5.0 out of 5 stars The Irrationality Of Violence And Its Consequences........
Published 10 months ago by Bob James

3.0 out of 5 stars As a life long Clive Barker fan...
... I'm curious to see where his next works take us. Chiliad has all the typical Barker genius of any of his short stories, but he continues in the same vein as in Mister B Gone with attempts at breaking the fourth wall which I actually found distracting. Still, this is a must have for any Barker fan.
Published 8 months ago by Newton

5.0 out of 5 stars The Irrationality Of Violence And Its Consequences........, February 12, 2014
This book surprised me. I have read and enjoyed many of Clive Barker's other works, but this one is of a very different stripe. The thread, travelling within a tale woven (or indeed, is it?) by a writer who in perpetuity, observes a river that flows backwards and forwards in time. The interconnection of violence, of violent acts begetting other violence, other violent acts, passed forward and backward, consequences seemingly unstoppable. I won't spoil anything with specifics here, but the multiple characters journeys here (created by the writer, or merely observed?) encompass tragedy, loss, and the quest for retribution. Or is it redemption? The Chiliad is the thousand year period when Christ will return to create His theocracy on the terrestrial plane of the earth. The irrationality of violence begets the revelation of the need for redemption, for the blind irrationality can often misplace guilt, or be visited upon others that are not guilty of the atrocity the retribution is meant to answer. The one that delivers the blow can in the end, turn out to be not so different from the one upon whom it is struck. This is thought provoking reading, in the most evocative sense. A river well and truly worth diving into.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing Read, May 20, 2014
Chilead, for me, harkens back to Barker's Books of Blood era. It is an elegant and poetic exploration of the persistence of violence, told in Mr. Barker's grand guignol style of horror fiction. I enjoyed it immensely and found myself pondering the themes of the work after finishing it-- always a sign of a good story! I deducted one star from my review because it was a bit overwrought in places, language-wise, especially the "time is like a river" metaphor that went on for a couple pages early on. Felt like he was hammering on that one a bit too long. Despite that, this story transported me to that special country in horror fiction that is both beautiful and foreboding. Now finish the Scarlet Gospels, for God's sake!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's been too long, March 14, 2014
It's been much too long since I've read anything new by Clive Barker and Chiliad: A Meditation made me realize just how much I've missed his introspective, poetic stories. I find his fiction is more intelligently spiritual and full of truth than most books that are in the non fiction spirituality section, think Sacrament.

This story touches on some of the horrors of humanity and the futility of trying to figure out the whys and of man's inhumanity to man and beast. There is also the burning desire for redemption, but not all are lucky enough to receive it in whatever form it may come.

Anyone who likes Clive Barker cannot help but appreciate this short story.

My only criticism is that I want more, and I suppose that is not a criticism at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, November 8, 2014
It was beautifully written as all of Barker's books are, however there was a lack of direction that he's never possessed before. In this lack of direction there is a certain charm of the middle aged and wondering mind searching for the passion of youth as many of us do after reaching our thirtieth year of life. So once again praise to a master of our craft.

3.0 out of 5 stars As a life long Clive Barker fan..., April 15, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars A Different Clive, August 15, 2014
Clive Barker, as I have not read him before, is reflective and not as gory. An interesting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right, May 12, 2014
This review is from: Chiliad: A Meditation (Hardcover)
I love Barker's books, but I rarely have time to devote to his better works. This was a perfect flight book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lastest Clive Barker, February 13, 2014
This review is from: Chiliad: A Meditation (Hardcover)
I always look forward to anything this author releases, this book did not disappoint me. very deep. I highly recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not My Favorite Barker Book., March 29, 2014
This review is from: Chiliad: A Meditation (Hardcover)
I'm a huge fan of Clive Barker. His world building skills are second to none. I didn't feel this was a book I could recommend to others. And I have all of his books.

Chiliad: A Meditation
Chiliad: A Meditation by Clive Barker (Hardcover - January 31, 2014)
Used & New from: $82.99