5.0 out of 5 stars Cooling Vest and Motorcycles
Published on August 5, 2010 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars works great for about a week
I bought a few of these for my crew...we work in the rockies on a ranch...it's HOT!!!
For the first week they were a God send. Did as they were advertised.
Then the gel just stopped absorbing water.
I thought we got a bad batch. So i returned them to the manufacturer and they sent me new ones. Thanks you hyperkewl!!!
Again They were awsome...a week...
Published 18 months ago by magic

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooling Vest and Motorcycles, August 5, 2010
I bought this vest from direct vendor a couple of years ago to wear during the sweltering hot months here in southern Kentucky (100 degree + temps plus high humidity). It works as advertised cooling me and allowing me to ride at times I couldn't before due to the heat. The manufacturer advertises that it will last at least 5 hours before needing recharged but I find that I need to recharge mine every hour to two hours in real life (probably due to the wind causing faster evaporation on a motorcycle). I have also found that it works best when worn over a tee shirt and under my Joe Rocket Mesh (Phoenix) riding jacket as it slows evaporation a little while riding and still keeps me cool. I have also found that my tee shirt (and the top of my riding pants) are damp after/while wearing this vest but personally do not find this uncomfortable. I would suggest that riders consider getting the vest with the Mandarin collar (I got the one without) to help cool around the neck and to help prevent sunburn on the neck on the skin between where the top of your jacket and the bottom of your helmet occurs. I am finding that I wear this vest when outdoors and off the bike as well when the weather conditions are hot and otherwise brutal. This is among the best money I have spent to allow me to ride during the hot summer months. It also works during the fall and spring riding seasons for extra warming beneath your riding jacket if you don't charge it with water. All in all, I would purchase this vest again without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent Cooling at a good price., August 13, 2010
About what I expected, and pretty close to the mainstream of reviews.
It's a little slicky when first used a time or two.
Doesn't do quite as well in high humidity, but it's better than nothing concerning the
high humidity.
Be sure and not over-wet the vest as it can seep down onto your legs.
Evaporative effects last a good 4 hours.
Decent price.
Would buy again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for motorcycles, June 1, 2010
I bought this to use riding my motorcycle. It works very well and stays wet and cool for several hours in 95+ weather in Texas. It does have a slimmy film on the exterior when wetting down, but does disappear after drying. I would suggest wearing under a light shirt.

1.0 out of 5 stars works great for about a week, June 28, 2013
For the first week they were a God send. Did as they were advertised.
Then the gel just stopped absorbing water.
Again They were awsome...a week passed. They failed again.

now they work like a wet paper towl. For about 20 minutes.
I would buy this product again if the cooling gel would last.

Note: One of my crew made one last by keeping it wet all the time.
He would put it in a 5 gallon bucket of water over night and it lasted for a whole summer.
But he brought it out of storage and Junk!!!!

So happy shopping!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars It works but don't read instructions!, August 10, 2012
This review is from: Chill-Its 6665 Evaporative Cooling Vest (Tools & Home Improvement)
This product actually works. The only problem is absolutely do not follow the instructions which were obviously written by someone who has never touched the product. The instructions tell you to soak in a bucket of water for several minutes. Do this and you have about 20 pounds of sopping wet vest that you definitely will not put on. A competitor with basically the same vest (who charges about $80 more!) got it right. Soak in a bucket, etc of clean water but NO MORE THAN 10 SECONDS MAX! Remove it from the bucket and VERY LIGHTLY squeeze some of the water out. You can pat it dry with a towel if you like. It worked fantastic outside even though the humidity was about 80%. I placed it in my vehicle after using it where it stayed for about a day. It was still retaining moisture (a good thing). The only problem is it had started to "sour" (like a damp towel that wasn't hung to dry) so I couldn't use it right away. Washed it by hand with some hand soap, rinsed, lightly wrung it out, and hung up overnight. It was ready to go again the next day. I definitely plan on using it the next time I work on my truck in the heat or cut the grass. Very happy with this purchase and the price was far below simular products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Does the job!, June 14, 2012
Okay ... I've only used this vest once, so keep that in mind as you peruse the reviews.

I train dogs. In Phoenix, AZ. And it's HOT. I make sure my dogs are taken care of: cool coats, GoDog, portable fans, spray bottles ... but I didn't take care of myself.

I've used this vest only one time so far. I soaked it, put it in a cooler, and then then put it on at 6:45pm. Temp: 102F. I kept in on throughout both dog obedience classes and didn't take it off until 10pm. It was still cool!

When I took it off, I hung it over the shower rod to dry and the next morning, it was STILL cool!

This vest is a keeper. Even soaked, it is lightweight and manageable. My dog training classes are very athletic and the vest didn't weigh me down at all. I absolutely felt an improvement over the nights when I was spraying myself with water, trying to make it through two classes. My training buddies kept coming over to feel the vest and couldn't believe how cool it was throughout the entire evening.

I'm sure it will NOT be as effective in higher humidity. This vest makes use of the evaporative cooling system so high humidity is going to put a damper on the cooling effect. But ... right now, I'm a happy camper.

I purchased a Large ... I wear a 16-18 size top. It fits nicely - doesn't bind - perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fishing in the Rain Forest of Brazil, October 14, 2011
I found this cooling vest by chance while looking for something else. I travel to the Rain Forest in Brazil to fish for the mighty peacock bass each year. The mornings are nice, but the afternoons are brutally hot as you are right on the Equator. This product does exactly what it says it will. Keeps your body cool. Usually I have to jump in the river each afternoon and lie in the water until my body cools off. Not anymore. With the cooling vest, just wet it as it says and put it on and continue fishing. I was a little skeptical at first, but this thing WORKS!!!! I highly recommend this product for anyone spending a lot of time in the tropics fishing or whatever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool vest!, September 5, 2012
The Chill-Its evaporative vest works as advertised. I used it during outdoor work this summer in very hot and humid conditions. I soaked it in cool water for a few minutes, then wrung out some of the water. Note, it's pretty heavy when you first wear it, since it's saturated with water. But it gets lighter as the water evaporates to keep you cool. I found the cooling effect lasts 5 or 6 hours. YMMV.

The vest definitely works, but note that the shirt you wear under it is going to get wet and your skin may feel somewhat clammy. Nevertheless, that's better than suffering heat exhaustion or heat stroke!

After using the vest several days in a row, the vest developed a slight funky odor. Probably unavoidable. I rinsed it out (using no soap or detergent) and let it dry in the sun - that seemed to take care of the problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great... no problems, July 8, 2011
The zipper is on the wrong side but you get used to it.
I use it EVERY day at work. I am in direct sunlight most of the day seven days a week. This vest charges very fast and lasts for hours.
When this one wears out, I will buy another one just like it.
It makes a 100 degree Tennessee day very, very bearable. On a motorcycle ride, it makes me smile.... a lot.
Have a cool day!

Amazon service was perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tips for using this vest, July 17, 2013
I have been using this vest for about a month. I have MS and can't take the heat. It works great. Just use common sense and experiment with it. If you don't expect miracles, the vest will serve you well.
#1) Use your washing machine to soak it (for as long as you want), then spin dry it. Easy! It will not drip if you spin it long enough. You should experiment with soak and spin time to your liken. It eliminates the hand wringing, which is a hassle and results in poor and uneven distribution of water.
#2) If you are going to use the vest later but will not be near water, then, do the soaking at home and put it in a plastic bag. It will hold the moisture until you are ready to use it. I tried this once. After about 8 hours, it was just a wet as when I soaked it. However, it did develop a musty smell. But it was still worth it. Better yet, buy a spare vest. Wear one out the door, and use the spare later on.
#3) Use the vest in place of air conditioning. In my home, 80 feels like 70, while wearing this vest.

Chill-Its 6665 Evaporative Cooling Vest