5.0 out of 5 stars You gotta love it when cooking is this easy!
Published on November 19, 2001 by Stephanie Manley

2.0 out of 5 stars Get the First Book
Published on September 17, 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars You gotta love it when cooking is this easy!, November 19, 2001
This review is from: Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor (Paperback)
Now there are times when we can't prepare something from scratch, and this book is perfect for those times. By adding a few extra ingredients that are readily available in your pantry, you can turn somethin ordinary into something people will rave about, and beg you for the recipe. Meanwhile you have accomplished this with a boxed cake mix, and things you normally have in the pantry. I like this book more than the first book, as well it has one of the things that I enjoy the most.... Chocolate. This book is packed with all sorts of recipes for cake(Chocolate Sour Cream Cake), brownies (Kaluhua Cream Cheese Brownies), and many other tasty creations. The book is well written, easy to read and filled with serving suggestions and so much more. I would highly recommend this book to you if you are looking for something a little special.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Up Another Winner, October 31, 2001
"luvamoose67" (Carolina, RI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor (Paperback)
This is a terrific follow-up to The Cake Mix Doctor. This time around though, the recipes focus on a broader variety of desserts that can be made from chocolate cake and brownie mixes. Making a few simple substitutions and/or additions to a basic chocolate cake or brownie mix can give you a dessert that will silence most "cake mix doubters". No one will believe the Triple Decker Chocolate Raspberry Cake began with a mix!
This time, Chocolate From the Cake Mix Doctor adds more variety than just chocolate cakes with a larger number of brownies, muffins, bars and little cakes than seen in the previous book. As in her first CMD book, Byrn gives recipes for terrific scratch frostings which are what really set these cakes apart. There are clear tips and suggestions in a thoroughly updated first section and great ideas in neat boxes at nearly every recipe. My favorite thing about the book is the website that goes along with it, where bakers can ask questions about a recipe in the book and get reviews and suggestions from other bakers.
If you are a fan of chocolate, bake a lot or are looking for a way to make your chocolate cakes a bit less ordinary--this book will not disappoint you.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good if not better than the first!!, October 28, 2001
This review is from: Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor (Paperback)
This book may not be appreciated by the from scratch purists but it definitely is the book for those short on time. Plus it's fun factor is off the charts!! Anne Byrn puts together another tasty collection, with fantastic pictures to boot, for bakers to drool over. Focusing on chocolate this time around she sticks with the succesful format of her first book and adds a questions and answer section based on questions that arose from her first succesful Cake Mix Doctor book. There is much more focus on decorating the cakes this time around but don't be alarmed---the decorating is as easy as putting the cake together. If you haven't discovered the Cake Mix Doctor yet then this is the time.
For those who are well familiar with the first book there are a few repeats which might be a disappointment but the myriad of new recipes should make up for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Many Ideas For Little Cost, March 23, 2003
Big-Z (Heavenly Valley, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor (Paperback)
This book is a blessing for anyone with limited time who does not want to make cakes from scratch. I have tried a dozen from this book, adjusted them to my altitude (7,500 feet) and they were great. I recommend this book without reservation at twice the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor, December 2, 2001
"sassy519" (Hammond, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor (Paperback)
I purchased "Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor" about a month ago. I've tried nearly 6 recipes in that time. It is so easy to follow the recipes. She gives helpful hints. One thing I like most is that there are so many bundt cake recipes, which I find are easier to make to transport to functions than a layer cake. I enjoyed this book so much I just ordered her other book "The Cake Mix Doctor". All I can say is "try it you'll like it".

5.0 out of 5 stars Scrumptious and decadent chocolate desserts!, June 7, 2003
This review is from: Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor (Paperback)
I have only made a couple of recipes from this book, but they have been very well received. Nobody can believe they come from a mix! The book has a wide variety of recipes for cakes and other concoctions. If you're on a diet or watching your carb intake, these recipes are not for you! There are a few "light" recipes, but they would still be forbidden on any diet I know of! The cookie recipes seem a bit involved; I'm looking for quick and easy preparation with flavorful and fabulous results and the recipes for cakes and brownies give the most bang for the effort. I also like that she seems to have cut down on the number of recipes containing alcohol; the original Cake Mix Doctor had a whole lot of "saucy" cakes. Besides the great recipes, the book discusses common add-ins for cake mixes and gives lots of suggestions and hints. I found it informative and entertaining, as well as an excellent source of recipes. When I was too busy to bake anything for our last potluck at work, everyone was so disappointed that I brought a frozen cheesecake instead of one of these wonderful cakes! The best part is that the cakes are very moist! Excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars CHOCOLATE! CHOCOLATE! CHOCOLATE!!!, October 25, 2001
This review is from: Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor (Paperback)
I just got the new CMD CHOCOLATE book yesterday!!! Anne, my friend, you have OUTDONE yourself!! I am so stunned I can't get past the pictures!! Even my dear husband said 'Let me see what all the fuss is about...WOW, look at THAT one!' I mean, Cappucino Angel Food Mousse Torte?! Frozen Chocolate Neopolitan Cake?! Ooo la la - you really know how to hurt a girl! Thanks Anne for your hard work in turning out another AMAZING book. I especially appreciate the ideas for elegant (but SIMPLE) finishing touches - a real inspiration for those bakers like myself that enjoy 'kicking things up a notch' (can you tell I am a FoodTV junkie?)! The cakes in this book have definite WOW FACTOR and are SURE to be crowd pleasers. I can't wait to get started on the new recipes! THANKS AGAIN! Franny

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful & Fantastic Recipes..., July 11, 2006
This review is from: Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor (Paperback)
This is on of the BEST cake cookbook you can buy!!! It focuses on chocolate cakes (my personal preference)... The best recipes (in my opinion) in this book are the "Ever-So-Moist Chocolate Cake" on pg 37, "My Favorite Birthday Cake" on pg 39, and the "Chocolate Midnight Cake" on pg 55.... If you haven't tried "The Cake Mix Doctor" ~ You really ought to consider purchasing that one as well. This one is mainly chocolate recipes and the other one focuses on a general variety of cakes & cookie type desserts. I have both, and both receive a good workout faithfully ~ What with cake sales, birthdays, office parties... I highly recommend this cookbook!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Get the First Book, September 17, 2002
By A Customer
I agree with the reviewers who said not to bother getting this book if you have the first one. I was really looking forward to this book and it was a real let-down. The best recipe in this book, darn good chocolate cake (excellent, by the way), is available in the first book. I get the feeling the author was desperate to try to create enough recipes to fill this book, and it shows. Like another reviewer pointed out, the combinations are odd and often very unappetizing. Why on earth would she include not one, but TWO versions of chocolate lime cheesecake and not even one basic chocolate or chocolate chip cheesecake recipe? I can't comprehend that one. Stick to the first book, which is well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious!, December 16, 2001
This review is from: Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor (Paperback)
I made the Ever-So-Moist Chocolate Cake w. a Vanilla Buttercream Frosting--my husband and guests loved it! I'm a low-key hostess--so the fact that this beautiful cake really only took 10 minutes to prepare is a real plus for me. I'm hooked--can't wait to have more dinner parties and try out more recipes!

Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor
Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn (Paperback - October 1, 2001)
$15.95 $13.97