5.0 out of 5 stars "The clouds pass and the rain does its work...
Published on January 30, 2000 by Susan Byers

3.0 out of 5 stars The Book Of Changes
A more technical book that gives a thorough history of the I Ching, how it was used in Ancient China and contains multiple interpretations for each of the 64 hexagrams. Moving lines are defined within the definition of each hexagram with more of the ancient poetics included and the readings are probably closer to the original texts of yesteryear. Definitions of the...
Published on April 6, 2008 by Matthew Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars "The clouds pass and the rain does its work..., January 30, 2000
This review is from: The I Ching, or, Book of Changes (Bollingen Series XIX) (Hardcover)
...and all individual beings flow into their forms." The I Ching is a book in that it has pages and printed text, but it is also an actual, living oracle, with its roots in antiquity and fresh leaves emerging every spring. It can tell you how you are doing, where you are headed if you continue in this way, and what you might do to change the course of your destiny if you don't like the results. I have had a deep relationship -- and that is precisely what it becomes -- with this book for almost 30 years, and it has never betrayed me. I have thrown it across the room in anger; I have approached it, trembling, on my knees, with my most profound existential fears and questions; I have wept with relief, or shivered with guilt at its answers and advice. It has seen through my confusion, stroked my forehead, slapped my cheek, poked me in the ribs. It has been kind or cold, bestowed blessings or blame, as was deemed cosmically necessary. It will reward even the casual visitor with wisdom and a way to be happier and more successful in this life.
I have heard many complaints about this particular edition of the I Ching. Apparantly, some people feel that it is "muddy," or encrusted somehow with the translator's limitations. However, I have read or used more than ten other versions, and the Wilhelm/Baynes remains the benchmark for them all. They all rest on a knowledge of the Wilhelm/Baynes version to provide the screen upon which their translation is projected. None are so thorough, and none provide the glorious, exalted poetry of the original. For example, Confucius says of one of the lines in the 13th hexagram, Fellowship with Men:
"Life leads the thoughtful man on a path of many windings. Now the course is checked, now it runs straight again. Here winged thoughts may pour freely forth in words, There the heavy burden of knowledge must be shut away in silence. But when two people are at one in their inmost hearts, They shatter even the strength of iron or of bronze. And when two people are at one in their inmost hearts, Their words are sweet and strong, like the fragrance of orchids."
Some people find parts of the direct translations too wierd: "Penetration under the bed. Priests and magicians are used in great number." "The flying bird leaves him." "There is a large fruit still uneaten." But these poetic images have always had a striking impact on my subconscious, helping me to fathom the deeper meanings of the hexagrams and individual lines, and giving me a much richer depth of understanding. I find the use of many other translations valuable, and always appreciate the different highlights and perspective, but I used the Wilhelm/Baynes edition exclusively for many years and still consider it my primary resource. It is the one book -- of any kind -- that I would take with me to the proverbial desert island, if I could only take one. Don't hesitate to buy this book; you will never regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a divination tool; A Key to understanding the Self, October 26, 1998
Those approaching the "I Ching" for the first time are generally looking for that tool of divination that will fortell the future. Sorry to say, the "I Ching" is not for them. It is for the student of the self seeking to find a key to self-understanding, and a knowledge that things "change." The "I Ching" is, after all, the "Book of Changes." This particular volume is the definitive translation and commentary on the hexagrams, and the serious student will learn more about him/herself than about an uncertain and changing future. Because, you see, the future is not fixed. The individual controls his/her own destiny. For the newcomer to Eastern philosophy, or the initiate to the mysteries, Baynes masterful and insightful translations and commentaries (along with some delightful comments by Carl Jung), make this edition of the "I Ching" an invaluable addition to the shelf of any person seeking spiritual enlightenment, as well as a greater understanding of the "self" within us all.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Standard by which the Others are Measured, November 9, 2001
Thomas F. Ogara (Jacksonville, FL USA) - See all my reviews
There are a considerable number of translations of the Yi Jing on the market. For my money, this is still the benchmark. It is true that it is old, and it was a translation of a German version, but such things are not all that unusual in the world of translating; to date, the best all-around Arabic-English Dictionary - the Wehr-Cowan - is a German translation.
People use this version for divination, but I feel that Wilhelm's translation is primarily a text for studying and meditation, and I find the depth of his version still surpasses any other that I have seen. If you consider the Yi Jing to be a serious book, you should obtain this translation, if only to supplement your understanding of the matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unending Wisdom at Your Disposition., September 8, 2004
I was set into the path of The I Ching in an unusual way: by reading a sci-fi classic "The Man in the High Castle". The I Ching is used all along that interesting book and my curiosity was aroused.
I've started reading the first translation I was able to catch. Then I bought William Legge's translation. Finally I discovered Wilhem's translation and I was amazed.
So many deep commentaries & explanations! It was and is a delightful experience
The fact that Wilhem was a Christian missionary do not diminish the insightful lessons, it make them more understandable for Westerners that as myself have a Christian background.

This is not a book to read lightly, is full of ancient wisdom and each hexagram is discussed lengthily.
When used for divination many meaningful paths are at your disposition. You must be patient and read each answer more than once. The Book of Changes will never fail you. May be sometimes it will let you baffled. May be other times the answers are not the ones you were expecting. But if you put your questions in writing and date them as I did, you'll see how accurate the answers were, and even if at the moment you are not able to understand them, after a time they will be clear for you.
An extra feature is Carl G. Jung's foreword, it gives the reader a very short & compact introduction to the significance of this book and also how you can use it.

Afterwards I have collected some other versions and translation of this amazing book, but Wilhem's remains unsurpassed.
Reviewed by Max Yofre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chinese classic in exquisite English, repays infinite study, October 23, 2001
I have been using this now-classic translation of the Book of Changes as a divinatory tool since 1968. Profoundly, elegantly transmitted from the literary Chinese, through Helmut Wilhelm's Goethe-quoting German, and finally into spiritually delicious English prose by the gifted Carey Baynes. A great pleasure of this volume is that you can sense all three aesthetic layers very clearly. This is the most-used book in my library. I'll admit, it gets a too deep sometimes. I've seen people burn their I Ching's when the truth got a little too intense for them. But if you want a sophisticated, accurate, and reliable divinatory tool that repays infinite sincere study, this is the best book in English. If I had only one book to bring to a desert island, this would be the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just wisdom & divination..., July 22, 2007
This I Ching is an essential tool of those seeking 'God' - in eclectic form. The I Ching orders one's life... so that God may speak back to you (2-way prayer, if you will)... and to send you on a life-long journey.
Or you can just dabble.

For those coming from a scientific or agnostic skeptiszm, this book allows you to prove for yourself the emperical existance of God. Even for the scientific atheist. Really!
How?
With constant use of the I Ching an obvious question results -"Who's messing around with the coins... these things are supposed to be coming out randomly?". And you might you suppose to just whom the 'Who's" refers.

One sees that the very act of random throwing coins begins to defy probability theory. Hexagrams are received just too strikingly close to reality and certainly not randomly distributed...and I taught college level statistics and experimental methods. In my lifetime I have probably "cast the coins" upwards of 300,000 times... bit i am very old.

Record the time, date and circumstance of each throw with a graded value (1 - 10) of how close to your reality the reading relates. The resulting scattergram will astound you... into accepting that there is more to this thing than meets even the 'inner eye'. You are in touch with something that sees right through you to your inner most thoughts. And then can proceed to "arrange your everyday world".
Godspeed my felow travellers.
Godspeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 2nd Ed. I have had from 1970 is a roadmap of my life, November 24, 1998
I got this book in 1970 as a young from a dear friend that graduated Haight Ashbury. I started using it as a lark, and marked my address in the back cover. In the next 27 years it has been with me everywhere I went. It took me ten yrs to memorize every hexagram, line, every commentary. The addresses in the back cover spread to the filler pages and the inside of the front cover. The cover disintegrated within 15 years, the binding came apart in the next five years, first being held together by a couple of threads, and then as a well piled and ordered collection in a couple of pieces. I can't say that I babied the book, but It went everywhere with me. It was my "religious book" in my "personal area" in Basic Training, It spent many shifts in a huge pocket in my canvas coat in a sawmill during a cold winter in Montana in 74. The cover was rent with cigarette burns and unidentifiable markings of all types. I have many missing pages, although until the last few years, any missing in section 1 could be found in section 3, and visa versa. Although I am a Lutheran by birth, I have used the I Ching as a roadmap for my life. If my old disintegrating 2nd Ed, could talk, it would tell you a very amazing story, a hundred times longer than it's 800 some pages. I don't know if the word "hippy" applies to me, except prefaced by "old" and used by people to describe me when I'm not around. I never gave it much though. As the 3rd edition is being shipped, I am preparing a shrine for the old one. If there is ever a Hippy Museum, I'll donate my old copy. At 45, I don't think the new one will suffer the same beating. " Life leads the thoughtful man on a road of many windings.."

5.0 out of 5 stars The best translation to a Western language ever produced., March 29, 1997
By A Customer
What we have here is probably the oldest written work in continuous use in the history of the human race--something on the order of 3000 to 5000 years! Confucius spent a major portion of his life studying and annotating it (unfortunately, much of his work has been lost), and it has been a source of advice and guidance to sages and rulers in the Orient throughout that time.

You may have heard that it is used in Chinese fortune-telling, and it is--but not in the Occidental sense of that term. Without going into lengthy explanations, let me just say that the Chinese hit on an understanding of--and a way of practically applying--Chaos Theory, thousands of years before Western physicists coined the term. As to whether or not it "works", I can attest that it does. But don't take my word for it--try it yourself!

There are many different translations of this work--so why choose this one? This particular edition is not just a translation, but a transliteration. Richard Wilhelm worked closely with a leading Chinese scholar to make sure that the work would be comprehensible to the Occidental mind. And believe me, the ideas involved do not readily translate into any Western language.

To make sure that these ideas could be truly grasped by Westerners, the editors translated the work from Chinese into German, from German into English, and then translated the work from English back into Chinese, thus ensuring that the ideas survived the transitions intact.

Unless you were raised in the language, customs, and culture of the Orient, this is not just the best edition, it is the ONLY edition. This is indeed one of the greatest works of philosopy and literature ever produced by our species. Needless to say, I highly recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars The only version that lets you experience the I Ching., November 30, 1998
By A Customer
For anyone interested in the I Ching, this is the only version that approximates the real experience. Richard Wilhelm does much more than translate the words, he lets the western mind into the idea and philosophy of this great book. All other versions I've read trivialize the I Ching, this one lets its true greatness through.

5.0 out of 5 stars +++ The Classic Book of Changes +++, February 25, 2006
In this reader's experience, the Bollingen Wilhelm/Baynes Book of Changes remains the deepest rendition of the I Ching in English. My understanding is that the Wilhelms were of a Mystical Christian Tradition, as well as early Archetype Psychology followers. When dealing with the Spiritual Archetypes and supporting cosmology of the Book of Changes, it would seem that such a background can only be helpful. Read further into their line of I Ching commentary books to perhaps see this independantly. The Wilhelms were scholars in Old and New Chinese language and script as well. MOST importantly they had a direct, deep and long immersion into the LIVING Old Chinese Tradition, via being in PRE World War Two China, with its traditional scholars -- before DEADLY invasion, civil war and communism. In direct support of the above assertions the first paragraph from the preface is quoted in full below.

(...) "After the Chinese revolution, when Tsingtao became the residence of a number of scholars of the old school, I met among them my honored teacher Lao Nai-hsuean. I am indebted to him not only for a deeper understanding of the Great Learning, the Doctrine of the Mean, and the Book of Mencius, but also because he first opened my mind to the wonders of the Book of Change. Under his experienced guidance I wandered entranced through this strange and yet familiar world. The transilation of the text was made after detailed discussion. Then the German version was retransilated into Chinese and it was only after the meaning of the text had been fully brought out that we considered our version to be truly a transilation."

The I Ching, or,  Book of Changes (Bollingen Series XIX)
The I Ching, or, Book of Changes (Bollingen Series XIX) by Richard Wilhelm (Hardcover - October 21, 1967)
$24.95 $14.09