5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent history book
Published on February 11, 2010 by L. Z

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Readable History
Published 9 months ago by L. Schneemann

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent history book, February 11, 2010
This review is from: China: A History (Paperback)
I've been doing some research on Chinese history and found Dr. Tanner's book extremely useful. The book is very well written and provides a very comprehensive historical account of China from the early empire to the current day. His book is based on extensive research and he has a very good understanding of Chinese literature and art. Tanner has also compiled a bibliography on Chinese history, which can be very useful if you want to do further research on the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, December 17, 2013
Just what I was looking for. A through but not arcane recounting of the history of China reflecting the latest scholarship but readable by the interested amateur. Rather better than the Fairbanks book, in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective & to the point, considering the scope of the subject matter, October 21, 2013
This review is from: China: A History (Volume 1): From Neolithic Cultures through the Great Qing Empire, (10,000 BCE - 1799 CE) (Paperback)
Helps understand what we now call China as the multidimensional, millenary civilization/region it is & how that gradually evolved.

Offers a background to place various ideas the modern PRC & modern Han insist on, real or made-believe.

The text is intertwine wit occasional maps & images, right there on topic instead of in some appendage later in the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Readable History, March 10, 2014
L. Schneemann (San Luis Obispo, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This book covers the history of China to about 1800. I'm not a big fan of reading history, but I wanted to know more about Chinese history, recognizing what a huge subject that is and how little I knew about it previously. This book was just what I was looking for. It covers the key people, the expanding/shrinking empires, major culture trends, and of course the history, at a deep enough level so it made sense, but not so deep that I got lost in it. It's somewhat confusing, but that's more do to the complexity of the subject matter and my ignorance than any fault of the book. I would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easily read, inspires further reading, June 13, 2014
Informative easily read first overview for an amateur like me! Can recommend for first time readers of China history. Just go ahead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the read!, November 18, 2014
Came away with a better appreciation the sweep of Chinese history. Many uncomfortable parallels with modern America and our destructive political infighting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, October 23, 2014
great overview of the dynasties

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive., July 21, 2013
This is my first book about Chinese history. It pretty much covers everything from the stone age all the way up until the 1800's. I haven't finished it yet (about 85%) but I have already learned quite a bit about Chinese history and culture. It's a little difficult to follow everything however since there is just so much history, and the fact that its hard to remember Chinese names and locations (for me at least). I plan on purchasing the next book that continues from the 1800's to the present day after I'm done reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reading, May 15, 2013
Enough detail to let you feel the flavor, but so clearly written that one never feels overwhelmed. I recommend it highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, July 19, 2014
Such a rich and vast history.. a great read and very thorough.

$21.00 $19.95