Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on December 29, 2005
This pot is very simple to use if you just want to melt chocolate for baking or for fondue. It even comes with tiny little fondue forks (although admittedly, longer, nicer looking forks would have been more useful). However, if you are making candy, this pot heats the chocolate too high for tempering chocolate properly (meaning the chocolate resolidifies at room temperature with a nice sheen). You can still use it, you just need to watch it pretty carefully and keep a thermometer handy. You can pseudo-temper by not allowing the chocolate to get hotter than 96 degees F. Chocolate will start melting around 92, just don't let it get much hotter, and it will resolidify at room temp. The lowest temp setting on this device gets it up to about 109. But as I say, if you watch and stir and turn off occassionally, you can still do it.

02/08/11 edit: I've been using this device for two years, so would like to add a few notes regarding comments left by others. No, the device doesn't temper chocolate and it's not meant to. But you CAN get any chocolate (pre-tempered or not) to resolidify (a primary goal of tempering) by heating it up very carefully so it never gets very hot (as I said earlier, no hotter than about 96), stirring vigorously and frequently to aid in crystallization. The problem with this technique is that the chocolate is very thick at this temperature, so impossible to apply in a thin coat, if that's what you want. It also tends to bloom upon resolidification if you mix different chocolates or don't get it to just the perfect temp. All in all, pretty tricky for those kind of jobs. (Real tempering machines start at $400!)

If you're a dedicated candy maker, this ain't the product for you. If you just want to melt chocolate chips, use the microwave. But this is nice for fondue or, if you're not picky about final appearance, coating things per my recommended instructions above. Have fun!!!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2008
I've had this for about a year now. I can't figure out how to temper chocolate to save my life so I just melt my chocolate in this little contraption and it works well for all my needs. It melts quickly. It cleans up nicely. But when I'm dipping a couple dozen shortbread cookies or some cakeballs, I have to continually put more chocolate in but like I said, it melts quickly so it's not too bad. It would make a great gift. I've melted milk, dark & white chocolate in this as well as Wilton Candy Melts. The nicest thing about this is that the chocolate stays melted & warm as you work. I used to melt my chocolate in a Pyrex bowl in the microwave but it would not stay melted as I worked and I had to continually remelt it. This is definitely worth the price.
on January 18, 2007
My daughter is a chocoholic and got the Hershey chocolate maker toy for Christmas a few years ago. It was a disappointment. The next year we did research and found this product. She still uses it. It is very easy to use for small or large projects. It is small, which makes storing it easy. It is easy to clean (she can do it herself). If you like to do any projects which involve melting/melted chocolate I recommend this.
on August 17, 2011
I use this to dip cake pops and it works just perfect!! My only complaint is that the handle bends easily while im hand washing it but its simple to bend back into place. Ive been using for a few months now very often!! At least once a week :) i love it!
on March 13, 2012
I used this melter to make chocolate candy over christmas. It really makes life easy because you can re-heat the chocolate easily which is not the case with a messy double boiler. However if you are tempering chocolate, you have to keep a thermometer handy and make sure the temperature is not too high, since even at the lowest heat, the machine heats up too high for proper tempering. If you are careful, and a little patient, this machine is great. The cup is quite small, but I just keep adding chocolate chips as it melts, that makes sure that the temperature of the chocolate drops, and i melt more chocolate at the same time. Its really a great machine and makes chocolate making such a pleasure.

The molds that come with it are pretty much cheap useless plastic, so get your own molds if you intend to make chocolate candies. The spatula is small and feels cheap but is useful to get all the chocolate out of the cup. The drip rack is also useful, since it reduces the damage to the chocolate coating when you dip fruit for example.
on March 8, 2007
i originally bought this pot to use as both a fondue and chocolate melter. it doesnt work too well for fondue, unless if you're using just plain chocolate. as a chocolate melter however, its great, except if you're melting white chocolate.
on August 29, 2014
It works great for the size, but it's extremely small, just wish it was bigger. I tried for example doing chocolate covered pretzels and you really can only get a few in there at a time, making something that shouldn't take so long take hours for only a small batch, especially since you can only do a few at a time then wait to re=melt again because it only holds a small amount of chocolate, etc.
on April 24, 2014
This set is a great value, it comes with everything you need but the chocolate to begin candy production. Perfect size for young kids to make some batches, on the small side for anything else.
on December 27, 2010
You can not use this product in Australia as we have the wrong voltage and you would have to purchase a converter which would cost more than the product.A dud for us.