5.0 out of 5 stars I love this cookbook!
It covers many of the rice and noodle dishes that are very popular for lunch, snack and dinner/cafe crowds. A very good book; it includes a handful of dessert dishes and it also covers popular and well known noodle and rice dishes from all over China. A definite must have if you love chinese rice and noodles.

Ground pork with Beijing sauce over rice, Three...
Published on November 14, 2005 by Phoenix

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better
Published on September 23, 2008 by cinders

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this cookbook!, November 14, 2005
This review is from: Chinese Rice and Noodles: With Appetizers, Soups and Sweets (Wei-Chuan Cookbook) (Chinese and English Edition) (Paperback)

Ground pork with Beijing sauce over rice, Three sauce chicken with rice, Savory meat sauce over rice, Braised beef over rice, Braised pigs feet over rice, Ma-po tofu over rice, Lions head on rice, Baked seafood rice, Hainan chicken rice, Taiwanese sticky rice, Cantonese clay pot sausage and rice, Taiwanese fried rice, Curry fried rice, Thousand year old eggs with pork congee, Beef congee, Chicken sesame noodles, Sechwan dan-dan noodles, Chi-ah noodle soup, Dan-tze noodles, Braised beef noodle soup, Beef hot pot with noodles, Braised yee-fu noodles, Double face golden noodles, Taiwanese fried noodles, Sa-tsa beef with noodles, Sesame flavored somen, Chinese chicken salad, Braised beef shank in soy sauce, Cantonese bbq pork, Taro tapioca with coconut milk, Creamy roasted black sesame, Almond jello, Boba milk tea.

This is just some of the recipes that are in this very nice book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and Simple, May 2, 2007
I am chinese but grew up in US. Even though I do eat american food often I still miss good chinese food. Now that I moved away from my mother, I needed to cook something chinese myself and for my husband, so we turn to Wei Chuan. We have Wei chuan Thai book, Mexican and Sichuan book already and we like this series very much because it has concise steps, and makes great food. This book is no exception. I have already made 2 dishes from the book since 1 week ago we bought the book. We made Pork and Mustard Veg with noodle, and we made Lion's Head, and also our favorite dish, 3 sauces (or cups) chicken. All turned out pretty well and with preparation time and cooking all over 1 hour.

Tonight we are going to cook another one of my favorite that my mom cooks all the time, the Red Cooked Pork. There are actually many recipes in the book that are easy to follow and don't require that many exotic ingredients. IN fact we have most of the ingridents already before we went to the asian grocery to get some additional meats. (pork shoulder and minced pork). These days I am just tired of eating fatty greasy american food, and craves for some good simple chinese food that dosen't take too long to cook or prepare. This book is perfect and I am sure we will be using it a lot along with our Thai and mexican book.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, May 2, 2007
I purchased this book along with some other Chinese cookbook and I have to say nothing compares to this book. Everything is simply described and easy to understand. There are pictures of every recipe and she also gives variations to recipes. My favorites are the wontons, so easy to make, and the Three Sauce Chicken, again so easy and delicious. I am sure in a few weeks that will change :)

I could not do without this book in my kitchen, I use it every day. This book is amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best cookbooks I have, May 29, 2007
Chinese_Cook "chinese_cook" (San Francisco Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
I love this cookbook because it contains pictures of every dish that's in the book, the instructions are easy and simple to follow, and most importantly, the dishes are authentic Chinese food from the south to the north of China. We're Cantonese and we're tired of cooking cantonese at home so this book gave us more menu options. I have to say, with some experience in chinese cooking, this book contains some recipes that we already knew. But I think it'll be useful to those who doesn't have much experience in Chinese cooking because it contains basic information about the type of noodles, vegetable herbs and spices.

I was a bit disappointed with the dessert section as it only contain 10 recipes and we already knew how to cook most of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine Chinese, February 21, 2008
Lineylambsmum (S. Overland Park, Kansas) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book from Amazon last week and am already using it all the time. I grew up in Taiwan and wanted to make recipes that were genuine chinese. My mother always used the Wei Chuan cookbooks so when I found this one I had to have it. It's been a real treat. My sister and I looked at the recipes and reminisced about our childhood and all the yummy dishes we missed, many of which are in this book. The Kung Pao chicken alone made the book worth buying. The recipes are easy and don't call for a lot of ingredients. There is also lots of variety between the meat dishes, noodles, soups, fried rice and dessert recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious!, January 17, 2008
Pi-E (Oregon USA) - See all my reviews
If you love to cook, this book is worth having. The recipes are written very clearly, the pictures look so great you want to take a bite out of the page. I have tried many different Chinese cookbooks in the past, this one beats them all. Just for the Kung Pao Chicken and the Beef and Pepper Sauce alone makes this book worth having. The author also tells you how some recipes originated, e.g., Kung Pao means "Royal Teacher to the Prince," this recipe was named after Ding Bao Zhen after being promoted to that position in the Qing Dynasty. Little tidbits like this I find fun and fascinating! You don't need a wok to prepare the recipes, I use a nonstick 12-inch skillet and the recipes come out great. Very easy to prepare. The trick is to have all the ingredients measured and handy when you are about to cook, because everything cooks so fast. My husband said he'll never eat take-out again!

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, September 23, 2008
cinders (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I am a big fan of the Weichuan cookbook series (maybe because my mom based her cooking on them when I was growing up) but was a little disappointed by this one. I was not expecting such a large section about dishes served over rice, but rather more recipes using rice and noodles as a central ingredient. Having said that, a lot of the staples are in here so it still serves a handy reference manual (I tend to improvise and add more ingredients than suggested, using the recipes in this book just as a general guide).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook, July 25, 2010
Michael D (Takoma Park, MD USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The whole Weichuan series is great (I have most of them), but for me, this is the most useful. More than half of the recipes involve noodle dishes, and there are many subtle techniques which are nearly impossible to learn from other cookbooks. In particular, many noodle stirfries involve adding back liquid, and there are many noodle soup variations that differ in their use of stock, meats and noodles. I don't have much to add other than what other reviewers have noted, other than to add my positive vote.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous and Easy, August 23, 2007
Workaholic (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This is the latest cookbook from my collection of cookbooks by Mrs. Su-Huei Huang. She makes cooking authentic Chinese food almost effortless. If you have limited time, but enjoy cooking at home, this is the perfect cookbook for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love rice and noodles, you will love this book written by the Chinese themself! Can't be better!, July 10, 2009
Professor Per Gade (COPENHAGEN-LONDON-TOKYO) - See all my reviews
Chinese Cuisine. Rice & Noodles. By Su-Huei Huang and Mu-Tsun Lee

More that 174 pages of wonderful food with step-by-step Chinese and Enlish text and colour photos to guide you through each recipe.

Mrs. Su-Huei Huang established the "Wei-Chuan Cooking School" in Taiwan in 1963 together with Mr. Mu-Tsun Lee, chief professor of Chinese culinary cooking, now a resident of Japan. More than 200.000 students from Taiwan and other countries have matriculated in this school throughout the years and many of the graduates have become successful restaurant owners or chefs all over the world.

Something from the history from China:
In Taiwan the cooking tradition going back to "The ruling Emperers of China" and their Royal kitchen and cooks". This fine art of cooking was lost in China during the revolution. However when the famous general, later President "Chiang Kai-shek" (''' / ''') escaped in 1949 from mainland China to Taiwan with thousands of the upper class and the former Chinese government officials, they also included some famous Chefs from The Imperial Kitchen. During the time of the Emperors power in China they were never allowed to write down any Royal recepies, or to give them away. The recepies were only for the Emperor and his entourage. Those who gave away recepies lost their heads..., very quickly.... Those Chinese who came to Taiwan brought with them many old and great Chinese cooking traditions which have fortunately survived.

The Publisher:
The wonderful cooking school "Wei-Chuan Cooking School" in Taiwan has published a whole series of wonderful cookbooks. Lee Wha Lim have written more than 19 different books covering food from all the different regions of China.

And all his books are excellent!!! - They are all written in two languages English and Chinese. Each dish is described in preparations, step by step, explaining everything in English and is so crystal clear and easy to understand that one would wish that many western cookbooks couls be that concise.

This cook book:
All the major parts of China is representated in this fine cooking book (Szechwan, Cantonese, Beijing, Shanghai and Taiwanese).
And it start explaining about the different types of rice and noodles you can buy, and with photos in colour so you can relate to the different types. Then there is a comprehensive chapter on different kind of cooking oils, frequents used spices and dried goods, as well as vegetables and herbs, meats and vegetables and stocks.

You will learn how to shop, prepare all food and ingridiences, step by step and you will learn how to cut the meat and seafood the correct way. You will learn how to prepare rice in several different ways from boid to steamed and fried, etc.

If you love rice and noodles, you will also love this book. It is one of the best books I have seen and it is written by the Chinese themself! Can't be better.

PER GADE
Denmark, England, USA & Japan.
Music Professor,
author of 56 books,
prize winner in international cooking and gourmand food,
for friends and special parties