5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what the book titel says....
Which is....: a good description of the theory behind a technique, followed by a (base) recipe in both metric and american measures and percentages, in professional quantities. Base recipes are mostly extended or followed up by some (flavor) varieties. There are troubleshooting "defects" charts which give you clues on where you went wrong.

I like this...
Published on December 18, 2012 by D.T. Bierman

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Advanced
Good information but more advanced that what most people are looking for I believe. Use would require a lot of specialized equipment that for most is beyond what they will want to do. For the very serious chocolatier who wants to invest a good deal in what they do it would be a very good resource.
Published 11 months ago by Ralph Clegg

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what the book titel says...., December 18, 2012
This review is from: Chocolates and Confections: Formula, Theory, and Technique for the Artisan Confectioner (Hardcover)

I like this book so much that I've bought this second edition (which is extended with some extras) even though I already own the first print. That one now sits on a shelve in between lots of different sugars it has forced me to buy, at work.

I use these sort of books to teach myself (a reasonably technically accomplished savory chef), some of the more in depth pastry techniques. It saves me lots of money on courses and gives me a feeling of achievement doing it this way, but the delicate nature of the main ingredients, chocolate and sugar in this case, do take quite a bit of practice to handle properly I find.
This book holds its place on my main shelve at home next to Migoya's "frozen desserts", wich has a very similar approach and layout to its own subject (also CIA). I do own some other descent pastry books by Valrhona (ecole du chocolat) and Ducasse for instance. But, in my bookcase, the way and clarity in which the recipes are initiated and presented (a table chart) can only be topped by Modernist Cuisine and they don't do the sweet stuff I'm afraid.

I'd like a similar book on dough's and batters in this format, so tips are welcome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - illustrated the food science behind recipes, February 23, 2013
I purchased Chef Greweling's book based on some recommendations. It is unique inits broad range of confections, and also discusses using certain techniques and the food science behind making a recipe work. The photographs mouth watering.

I had a rare opportunity to talk with Chef Greweling. He is compassionate in what he does.

This book cannot be compared with printing a random recipe from the Internet. There is a big difference using his professioanl recipes and most important, understanding why a simple technique such as incorporating one liquid into another has a right way to make that recipe spot on!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE chocolate book to buy to learn about chocolate making, September 21, 2013
I recently took several chocolate making classes from Chef Marco Ropke, head pastry chef at the Beijing Ritz Carlton during the 2008 Olympics, and in class, he basically suggested that if we were to buy any one chocolate book, THIS book was it.

Why? It's a comprehensive 4 in 1 book:

1) The science behind chocolate, sugarwork and the various components. Why might you want to include glucose in your chocolate and not just any sugar syrup? What is the difference between using agar-agar, gelatin, pectin and cornstarch in making gummies and jellies? This type of information helped me better understand why some of the steps to chocolate making mattered, and also gave me more comfort in knowing where I could deviate from recipes (e.g. I can add whatever liquid flavourings I want so long as I add them at the right time and keep my fats to liquid ratio consistent).

2) Techniques - how do you temper chocolate? how do you make aero-bar style chocolates? what's the proper way to handle ganaches or molded chocolates? how do you make a praline or marzipan? what's the secret to those meltaway type chocolates? what about the honeycomb material inside crunchie bars?

3) Troubleshooting - invariably a chocolate recipe will go wrong. how do you save a ganache that's been separated? why did your pates de fruit sweat and what can you do about it?

4) LOADS of really delicious recipes from chai tigers to a thai lemongrass truffle or toucan passionfruit chocolate to marshmallows, nougats, chocolate bars, candy crisps, caramels, fudges and more. I made several recipes (scaled down since the recipes are for ~180 truffles each!) from the book and they have all been hits. I have ordered more chocolate and I can't wait to try more.

The book also included suggested equipment and a brief explanation of some of the tools and why they were important.

The one thing missing from the book that I wish they spent time on was decorating in general -- the different techniques for finishing chocolates such as adding chocolate swirls, etc. To be fair each recipe has a description for how to finish the chocolate such as adding bits of salt or adding candied fruit bits and they did show you how to make spiked chocolates, but I wanted to know more about selecting colours and other types of chocolate flourishes.

In all it's a pricey, but valuable book that I anticipate I will be referencing a lot as I continue to learn and make chocolates.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this Book!, February 3, 2013
Marc (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
If you're serious about exploring the chocolate and confectionery arts, this is the book to get. It's a big textbook packed full of information and recipes. It explains the "why" of the process and thus gives you a foundation to build on. I own a couple other chocolate books but this one is my "go to" manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant reference book Do yourself a favour buy it !!!, April 9, 2013
I now have both versions of this book and find them to be excellent reference books.I did my apprenticeship as a chocolatier over 30 years ago before I became a food technologist.This book has bought it all flooding back to me and has made me want to make chocolates again. It is well written and crystal clear. What I love about it is, that it is in imperial,metric and also gives a recipe percentage so everybody everywhere can use it. It is well illustrated and perfectly bound. The first section on ingredients and equipment beats any other book hands down and believe me I have many books on the subject. After that it just gets better and better as you progress through the book. There is only one very small downside and that is it is written for the American market and because I live in Australia there are some products that I can't source or have to work around ie: "Coco Lopez" to achieve. Like I said it is a small downside. If you like Chocolate and want to work or play with this medium do yourself a favour Buy this book or better still Buy both versions you won't be disappointed believe me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible information, but chocked full of typos., March 7, 2013
I'd like to echo everything everyone here has said in regards to the information in the book, but my one complaint is that it's full of typos. Silly things, like spelling errors and repeated words and page numbers that don't seem to have been changed for the updated edition. This isn't a huge problem by any means, but maybe something to be changed for future editions?

That being said, it's an incredible book about the subject matter and a must read for anyone looking to learn more about chocolate. It still earns 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Had to buy this textbook for school, July 16, 2013
The price for this book full price is insane. I purchased it for half the cost of the book store price. Really cool text book though. great pictures and recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great reference, April 9, 2013
This heavy volume not only provides in depth scientific discussion about all the aspects of chocolate and candy making, but it provides a huge collection of creative recipe formulas as well. All of the recipes are large batch, but can be easily sized and even include instructions for optional changes so you can understand how to alter them to fit your own flavor combination ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first, March 20, 2013
This book is very informative with countless of pictures. Used previous book for culinary class and was very impressed with it. Gave new version a try and do not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars help a lot., May 31, 2013
it have recipes that you can make it home but it's also a great book for professionals to going their recipes a level beyond.

$65.00 $43.82