on March 6, 1999
Format: Paperback
I really enjoyed this book! It is one of only two books that I know of that really explain Chiron in depth. Chiron is such an important aspect to astrology, and so few people (certainly very few lay people like myself) actually KNOW about it! I think the author does an excellent job on organizing the sections of the book. In particular, I like the fact that she breaks down Chiron's effect by sign and by house, as separate sections. I also like the way she describes how specific kinds of aspects (like Chiron trine Saturn, etc.) affect you, rather than just talking about "aspects" in general. Because she does have so many subsections, some of the subsections are brief and, thus, necessarily superficial. For instance, I would really like to know more about the interaction between Chiron and Pluto when they oppose each other! Also, I find that part of the focus of the author is based on the aspects of the people in her immediate surroundings, rather than the general public. On the other hand, she speaks of what she knows, and has studied Chiron in relation to a LOT of clients, so her personal knowledge is pretty broad-based. Very upbeat, and fun, book, overall.
on February 13, 2013
Format: Paperback
A quotation from the book:

"Chiron's presence in the eighth house signifies a titanic struggle with the earthly desires: sex, money, power, and immortality. This is the relative that every family remembers for generations, the one who grabbed everyone's rightful inheritance and could not be trusted. My files were particularly low on clients with this position because they are very secretive. They often spend their whole lives conniving to control others and take away their money....

"This is the classic position of the conniving woman at home who poisons her husband."

Perhaps Llewellyn thought that they were republishing a classic work on astrology when they reissued this book in 1994. I thought, when it appeared on the 'dollar' cart at my favorite used bookstore, that I truly might learn something of significance from it about the ways in which Chiron touches our lives. I was wrong: this "pioneering" work reveals more about the author and her baggage- her obsession with power- than it does the influence of an asteroid, popularly referred to as the "Wounded Healer."

Two of those closest and dearest to me have Chiron hovering in the eighth house of their natal charts, and they bear no resemblance to the powerless fiends whom the author pigeon-holes so horrifically in these pages.

It is simple for me to place this book one step down from where I found it ~ in our recycling bin. More difficult the situation must be for individuals who sought out the author for therapy. She appears to have perceived them as mere cases for her files.

I look forward to finding and reading a more enlightened and balanced work on Chiron.
on October 8, 2006
Format: Paperback
I've been an astrologer for 30+ years, and have a large library on the subject. I have a particular fondness for this one because it is the only book, whether on Chiron (of which I have several) or others relevant to chart interpretation, which revealed my "life plan" adequately (which is, as one might surmise, indicated by Chiron's placement in my chart). As for Clow's references to Nibiru ("the strange planet" another reader spoke of), I thought it pertinent. Of course, I am a Zecharius Sitchin fan, but I think most astrologers believe there is at least one more planet out there (12 signs, 12 planets). Barbara Clow, to some, might be an acquired taste, but ah, the irony of astrology proponents calling others "far out".
on April 1, 2009
Format: Paperback
I can't tell if Barbara Hand Clow is insane or a genius. Indeed there are times when the book is "too weird" as one reviewer put it. Clow makes frequent use her own terminology (chirotic, holographic) and makes statements without any proof or rational explanation. One example is her belief in the existence of the lost planet of Nibiru, which according to her is a planet of such irregular orbit that its existence has been lost to modern humanity. Ah, so much for that empirical evidence.

But then it's empirical evidence that Clow excels out. She's gone through 600 + astrology charts to come up with her own conclusions on how Chiron manifests in natives' charts and is representative of karma. Its these sections, especially her chapter on the Chirotic aspect structure, that really shows her genius.

Although I wish the book was more grounded and better edited, what Clow has created is an excellent in depth look at Chiron that contains nuggets of rich information. A perfect book for intermediate astrology students looking to take their knowledge further.
on September 16, 2008
Format: Paperback
While it can take a mind on fire to follow some of Clow's intuitive leaps, you can bet that with a Mercury in Capricorn, they are well-planned leaps that carry the weight of authority. But this is not just a book about Chiron - there is a cornucopia of great astrology in here as well. Clow is handing out the secrets of the universe as if they were Halloween candy, which is just the type of attitude and activity that Chiron requests of all of us.
on February 4, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
The emotional body as an entity is the densest part of our perceptual vehicles. In order to move it and clear it, we must integrate it with our Higher Self/I Am Presence. The Moon, the emotional body as an entity is going to block progress until we learn to activate the power of balancing the North Node right on the midheaven. We must learn to suck in all the power of Mars - ruled South Node on the 1C, activating it with the fusion of the balance/Higher Self/(I Am Presence) - which is galactically connected because it is ruled by Libra/Nibiru - and shoot energy into a cleared emotional body/Moon in our relationships. This (sample) chart tells us that this is the direction of our healing, that it is the vehicle Chiron created in order to do the work. It also means a dense and blocked emotional body will dull kundalini response energy because the North/South Node axis is the chakra axis, with the Cancer Moon squaring it.

The Planet Chiron was sighted November 1, 1977. Pluto's moon Charon was sighted in 1978. The Ferryman to the Underworld in Roman mythology is Charon.

I appreciated the information that if we say yes to an experience and we receive energy, cosmic attunement and an alignment, we will move into a zone of hearing and knowing what to do and not to do at all times. Once we align ourselves a few times and we become familiar with that energy, we cannot say "no" when our Higher Self/(I Am Presence) asks us to bring in something really difficult and important. By saying no, we will probably lose our balance and our alignment forever.

The benefit of going into past lives is that instead of returning to first grade each lifetime, we can bring out what we already know back into our consciousness and work from that point of awareness. But one should have a trained guide when going into past lives because this involves travel in the astral plane.

Another lesson learned here is the difference between pity and compassion. If we pity a person we could take on their karma. With true compassion we don't take on their karma. With compassion we are just responding from deep inside the heart chakra. We have nothing to fear when we respond from compassion from the heart.

Rituals of the ancient days are meant to end as we move into the Age of Aquarius.

The magician skills can be used for good or evil. It's up to the individual to decide. The magicians of our times are the atomic scientists, and the alchemists of our day are the chemists who are altering our genetic fabric.

Complete Pluto transformation is freedom from poor habits and responses and the gift of clear will. Pluto rules the most intense clearing of our karmic Earth experience according to the overall plan of our Higher Self/(I Am Presence), which chooses what we are to do here. Before, we would leave the body and see the divine after death, now we can experience ecstasy, samadhi, rapture, bliss, while in physical form. Except for a few highly trained masters in the past, this is a new dimension open to all beings since 1977.

An interesting note about healing is that no one ever heals anyone else. We are channels for the divine and learn to get out of the way.

In ancient Egypt, the initiate would lighten a stone with third-eye power, and then move the stone into place.

The heart chakra is blocked in males. The throat chakra is blocked in females.

It is time for astrologers to teach with Chiron about how to live on Earth in harmony with wisdom and the Higher Self/(I Am Presence).

Chiron rules Virgo. Chiron can be a healer or a killer. Chiron is the bridge to subtle realms.

It would be wise to find an astrologer who knows how to work with Chiron, since not all of them do, as the author says that: Chiron square Moon: Channeling and drugs are dangerous for these natives. Also, Chiron opposite the Moon: The native has difficulty keeping the auric field clear and is open to astral interference - they have boundary problems.

The old days of cookbook astrology are over. I think here she may be referring to those astrologers who simply try to foretell the future and do not help people "determine their sacred skill and initiate them into their quest."

Many of the present day male political leaders are blocking Aquarian energy with great force. I don't know why she only mentions males, since it is well known that some female politicians are also trying to block this Aquarian energy.

Zane Stein is the founder of Associates for Studying Chiron. He has a website. Perhaps you can Google it, if interested.

Even if you don't understand astrology, you may still enjoy this book since she writes about a lot of esoteric information and you will also learn a lot of history about Chiron. I'll just briefly say here that Chiron is a Centaur, half-animal, half-human guide who can direct us deeply into the wounded parts of our emotional body. Chiron is the planet that rules clearing the body and releasing the deepest pain. There is not one disease that cannot be healed just by our own thoughts.

I highly recommend this book.
on January 23, 2011
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Barbara Hand Clow is widely recognized as one of the preeminent scholars on the topic of Chiron. She has been studying "The Wounded Healer" (Chiron) apparently since its appearance in 1977 and can be thanked for creating much of the early difinitive literature on the topic within the Astrological community. Essentially, this book seems to be the intersection of her research since the late '70s and examples of how she has seen 'Chirotic' energy manifested in numerous charts encountered throughout her practice. That said, it's clearly not a book for people who want an introduction to Chiron. There are no Astrology Basics covered for the novice reader. This piece of writing is geared toward practicing astrologers. I'm fairly well-versed on the subject of Chiron (for how much verse is out there--comparatively not all that much) and voraciously read everything I can get my hands on. I bought this book off of Amazon.com along with "Chiron and the Healing Journey" by Melanie Reinhart, which I also highly recommend, and found surprising depths and unprecedented insights in Hand Clow's writings. It's clear she has a deep reservoir of knowledge and personal experience here, rather than just repackaging or reinterpreting something we've already heard before. She includes a lot of esoteric extras, as in her chapter "Chiron Miscelaneous," which give us some of the emerging Chirotic themes that can be applied to successfully bridging the healing and soul evolution of the client (Chiron rules both wounding and healing,) or just as aptly, our own. Hand Clow's observations are truly packed with one-of-a-kind pearls of information only someone who put the time into their own dedicated research would have at their disposal. For Chiron in the 10th house, my own placement, she managed to ferret out the creeping suspicion I've had about secretly wanting to join a convent, as she explains the vast majority of individuals she has seen with this placement either become nuns, priests, priestesses, or have secondary involvement in religous realms. (Phew, so that's where that comes from!) If this book lacked for anything it was length in key chapters--namely the "cook book" section that describes the placement of Chiron in each of the individual signs, houses, and its resulting aspects, which is why I denied it a star. But all in all, if you're building a Chiron library, this book is a must.
on June 15, 2013
Format: Paperback
Purchased this book on the advice of a mentor, hoping to integrate analysis of Chiron into my professional astrology practice. Unfortunately, the amount of energy required to decipher what the heck Clow is talking about may make that impossible. She relies on what even she refers to as "space language" and the often intriguing descriptions of Chiron's planetary aspects, for instance, are derailed constantly by muddled assertions like, "Chiron square Mars creates a tendency to try and avoid transmutation" or "The splitting of the atom was a violation of the holographic galactic essence because of the consciousness of the scientists involved." Say what?

As a practitioner, I feel my responsibility to offer clients practical, accessible insight that they can put into practice immediately. The material in this book does not equip me to do this. I'm not willing to say it's because Clow is too "crazy"--I do get the sense that when push comes to shove, she knows what she's talking about with Chiron. I do however wish she had hired a ghost writer to help her translate her dreamy inner dialogue into a vernacular the rest of us can understand.
Format: Paperback
This book sheds great light on Chiron, modern and ancient times, the universe, and all patterns of personal and spiritual evolution. Every astrologer should read it. And everyone interested in the truth of life.

Barbara Hand Clow is one the true giants of astrology and this is one of her key masterpieces.

In my forty year full-time career as a professional astrologer, I have put Chiron in over 50,000 readings, and have benefited enormously from the insights of Barbara Hand Clow on the subject.

Can she be a bit, how shall we put it, "idiosyncratic" in her interpretations? I certainly hope so. Deep intuition doesn't follow the staid furrows cut by second rate minds. And no one interpretation in astrology will apply to everyone, given other influences in the whole chart. But, overall, this is an indispensable work to the understanding of the subtle and profound mysteries of this vital astrological significator known as Chiron.

And rather than merely being "food for thought," it is a twelve-course banquet.
on December 28, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I bought this book, looking for some real insights into chiron. Practical application, real life interpretation. The author tries hard to push the view that chiron should be associated with the 6th house, which is natural, but not belonging or associated with sagittarius, the natural ruler of chiron.
She continues to ramble on & on about mythical approches from chiron, but in truth, real practical, to the point information is lacking.
I consider it okay, for it has some interesting ideas about the esoteric body, however, it did not help me with my chiron, seeing how the book is old. She could not say in depth anything about my house position of chiron or sign seeing how chiron in pisces is something that has not yet been recorded. It was very dissapointing & when we are looking for real, straight facts about chiron for the first time, this book is a definite hands down.
Like other reviews have stated, the book is down right weird and hard to follow.