilled water, and it holds a surprisingly small amount of water. You have to top the water off about every 2 weeks or so.

My dog and cat also sleep on the bed. I was slightly concerned about what their claws could do, but I turns out that the tubing is well protected inside the chili-pad so no worries about the pets!

This product has FAR surpassed my expectations!!! I work nights, so I can't wait to see how cool it keeps me in the summer, while I sleep during the day! I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants a better more restful sleep!!!!
on December 13, 2013
This pad really does make the bed much more comfortable. No more drastic temperature shifts and the bed is actually comfortable to get into. The dual zones allow for two different settings so each person can set their own preferences. It took me a week to find the "right temperature" and changes in the season will mean finding the balance between blankets, heating, fans, and A/C but it is well worth it. No more crawling into a cold winter bed, or sweating during the nights. We love the machine and use it every night.

Some considerations before you buy (and the only reasons I wouldn't give it 5 stars):
- the unit does make noise. I'm a light sleeper but I got used to it within a couple of nights, it's more of a steady white noise that will drown out most outside noises. It also has a loud beep when you adjust anything.
- the unit is bright. For some reason the temperature display stays on the entire time without a dimming feature. I had to put a small object over the display during the night.
- the hose running from the unit is somewhat short. It's probably designed this way so temperature can be maintained, but you won't be able to put this across the room, it will have to go right next to the bed.
- if your room is dusty, it will get dirty. It's a fan that circulates air. If you put it in an area that gets dust (like on the floor near under the bed) it will pick up that dust. You have to make sure to clean the unit and the are around it frequently.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 19, 2013
For years I would wake from sleep at night being too hot or even sweating. My wife is cold natured and wants the temperature raised in the bedroom. I had tried temperature balancing mattress covers and even had chillows under the sheets. Even the chillow would be warm in the morning.

We decided to purchase the Chilipad after reading many reviews and looking at similar products that use air instead of water.
We have had the Chilipad for a week now and I am so thankful for finding this product. The pad itself is quite thin and the tubes can be positioned either at the head or foot of the bed. We placed the control units under the foot of the bed. Setup was very easy and we were cooling the bed in a very short amount of time. The control units have a fan that helps to cool or heat water in the unit. They definitely make noise, but not so much as to bother our sleep. The constant hum actually helps as a white noise machine.

The morning after the first night, I was shocked to see that I had actually covered myself! I have slept without cover for so many years because of the sweats. I had the unit set at 65 degrees. This kept me from sweating and did not make me too cold by the morning. I have not adjusted the temperature as of yet as I am enjoying the new sleep.

My wife wanted her temperature to be higher, but she complained of being too hot. We adjusted her temperature each night, but the unit kept getting hotter instead of cooler. We later found out that the tubing was crimped and the water was not flowing correctly. We fixed that and the unit started working wonderfully.

We read the other reviews that complain about the slow leaks in the pad. Ours does not leak so far, but we did add a waterproof mattress pad in case it does. We do not want to ruin our mattress. Replacement pads are about 10-12% of the total price, so getting a new one every 3-5 years would not be too much trouble. I just hope that the control units do not have problems.

I would highly recommend this product to anyone that has differing temperature requirements than their significant other or just wants to sleep in a consistent temperature range. I do not regret this purchase and have not slept this well in many, many years. I would not hesitate to buy this product again.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have updated my review and rating of this product because much has changed in regard to my feelings about the Chilipad, and the issues I was having. I was angry at having to buy a new replacement pad every 6 months or so due to leakage of the pad itself (condensation), and after a while of this, one can lose their sense of humor. When I wrote my original review, I was very disappointed with the company that makes this product, as it was costing us a fortune in replacement pads. A lot of time, money, and aggravation.

The one thing I had always felt about this product (even when I was rather angry) is that it is truly genius in so many ways. It addresses a very serious issue out there for so many of us who truly depend on this product to fall asleep at night and stay asleep. I am dealing with a very rare and aggressive form of cancer, and with the many surgeries, and treatments I have undergone, I was miserable in a new bed that I had purchased (mattress was old and falling apart, and as sick as I have become, I genuinely needed an adjustable bed anyway).

Nobody warned me about memory foam and how it makes your bed feel like an oven. Not only that, but the new mattresses being sold out there are extremely toxic (do your own research by googling the subject, and your eyes will be as wide as saucers). Mattress manufacturers were forced to add materials that are extremely toxic to make mattresses flame retardant now due to the new FDA mandated laws, and chemically sensitive people like myself, can actually feel our eyes burning and get headaches from the fumes from one of these new mattresses. It was a nightmare there for a while (I did not have $4000.00 for an organic mattress, and it would have to work with an adjustable bed).

I was forced into having to encase my mattress in plastic only adding to the heat of my new bed, but at least my eyes no longer burned, and I could breathe. I was burning up at night from all the heat and could not sleep. I did not know what to do. I tried every product out there to help cool the bed off. I did everything I could think of to try and stay cool at night, but I would lay awake miserable night after night.

I finally came across this product and it sounded like a dream come true. It was pricey, but after one night with it, I realized that it was worth it's weight in gold. To slip into a cooled bed that stays cool throughout the night was just incredible for me. I was so excited and told many friends and family about this invention, as I had never heard of a product like this before. It cools your sheets and everything and even gets almost too icy if you get carried away with the remote and your setting. You can also use it to make your bed warm during the winter, but I never used that feature, as I feel like I am always burning up (and the fevers I have from dealing with cancer doesn't help matters).

I started to get leaks after only 5-6 months, and after having to replace the pads, one after another, I was now feeling angry and frustrated. I kept replacing them as it was better than going back to that nightmarish oven again. I am happy to say that they listened to the consumers who were also having this issue and revamped their pads! I am using one that I bought months back that would have normally leaked by now, but it has held up beautifully! I even put it underneath my mattress pad again so that I would not feel the coils of the silicone tubing, and I am still not getting leaks, and it's just as cool as I had it before (you just need to lower the temperature a bit if you are doing what I chose to do).

Not everyone feels the little coils in the pad that keeps your bed cool, but I am very sensitive, and keeping it underneath the mattress pad makes this perfect for me, as I feel nothing now, and yet stay incredibly cool throughout the night. The new pads are thicker, and more water resistant, and most importantly, they last! I honestly don't know what I would do without this product. I admittedly wake up immediately if it shuts off. I can feel the heat, and begin to sweat, and thankfully have my remote right next to me in bed, and I merely turn it back on again (it has a 12 hour timer, but if your lose your power in the night due to a storm or something, it does shut off).

They are coming out with a new version completely in less than a month, which sounds very exciting, and it seems like they have done more than just update the pad! I also had an issue recently in regard to my control unit (I have had it for almost three years without incident otherwise) and was pleasantly surprised with the kind and caring help I received. They really do put their heart into this thing, and realize that most people do not buy this for luxury, but for medical reasons. They know that many disorders and illnesses out there require cooling to help people sleep, and without sleep, the world is a darker place. People can change, situations can change, and obviously, they have made some wonderful changes to an already magnificent idea. I am truly impressed and felt that it warranted an updated review. Hope this helps someone out there, who is reading mixed reviews, make a decision. I was pretty angry out here before, but they have addressed those issues, and the product is a dream now! Sweet dreams and God Bless......
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 23, 2013
I suffer from night sweating. I run my AC in the summer at about 72F to help but still wake up at night wet from sweating. It is very unpleasant.

The Chilipad has been a big help. I haven't had it but about a week but now run the AC at 76F (a significant difference on power use) and experience minimal sweating. It appears to me that the unit is only capable of about a 10F vs room temperature differential, at least in the cooling mode. I haven't had need or tried the heating mode and may never do so.

I read reviews regarding leak issues, fan noise and feeling the coiling coils. To me the fan noise is very minimal and yes, I feel the coils but that's also minimal and not uncomfortable at all. Only time will tell on the leaks but so far, I am very pleased with the product.

One recommendation: buy the extension tubes. I found I could not possibly place the cooling/heating units as specified without them. And I also found that sheets could not be properly tucked if the pad was orientated with the tubes at the foot end.
on May 7, 2014
I purchased the king-sized version of this product, with two separate controllers. Set-up is quite easy, and maintenance is not burdensome.

I crank down the thermostat on the ChiliPad to its lowest temperature of 46 degrees. And sure enough, when I get into the bed, it's delightfully chilly, just like I like it. My body generates more heat than the surface of the sun, and can fairly be described as nuclear fusion. So the chilipad feels nice at first. But my body heat is able to overcome the chilliness of the pad to the point where it no longer feels as chilly unless I move to a different section of the bed. The thermostat reading confirms that this is happening, as it records that the water temperature rises to about 60+ degrees. So for a nuclear reactor like me, the product cannot keep up completely, though it still does cool the bed more than if I did not have the pad. I am still happy to rate it 4 stars because it's a ton better than nothing, and some mornings I wake up cold -- a delightful sensation. So I do recommend this product.

Just keep in mind that the control / condenser units are about the size of a 1987 VCR, and have to be placed right next to the bed, so the 3 or 4 foot piping will reach the pad. Visually that's not ideal, but you could stow them under the bed during the day. And in any event, it's so worth it to sleep comfortably.
on July 21, 2013
Having had 4 back surgeries in the last 5 years I don't know where I would have been without my chili pad. The ability to control my mattress temperature has been a life saver for me.
If you are having back surgery, install the pad before you go in and get used to using it, You will be for ever thankful when you come back from the hospital. I keep my mattress at 62, which is perfect for me.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 21, 2015
We use the previous model in a temperate climate - and it heats hot and cools cold. It's noisy on the coldest settings, but it would be too cold to leave it on that setting all night. We have a king size. I cannot tell you how great these things are - when they are working of course... But...after one year my side broke. No - it was not under the bed - and it broke while not being used for a month. I paid the $40 shipping (from Canada), and it was returned in some weeks. 2015, 4 months outside of warranty, it broke again. I pleaded with them about the $129 repair charge, which they eventually said they would waive ONLY if the problem was the same. Since I was previously told they had "no repair notes" that must be company-speak for being nice to me. However, they have no replacement units (or parts: pads, hoses), so they can only repair mine. Now I'm really stuck - my unit is only 2 years old and no parts, and if they repair it, it will just break again! So I looked inside: R27 (52 ohms) was over-heated. I also found from their previous repair: a screw was stripped (making it really difficult to open), they only fixed part of the problem (because it broke again), and though I haven't confirmed it, they seemed to have bypassed the water level sensing, because that does not appear to work either. So here I am - I know it will just break again - this one's a lemon - and soon, at my (great) expense, I will need to buy a new one. And that is their "company policy" I was told. Should they wish to change that policy (now that I've told my story in a bad review), my serial number is 1247-B.
on July 2, 2014
I really like the Chilipad. If you sleep on a hot memory foam mattress, this is almost a necessity. Even the gel-infused mattresses will eventually get hot during the night. A couple of points to keep in mind:

If you are wanting to make your bed cooler than the room temperature, the Chilipad will need to dissipate the heat somewhere, in this case, into your bedroom air. So your bed will be cooler, but your bedroom will get warmer. The unit does put out some warm air when it is cooling the bed.

The speed at which it cools the bed can take a while. I set mine for 69 degrees, and turn on the Chilipad about an hour before I go to bed. If I had wanted to set my Chilipad to say 50 degrees, it would take another hour or two to reach that temperature.

Some people have complained about the noise. I haven't had any noise issues. However, I've noticed that the fan speed depends upon how much cooling the Chilipad is trying to do. If the current water temperature is 70, and you're just trying to cool the bed one degree, the fan will run slowly and quietly. if you are trying to cool the bed several degrees, the fan will run a little faster, and automatically slow down as it approaches the desired temperature.

The controls are not exactly intuitive. The unit can be programmed t ocahnge temperature during the night, for people who need a cool bed to fall asleep, then like it warmer after they have fallen asleep. Take a minute to read the instructions, or you might accidentally set it to change temperature automatically.