Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Chippewa Men's 11" 27911 Engineer Boot
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 13, 2010
I have owned many styles and brands of engineer boots but I have found the pair that shadows them all. Comfortable right out of the box and unique in design these boots are well worth the money. The cowboy boot style mixes well with the classic engineer. from the supple bomber jacket leather all the way down to the brass buckles these boots are beautifully crafted and have many points of articulation. You have to see them in person to really appreciate the detail that was put into making this great boot. I suggest measuring your foot by the chippewa size chart.I measured mine and my boots fit like they were made for my foot.
on October 19, 2010
This is a solid modern engineer boot, still made in the USA. Chippewa has been making boots before your grand daddy was born. One of the original bootmakers of the US, this brand, now a branch of Justin Boots, is still alive and kicking. Vintage Chippewa engineer boots are extremely collectable, sometimes going for over $1000 if in good condition. That being said, you can get your own piece of American manufacturing history, but at a much more affordable price.

This has a rough-out (suede side out) leather upper and Vibram full rubber soles. It also has a Goodyear welt which makes repairing or resoling this boot a cinch. A Goodyear welt is the automated process of attaching the mid-sole to the upper using a separate leather strip (welt). This welt process dates back to the 1800's and was done by hand. It is still done by hand by many bespoke shoemakers, but we're taking about a different price range here.

I really recommend putting in a good pair of insoles, because this boot is pretty bare bones. You'll thank me later. I've owned my pair for over 5 years, with one full re-sole and exchanged the hardware. (For aesthetics only) It's developed great patina and looks like it'll be a classic for the next generation.
on August 1, 2013
I have short, slightly wide feet, usually wearing an 8 in sneakers and breaking them in til the width stretches out. I was very pleased that the 7.5EE fits more or less perfectly without any of the "tough it out" period that often goes along with leather boots.

These boots have a nice substantial sole and heel of hard rubber. While I might not wear it on icy sidewalks it has plenty of grip for wet weather otherwise. The leather is what drew me to these specific boots- IIt reminds me a lot of a suede that's been impregnated with oils or wax. It's thinner than I expected, which is a mixed bag- thin soft leather obviously is more comfortable to wear, especially during break-in, but some people (myself included) are fond of the look and substantialness of thicker leathers. At the price point, I'm not going to ding stars or complain much about it.

The shaft of these boots is pretty narrow, which is also mixed bag- it keeps them unobtrusive and looking good under slimmer cut pants or jeans, but on the other hand you may not be able to just shove your foot right in there.

Overall I'm very pleased, and looking forward to seeing how this leather breaks in.
on December 4, 2012
Overall I have been pleased with my order. I wear a size 13 tennis shoe and typically wear a size smaller boot. I bought the boots after reading reviews on how comfortable they are. They work well for work and leisure. The only complaint I have is that one boot arrived with a noticeably rougher suede finish than the other. I thought the rougher finish would smooth some with wear but it did not. In hindsight, I would have returned the boots for a different pair that matched better. Otherwise, no complaints. They have been very durable thus far.
on December 11, 2014
I've read many reviews that say these boots run a half size larger but I strongly disagree. I've had my foot professionally measured as a size 10 and because of my arch will buy 10.5 or 11 in boots such as Thororgood, Bates and Ariat. I have owned other Chippewa boots such as the Katahdin Iron Works Boot from LL Bean, and the 10EE was just bit too small. I just purchased this Engineer Boot in size 10.5M and with med wt boot socks they just fit (almost too small) and I as I have read from a few other reviews the left boot seemed harder to get on (an my left foot is slightly more narrow than my right). I like the boot though not as excited as others, its certainly not the most comfortable but tolerable. I wish I had a boot store in my state that that not only advertised being a Chippewa retailer but actually had some inventory that I could try them on. I don't mind buying online but it sure is nice to be able to try something on sometimes. I do like the look, leather and workmanship of the boot. Would I buy them again? I'll just have to see how these wear over time.
on January 10, 2014
I really like these. I wore boots all the time many years ago and have just started going back to them again. This fit perfectly. I'm in a strange place between size 8 and 8-1/2. The measuring tool at the shoe store puts me at almost a standard width 9 but my feet swim in 9's. Most shoes fit me best as an 8 wide and that's what I got with these. I tried on three alternatives to decide. 8 regular, 8 wide, and 8'1/2 regular. They start out difficult to get on but once there -- very comfortable. I wear these all day long -- both for working outdoors and just kicking around.
on April 17, 2015
These boots are very high quality. Unfortunately, I have to return them. They fit a little large, so I recommend ordering a 1/2 size smaller than what you normally wear. Insoles helped, but not enough. The heel has too much slip. I would just exchange them for the right size, but the price jumps significantly. I ordered from Boot Barn, which offers 10% off with first purchase (Code: EW1541) and free shipping. I only wore them for about 30 minutes and couldn't take the heel slip anymore, other than that I'd highly recommend this boot. Straight from the box you can tell these are very well made. Also, they're made in the USA. I'd much rather pay $200 for USA made than $100 for Chinese junk.
on September 22, 2011
Have had these boots for 6 months so far. Other boots I have had ran a 1/2 size too big, Chippewa matched my foot size exactly. It did take a couple weeks to break in before they were very comfortable for all day wear. I use them for work and motorcycle. The main strap seems kind of thin but works well. The suede will soak up the water if not taken care of with water repellent. At this point, I am very happy with them and would buy another pair.
on November 5, 2015
Very nice boots, I hate to send them back. If they would have had a D width I would have exchanged them. They look fantastic, just wished they would have fit better. It's hard to buy shoes or boots on line when I wear 11D in some boots and 10.5 EE in others.
on July 30, 2015
Real nice boot, but count on getting sole inserts. One thing I didn't expect and did not see in any of the other reviews. The color is darker than what my computer portrayed them as. Actually, mine aren't tan at all-rather brown, kinda' like an Irish Setter brown. Still very nice, just don't buy a tan belt to match before you see them.